Wing Chun Structure, Rooting, and Force

That student is not rooting, he doesn’t even know what it is. This demonstrates what people’s general perception of rooting is, incorrect. If I had a nickel…
I agree with you however the real problem is that in Wing Chun there is no accepted standard so you have who knows how many different understandings and interpretations of something that should be so basic.

Maybe not. He doesn’t need to care what anyone thinks.
When one starts a thread, should his purpose be to collect different opinions?

I put up a video. JowGaWolf said the guy didn't extend his kick far enough. I gave my 2 reasons. To me, that's the normal way of online discussion. You present your research paper in a conference. The audience ask you questions. You then have to defend yourself and answer those questions.

Last edited:
In order to have good structure/rooting, one needs to develop "body vibration force". When a force is applied on your body, your body will absorb it first (soft). Your body then bounce that force back (hard). The day that your body can change from soft to hard and then back to soft, you will have good structure/rooting.
You are using Kung Fu mystical higher level talk." body vibration force". To really be helpful you should talk about the proper use of hips,knees,ankle,shoulder,elbow and wrist. then after the use of the skeletal structure is understood you add in the use of waist chest and spine and you end up with good dynamic structure that can be used in actual fighting.. Knowing and training these things is what provide absorbing energy,bouncing energy and the ability to play with hard and soft simultaneously

You are using Kung Fu mystical higher level talk." body vibration force"... Knowing and training these things ...
In another forum, someone started a thread. He then disappeared. When he came back. He found out that his thread had been sidetracked big time. This can happen to this thread. :)

Maybe I should say the "body vibration force" is more useful in the grappling art than in the striking art.

Here is an example. I have used this on the mat successful many times (against body contact).

This is how to train it.

You can also stand behind of your opponent, one arm wraps around his waist, and only use your belly to bounce him off the ground (I don't have video for that).

Any skill that can be trained, it's not just "mystical higher level talk".

Last edited:
Maybe I should say the "body vibration force" is more useful in the grappling art than in the striking art.

Here is an example. I have used this on the mat successful many times (against body contact).

This is how to train it.

You can also stand behind of your opponent, one arm wraps around his waist, and only use your belly to bounce him off the ground (I don't have video for that).

Any skill that can be trained, it's not just "mystical higher level talk".
That is a great example. You are saying " body vibration force" however you can clearly see the success of the move is based on hip usage. So I think it would be far more useful for sharing to explain the hip usage than to use body vibration force. Different arts may have different names for things but the actual basics are all the same. All bodies are the same skeletal structure so you may call something vibration force and I call it tennis ball we are doing the same thing.

So I think it would be far more useful for sharing to explain the hip usage than to use body vibration force.
I agree that "body vibration force" sounds more abstract than "hip usage".

I had a wrestling partner. After I had wrestled with him for over 6 months, I found out that it got harder and harder to wrestle with him. I asked my teacher. My teacher said because my opponent had developed "body vibration force". Every time I tried to move in to make body contact, either he moved his body back, or he used his body to bounce my body away. My opponent's body was like a live moving fist that so difficult to grab in the hand.

Last edited:

I had a wrestling partner. After I had wrestled with him for over 6 months, I found out that it got harder and harder to wrestle with him. I asked my teacher. My teacher said because my opponent had developed "body vibration force". Every time I tried to move in to make body contact, either he moved his body back, or he used his body to bounce my body away. My opponent's body was like a live moving fist that so difficult to grab in the hand.
I like this very much. In addition to what you've wrote, we were taught that in close you can give the opponent a sharp bump with your hip to impart momentum into them- which makes some throws much easier. It takes practice not to bump them away from you however, which makes the throw impossible. In the first couple of Pinans the angled stepping in back stance with the double knife hand blocks has this application. The hip bump makes it much easier to topple a person backwards over your leg.

It doesn’t counter deep stance inside rear leg sweep. Please don’t kill me.
It will counter it but you can't be in a deep stance. If your opponent grabs you then hold on you him and root through him. if they can get to your rear leg then your stance is too narrow. The rear leg should always be out of reach.

I'll try to find the video of me using it so that you can see what I'm talking about.

Fut Sao thanks for sharing. Your post helps keep the forum alive. I also respect how you put things out there not caring what others think of them .
Well said. I certainly got something from the video, even if it wasn't the absolute truth of everything.

Baji Quan uses similar mechanics.

It will counter it but you can't be in a deep stance. If your opponent grabs you then hold on you him and root through him. if they can get to your rear leg then your stance is too narrow. The rear leg should always be out of reach.

I'll try to find the video of me using it so that you can see what I'm talking about.
Sure, I get your point. That just gets into reach on the sweep vs stance width. If I am 6’2” and you are 5’ i have a better chance to sweep your rear leg.

Sure, I get your point. That just gets into reach on the sweep vs stance width. If I am 6’2” and you are 5’ i have a better chance to sweep your rear leg.
I wonder how true that is. It sound 100% correct but I don't remember trying to sweep people that much shorter that me. I have never had a tall person sweep me. Most choose to their height to strike at their max striking range.

Do you sweep people who have the same height difference?

Hello everyone, Its been a long time that I have posted anything so I thought I share a video I did not to long ago. Hope you like it.
Great video,at 74 starting FMA-JKD,great explanation on unlocking ,can this relaxing to unlock ,be applied to boxing training session

I wonder how true that is. It sound 100% correct but I don't remember trying to sweep people that much shorter that me. I have never had a tall person sweep me. Most choose to their height to strike at their max striking range.

Yes, but to be fair, it’s kinda my jam. Foot sweeps come very natural to me, so obviously, I like them. I can get most people I have tried with one or another in combination with other lower leg attacks.

Yes, but to be fair, it’s kinda my jam. Foot sweeps come very natural to me, so obviously, I like them. I can get most people I have tried with one or another in combination with other lower leg attacks.
I’m fairly tall, 6’2”. Well ok I’m maybe 6’1” now. Most of my training brothers are bigger guys 5’10”-6’5” 165-260lbs. I’m not a fighter though. I would likely get folded by a regular MMA amateur. So take it for what it’s worth, I can do it to the other small fish in my little pond so far.

There is a set of throws that's easier for a tall person to apply on a short person. Foot sweep is one of those. A tall person has longer leg. All the throws that require leg skill is easier for a tall person to apply.

The other are:

- head lock
- leg twist
- leg lift
- leg block
- embrace
- front cut
- fish net throw

On the other side, there is also a set of throws that's easier for a short person to apply on a tall person such as:

- hip throw
- overhead throw
- leg seize
- knee seize
- double legs

Clip of Benny the jet, doing " ippon seoi nage"
"One-Arm Shoulder Throw,"

Good example of controlling distance, closing the gap,
Integrated transition from striking to throwing .

reply to post #39 just above:

I don't think Benny trained in judo, at least not up to his early professional fighting career (well, I never saw him do it, though his early sensei also trained in judo so maybe he did a little). His mom was a professional wrestler, and a similar move is used in that sport. I saw him do a flying mid-body scissor takedown on one of my solidly built students as easy as pie. Benny was a born fighter, and I mean that literally, starting as a very young kid and thru his school years - both sport and street. His entire family (parents, brothers, cousins) were fighters of one kind or another. He was a natural MMA fighter before there was such a thing.

Latest Discussions

Back