wu style square form

Nonsense.
Try to stand in "outward stance" and stay low (bend your knees) and stand up (straight your knees). Repeat it 100 times. You will get the feeling yourself (I will not suggest this as a correct exercise).

If you want to move toward east, both of your knees and feet should also point to the east, or at least southeast/northeast, but never southwest/northwest.

What can be the reason that your left foot points toward east but your right foot point southwest?

Last edited:
Ok, a little interesting since topics about Wu-square form, but maybe no relevance.

That stance that Kung Fu Wang has pointed out, in Japanese is called Shiko-dachi, and that supposedly meaning Square Stance (shiko/shikaku-square/rectangle)

Ok, a little interesting since topics about Wu-square form, but maybe no relevance.

That stance that Kung Fu Wang has pointed out, in Japanese is called Shiko-dachi, and that supposedly meaning Square Stance (shiko/shikaku-square/rectangle)
Do you know the reason that people may use this stance for?

So far, the only support argument is to "open your groin" (in Taiji sense). But that's more for health than for combat.

CON:

- Invite for groin kick.
- Invite for leg spring.
- Poor balance.
- If you spring forward from that stance, you will hurt your back knee.

What can be the PRO?

Last edited:
Do you know the reason that people may use this stance for?

So far, the only support argument is to "open your groin" (in Taiji sense). But that's more for health than for combat.

CON:

- Invite for groin kick.
- Invite for leg spring.
- Poor balance.
- If you spring forward from that stance, you will hurt your back knee.

What can be the PRO?
As other poster mentioned- to drop/sink ?

Actually in my XYQ 5element link form, the move that comes immediately after the beginning 3 bengquan sequence( although I do beng/heng/beng) comes a little like that “shiko” stance, I do that move with a pull and sink intent .

The stance probably quite stable in a side to side sense.

The pic of the cover of the karate book you posted, showing the karate master in that leg stance, if look at his whole posture it may show a “take down”or locking move as a possible application of it. His right downward arm function as pressing down and away at opponent throat, while his left hand high tight to his side holding opponent left wrist, the particular leg stance may be quite suited for this action ?

As for that leg stance in single whip or as I describe I somewhat briefly comes into it during my XYQ linking forms, application wize it’s not dealing with an opponent in the way/angles/position as asking to get kicked in the bijoux

The pic of the cover of the karate book you posted, showing the karate master in that leg stance, if look at his whole posture it may show a “take down”or locking move as a possible application of it. His right downward arm function as pressing down and away at opponent throat, while his left hand high tight to his side holding opponent left wrist, the particular leg stance may be quite suited for this action ?
This stance is sometimes called "seiunchin" stance named after the kata of the same name. This goju form is largely concerned with grappling where a lower stance is advantageous. It is used in other non-goju kata as well and usually signifies some sort of grappling move. It has a specific function - not a general purpose stance.

You wouldn't be front facing to your opponent in that stance. Generally side on/angled. There are defensive moves in that stance if opponent is behind you.
Think stepping/shooting in and placing one leg between or behind opponents legs. From another stance into shiko dachi, not shooting forward while in this stance to start with. The position of the knee can push the opponents leg, breaking their structure as you apply pressure to their upper body to take them down.

In this video, it's easy to see that if your back foot points forward, it can help you to move forward or backward faster. It also helps you to borrow the counter force from the ground for your back hand punch.

As for this leg stance in Wu taiji, it may just be present when the “snake creep down” is the following move ?
As I previously wrote, that at least in the northern Wu branch the “single whip” leg stance may wary from feet slightly pointing outward to fully pointing to “front” as a regular horse stance.
Here’s som pic of the northern Wu branch

TJ_YangYuTing

His opponent is on the east direction. If he needs to generate power on his left-hand strike, he will need to bend his right back leg, borrow the counter force from the ground, and then straight his right back leg. Since his right foot points southwest, that will put extra pressure on his right knee. Of course he can turn his right foot first. But that will add extra time for his left-hand strike.

Every time when I see a posture like this, I just like to ask what's the PRO for this?

outward_stance_2.jpg

His opponent is on the east direction. If he needs to generate power on his left-hand strike, he will need to bend his right back leg, borrow the counter force from the ground, and then straight his right back leg. Since his right foot points southwest, that will put extra pressure on his right knee. Of course he can turn his right foot first. But that will add extra time for his left-hand strike.

Every time when I see a posture like this, I just like to ask what's the PRO for this?

View attachment 31682
It may not be intended as a full blown palm strike, the picture may hold about a similar application as I described for the karate book cover picture you posted previously.
Actually the outstretched arm with hooked hand may say quite clear it’s somehow grabbing on to opponent right arm/wrist

Last edited:
Back