Aikido by a high-ranking karateka and judoka - what do you think?

However, at 6:56 he steps to his right side while throwing a diagonal (rising) straight left.
The guy doesn't get hit with a left. The punch that lands is the reverse punch which he runs into. He probably only saw the left arm rising and never knew that the right reverse was even there. The effectiveness of that punch was largely due to the aggressive forward motion of the attack. We can actually see his face stop and his feet continue to go under as if he had ran into a clothesline or a low hanging board.

When that much forward pressure comes in, then it just multiplies the impact that is going to occur. Speaking from personal experience, the result would have been the same if he ran into a straightened arm that was held stiff. I tried to find videos of people walking into the end of planks to show the effect, but I wasn't able to find any.

Are you trying to describe the striking?

Because that is basically a check hook.

Basically yeah. But if the man teaching it in that vid has his rear hand that low he’s gonna get hooked in the head by any decent puncher.

From there everything is moot. (I watched My Cousin Vinnie again last night.)

I've always liked Shoji Nishio, mostly because his moves were just beautiful to watch. For context, Nishio was a 4th dan in Kodokan judo (under Kyuzo Mifune) and 5th dan in Shindo Jinen-ryu karate (under Yasuhiro Konishi). He studied aikido under its founder, Morihei Ueshiba, eventually obtaining 8th dan, and later went on to obtain high ranks in iaido and jodo as well.

The interesting thing with Nishio was that, as an advanced practitioner of combative Japanese martial arts, he dared to adapt aikido techniques to his vision of martial effectiveness. This results in interesting technical quirks and setups revolving around strikes, which then end up in throws/pins.

As I'd like to incorporate some of his ideas into my own work, I'm not sure I could tell apart what would work and what wouldn't, and I could use some comments from experienced practitioners that know more about fighting than I do.

For example, in the video below, his explanations from 5:32 to 7:44 seem reasonable but I'd like to hear comments from other martial artists on whether it makes sense:

Likewise for the part from 15:09 to 16:27.

So, happy to hear your takes on this!
Can you do a video of exactly what you are trying to pull off?

I am getting confused with the positions and defending judo chops and stuff.

Yes, makes sense so far. My concern was whether the positions he's demonstrating would translate into a live environment: I would tend to say yes, but some of you may see things that I don't.
From the start of the OP video, “The judo way of throwing… cannot be used in Aikido… In aikido, the opponent is unbalanced through the use of atemi [from a distance, not via gripping]... We don’t do it this way. When the opponent punches, we enter directly. Taking Initiative Instead of Blocking. This is not acceptable as a martial technique. Because when you parry him here, he will attack with the other hand. Block and counter. You can’t consider this way of doing it to be aikido… You have to have already defeated your opponent before being touched. You can’t attempt to grab after being struck. Our way of doing it is to enter, thus preventing him from striking. That’s how we execute the movement. Our way of grabbing is different too… In the usual way, you execute the movement after receiving the strike. We enter directly... We invite him to strike then enter… The hand that comes into contact with the opponent is to draw him out."

"We don't do it this way." With the front foot planted, the opponent can throw a feint, straight left, check hook or move back by pushing off the front foot...

5NxOina.jpg

“We are in this position.” From this position, the opponent is double weighted and hasn't landed his punch...

JzWodY9.jpg

Shoji makes sense. His method follows universal concepts. It applies to both striking and throwing. There is empirical evidence that it works "live" in high level fighting.

Back