Big Complaint

R

RCastillo

I went to a fancy athletic club today to get some private work in for myself. About an hr later some IKC people(who are way lower ranked than I am) proceed to take over the floor.(they do have a class there during the week) The just ignored me and showed no respect at all, didn't say a word. I quietly went next door as I assumed they were there for a test, or something.

As I worked out in the next room, they didn't even have the courtesy to say anything as they interupted my workouts several times.

Is this the way those people are brought up? No manners?

Naturally, I didn't say any thing as these are not my people, but I was brought up respecting a BB, no matter who they were.

Sad indeed.

RCastillo:

Were you wearing your uniform (specifically your belt)? Is it possible they didn't see you? If you were and they did, I would definitely mention it to the instructor, as that sounds like something he/she would want to know -- sounds like it could be an excellent opportunity for a lecture about the core values the arts are supposed to teach us.

Originally posted by pknox
RCastillo:

Were you wearing your uniform (specifically your belt)? Is it possible they didn't see you? If you were and they did, I would definitely mention it to the instructor, as that sounds like something he/she would want to know -- sounds like it could be an excellent opportunity for a lecture about the core values the arts are supposed to teach us.

I sure was, decked all out. So much for values.:(

Originally posted by RCastillo
I sure was, decked all out. So much for values.:(

Please tell me the instructor wasn't with the group when it happened.

I hear Rodney Dangerfield saying...... "I get no respect..... No respect at all....! then loosens uniform top and straightens belt, while eyes roll up.....:rofl: :asian:

That's a hard move to pull off without the requisite red necktie. ;)

I went to a fancy athletic club today to get some private work in for myself. About an hr later some IKC people(who are way lower ranked than I am) proceed to take over the floor.(they do have a class there during the week) The just ignored me and showed no respect at all, didn't say a word. I quietly went next door as I assumed they were there for a test, or something.

As I worked out in the next room, they didn't even have the courtesy to say anything as they interupted my workouts several times.

Naturally, I didn't say any thing as these are not my people, but I was brought up respecting a BB, no matter who they were.

Sad indeed.
Don't paint w/ a large brush. Maybe these were some bad seeds, maybe their instructor would have 'called'em on it' if he/she/they'd seen this conduct.
I don't know much about he IKC, but Kenpoists of any ilk are still humans.
Your Brother
John

I went to a fancy athletic club today and some IKC people proceed to take over the floor. The just ignored me and showed no respect at all, didn't say a word.

Well, complain to the source of their system.... Chuck Sullivan and Vic LeRoux......@

http://www.ikca-kenpo.com/

:asian:

Ricardo,
If not Vic or Chuck, get a hold of Joey Cadena. He is out of Falfurrias, and is the head instructor of the IKCA'ers at the CCAC.

Better yet, find out when they are having class and drop in on them. Introduce yourself, and let Joey know you recognize his students from thier lack of respect.

Gary C.

in general, good manners seems have to been declining most everywhere!
all we can do is be the ones to set the good example even though is sure isn't always easy!!

Originally posted by stickarts
In general, good manners seems have to been declining most everywhere!

This one really amazes me. Being courteous not only applies in the Martial Arts but really in Life in general! This is something that should be taught in all areas of our society from day one.

Whether you call them formalities, protocol, behavior, p's and I'd, being courteous, mannerly, considerate, respectful, thoughtful, or other words I didn't think of, it never hurts, it buys a lot of social real estate, and is just plain good business!

Where did we go wrong?
:(

Originally posted by Kalicombat
Ricardo,
If not Vic or Chuck, get a hold of Joey Cadena. He is out of Falfurrias, and is the head instructor of the IKCA'ers at the CCAC.

Better yet, find out when they are having class and drop in on them. Introduce yourself, and let Joey know you recognize his students from thier lack of respect.

Gary C.

I did just that, write Mr. Cadena, with all due respect to him/his wife. My main point to him is that the young have no ehtics/manners, so I do not blame him/fault him because he has youngsters under him that can't think.:asian:

P.S. This was very hard for me to do.

there is an old saying " you can learn MA but nobody will teach you how to behave, ONLY yourself"

i see people showing disrespect and being selfish almost every where i go. It is really sad.

you can complain this to the head of instructor and if it doesn't work, file a complain at better business bureau.

your problem will be solved

Originally posted by Brother John
Don't paint w/ a large brush. Maybe these were some bad seeds, maybe their instructor would have 'called'em on it' if he/she/they'd seen this conduct.
I don't know much about he IKC, but Kenpoists of any ilk are still humans.
Your Brother
John

I didn't, and I know we're all human, and I myself pray, and work everyday to be better. Problem is, most people don't think anymore.:asian:

Originally posted by pknox
Please tell me the instructor wasn't with the group when it happened.

Didn't see him, cause knowing Mr. Cadena, he seems to be pretty nice.:asian:

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
I hear Rodney Dangerfield saying...... "I get no respect..... No respect at all....! then loosens uniform top and straightens belt, while eyes roll up.....:rofl: :asian:

Don't laugh. I just saw a RD doll for sale at Eckerds Pharmacy the other day. He must be broke, or maybe cause of Halloween.:eek:

I have to agree that this was really rude of those people. I was taught to be respectful of anyone that outranks me- but also lower ranks- everyone deserves respect. Outside of martial arts, I was taught to respect everyone- but especially my elders. There is a lot of this missing today and it is sad.

Even if you weren't in uniform, you should have received your due respect for having been in the room first and trying to work out.

:asian: :karate:

It must be their youth. If I went to a gym and saw another Kenpoist working out, even though not my system, I would get excited and try to make some type of contact. You did the right thing.

It is certainly refreshing to hear a lot of your positive comments regarding the respect or general courtesy issues...... Keep it up guys... you are my kinda martial artists & a credit to your instructors, regardless of system!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers:

Can we keep in mind it is also fairly intimidating for a low ranking student to come up and introduce themselves to a black belt whose face they don’t recognize wearing a different uniform?

I’d expect that they meant no slight, but didn’t know better. A black belt also had the opportunity to be quite an ambassador and introduce himself and subtlety guide some inexperienced students on what a more suitable protocol might be. This could have easily been a win-win situation for everyone involved.

Respectfully,

-spud-

Back