Ants in my house. Grrr....

Yeah, I don't know how many spiders I'd need to keep nesting around the inside of my front door, to eradicate an entire nest of, oh, maybe at least 5000 ants, maybe more? And constantly reproducing...I've got a feeling that at best, it would eventually balance out so that I'd have a whole bunch of spiders who are always well fed, and neither would ever actually go away. I don't much like having spiders inside the house. They give me the heebie jeebies. My living room would become the stuff of nightmares.

I will keep an eye out for larger footprints, however. Good advice on that.

I hate spiders. Actually its not to spiders themselves, because our spiders are harmless.

Its the fact that they make WEBS!

and ever since I was a little girl I'd always had a huge fear of the web.

go figure. for most people its the spider. but if it werent for the fact they make webs, I'd have no problem holding one in my hands.

Yeah, I don't know how many spiders I'd need to keep nesting around the inside of my front door, to eradicate an entire nest of, oh, maybe at least 5000 ants, maybe more? And constantly reproducing...I've got a feeling that at best, it would eventually balance out so that I'd have a whole bunch of spiders who are always well fed, and neither would ever actually go away. I don't much like having spiders inside the house. They give me the heebie jeebies. My living room would become the stuff of nightmares.

I will keep an eye out for larger footprints, however. Good advice on that.

Get spiders

They get rid of the ants

now you have a spider infestation

Just buy one anteater
Giant-anteater-4059.jpg

problem solved :D

Well, all the best...... it's not really something those with religion can pray for you on; seems kinda like overkill to be bothering the deity on something like this.

You know, spiders would have been the GREEN solution...

Not to worry you unduly, but who knows whats in that stuff you used? Remember that great sci-fi movie "Them!" ?......Look, if you start seeing strange big prints outside and the cats are hiding - Get Out Of There!!!!!
No -- mantises would have been the GREEN solution; spiders are generally more brown and black!

Hmmm... GREEN solutions, eh?

[yt]mip7hqvKpqM[/yt]

Terro liquid works — incredibly well although it takes, oh, about a week or two. But then they are GONE. (www.terro.com)

Had several colonies visiting the kitchen in our new house. Terro got 'em all within that week or two. Three at the longest.

My GF also used Terro to get rid of the ants who were visiting my apartment I lived in before we got the house — but I felt TERRIBLE about that.

See, THOSE ants and I had come to an agreement: I told them,

"Yes, you can continue to come to the restroom and get water, but NOT in large numbers, and stay OUT of my kitchen! and I won't make war upon you."

And they were keeping to their side of the deal. We had an arrangement and it was working out well. I saw very few; they just harvested some water from the bathroom and stayed out of my kitchen.

But my GF, once we started dating, decided she didn't want ANY ants in the bathroom ... and set up some Terro.

It wiped them out. Completely. In about a week or two.

I still feel guilty to this day, like Andrew "Ender" Wiggin from "Ender's Game" guilty :( only worse, because THESE buggers were keeping to our deal and hadn't done anything to deserve their fate ...

I got the GF to read Ender's Game. She liked the book but still didn't feel any guilt for killing the Apartment Ant Colony.

I'm not even joking. I really do feel bad for the Apartment Ant Colony ...

No guilt at all for the House Kitchen Ant Colony Invaders, however: I TOLD them we would be wiping them out if they didn't immediately back off our kitchen.

I used a Cypermetharen (sp?) powder and wiped out a bad ant infestation in my old place. Sprayed the cracks in teh wall where it looked like they were coming from and around the founation of the place from the outside.

I dunno how pet safe it is, but it worked wonders. I was relatively spider free that summer too after using it. You just mix it in water and spray...

Squirt Squirt, bye bye bugs. No expensive professional charges. It cost me like 15 bucks plus I bought a garden sprayer for it. I think it was like 30 bucks total.

I wanna say the Brand I used was called Demon.

i feel your pain man, i was in the bath room two days ago and saw and ant walking across my towels, found out today that their coming through my bathroom window from out side my kitchen. double grr dam insects :flame:

Usually by killing the Queen you can get rid of the colony... THAT specific colony... but there will be others... or haven't you watched any of the Alien movies? :uhyeah:

Instead of using masking tape alone try after spraying the entry hole(s) with the stuff then get a can of "great stuff" which is an expanding foam... squirt some in to the holes and then clean off the excess that oozes out... that'll effectively block the holes permanently and work it's way into their little tunnels and such.

THEN find an external (outdoor) bug retardant and spray outside along the baseline of the house to stop any from wanting to find a way in. Create a perimeter and it'll help. I spray spectracide insect killer all around the exterior of the house along the base where building meets grass/ground. We don't see bugs at all inside. So it helps.

I know that this method works for cockroaches... instead of boric acid try plain baking soda and mix it with sugar around mounds seen outside the house. The bugs work through the baking soda to get to the sweet stuff and feast... but at the same time they also busy themselves with cleaning their bodies as the fine hairs which cover the exoskeleton are used as senors to help them in their environment. Cockroaches ingest the baking soda and it turns into gas in their stomachs bloating them up and causing them to explode. It works around base lines inside the house with just plain baking soda. Like I said not sure if it'll work on ants but worth a shot. However you won't kill the queen that way... with ants killing the queen is the best way to get rid of them. See an ant with wings... that's the male... kill them too if you see 'em.

Usually by killing the Queen you can get rid of the colony... THAT specific colony... but there will be others... or haven't you watched any of the Alien movies? :uhyeah:

Instead of using masking tape alone try after spraying the entry hole(s) with the stuff then get a can of "great stuff" which is an expanding foam... squirt some in to the holes and then clean off the excess that oozes out... that'll effectively block the holes permanently and work it's way into their little tunnels and such.

THEN find an external (outdoor) bug retardant and spray outside along the baseline of the house to stop any from wanting to find a way in. Create a perimeter and it'll help. I spray spectracide insect killer all around the exterior of the house along the base where building meets grass/ground. We don't see bugs at all inside. So it helps.

I know that this method works for cockroaches... instead of boric acid try plain baking soda and mix it with sugar around mounds seen outside the house. The bugs work through the baking soda to get to the sweet stuff and feast... but at the same time they also busy themselves with cleaning their bodies as the fine hairs which cover the exoskeleton are used as senors to help them in their environment. Cockroaches ingest the baking soda and it turns into gas in their stomachs bloating them up and causing them to explode. It works around base lines inside the house with just plain baking soda. Like I said not sure if it'll work on ants but worth a shot. However you won't kill the queen that way... with ants killing the queen is the best way to get rid of them. See an ant with wings... that's the male... kill them too if you see 'em.

Geez, remind me never to get on your bad side Caver....:)

Latest Discussions

Back