Wing Chun Structure, Rooting, and Force

The way I explain it is that rooting and structure are dynamic not static. (Which is pretty much what you are demonstrating.)
That student is not rooting, he doesn’t even know what it is. This demonstrates what people’s general perception of rooting is, incorrect. If I had a nickel…

The way I explain it is that rooting and structure are dynamic not static. (Which is pretty much what you are demonstrating.)
In order to have good structure/rooting, one needs to develop "body vibration force". When a force is applied on your body, your body will absorb it first (soft). Your body then bounce that force back (hard). The day that your body can change from soft to hard and then back to soft, you will have good structure/rooting.

Last edited:
On some level it has to be both static and dynamic. I would argue that generally speaking, dynamic structure and static structure are 2 different, yet related things, and necessary to each other. Static is relative, ( all things being in motion) that indicates some level of nuance. So, while on one hand I agree that all structure is dynamic, how wide that bandwidth is in a given individual is another story altogether. Structure is not rooting, but there is no rooting without structure. I don’t mean to be disrespectful, on the contrary, it’s the thing I focus on in my personal practice, and a very important part in the foundation of my martial art in particular. If I ask how one will effect a root? What muscles, torques, tensions, alignments etc will be activated or used to make it happen? When this student is asked if he is rooted,he answers, “ I don’t know”. Then the instructor demonstrates how easy it is to push him with two fingers. What does that prove? Neither of them have a root? The whole thing is ignorant and amateurish at best.

On some level it has to be both static and dynamic. I would argue that generally speaking, dynamic structure and static structure are 2 different, yet related things, and necessary to each other. Static is relative, ( all things being in motion) that indicates some level of nuance. So, while on one hand I agree that all structure is dynamic, how wide that bandwidth is in a given individual is another story altogether. Structure is not rooting, but there is no rooting without structure. I don’t mean to be disrespectful, on the contrary, it’s the thing I focus on in my personal practice, and a very important part in the foundation of my martial art in particular. If I ask how one will effect a root? What muscles, torques, tensions, alignments etc will be activated or used to make it happen? When this student is asked if he is rooted,he answers, “ I don’t know”. Then the instructor demonstrates how easy it is to push him with two fingers. What does that prove? Neither of them have a root? The whole thing is ignorant and amateurish at best.
The way that rooting was taught to me was that I had to stand in horse stance and the instructor would push from various sides. If he saw me leaning forward, then he would push from behind. If he saw that I was weighted too much on the right or left, then he would push in the direction that would cause me to lose balance. This made it easier for me to notice the slight weight shifts in my feet which were more important than the ones in my legs. From there, rooting was the same thing as stability, and it made it easier for me to understand rooting beyond the stance.

I also learned structure from having to be pushed. If I was tense, then it made it easier for someone to push me off balance. Eventually I learned that allowing the body to give was an option so long as the legs did not give. Then I learned more beyond that, but for the beginning. It was better for me to not use dynamic movement so that I could easily recognize the small movements that were the most important. I believe that the less a student has to do, then the easier it is for them to pick up on what you want them to pay attention to.

The thing that you don't see from most stance videos is someone pushing the person while in stance.

The student in the video had a lot to deal with before he understood root.

Last edited:
The way that rooting was taught to me was that I had to stand in horse stance and the instructor would push from various sides. If he saw me leaning forward, then he would push from behind. If he saw that I was weighted too much on the right or left, then he would push in the direction that would cause me to lose balance. This made it easier for me to notice the slight weight shifts in my feet which were more important than the ones in my legs. From there, rooting was the same thing as stability, and it made it easier for me to understand rooting beyond the stance.

I also learned structure from having to be pushed. If I was tense, then it made it easier for someone to push me off balance. Eventually I learned that allowing the body to give was an option so long as the legs did not give. Then I learned more beyond that, but for the beginning. It was better for me to not use dynamic movement so that I could easily recognize the small movements that were the most important. I believe that the less a student has to do, then the easier it is for them to pick up on what you want them to pay attention to.

The thing that you don't see from most stance videos is someone pushing the person while in stance.

The student in the video had a lot to deal with before he understood root.
That’s my point, the instructor telling the student that his rooting doesn’t work is disingenuous to the demo. It’s like saying “ I don’t dance” as opposed to “i don’t know how to dance”. If I don’t know how, then it isn’t a choice, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t somebody who can dance me off the floor. I could make an Australian break dancing analogy here, it’s easy to be a big fish in a little pond.

Many years ago in Taiwan, there were 2 CMA masters that met every year. One guy would stay in horse stance. The other guy would use foot sweep on him. Within 5 years, the guy stood in horse was always swept down.

Is there a strong rooting that foot sweep or single leg cannot work?

Will strong rooting work against "elephant nose embracing"?

elephant_nose.jpg

Many years ago in Taiwan, there were 2 CMA masters that met every year. One guy would stay in horse stance. The other guy would use foot sweep on him. Within 5 years, the guy stood in horse was always swept down.

View attachment 31515
Why would anyone ever think that rooting, all by itself, is a viable defense against any kind of attack?

Yes, there actually is strong rooting that can defeat sweep.
Yes, there is. The horse stance can work against a single leg,

Yes. Root into your opponent so that he's forced to lift you and his own body at the same time.

Why would anyone ever think that rooting, all by itself, is a viable defense against any kind of attack?
Because some think that the horse stance never moves. We can blame the side-shows where they Martial Art Master says that no one can lift him as he stands in horse. But through all our experiences, most of us were never taught such a thing in our martial arts training.

View attachment 31515
That’s a good point. I don’t think it’s a good idea to only learn rooting in horse stance. The foot should root always in all ways to be useful. If your root is strong your foot sweeps will be strong too. I imagine my foot as the spatula and the opponents foot is the pancake. If I can get under, I can get over. There are many ways to improve this ability that increase chances of success.

Yes, there actually is strong rooting that can defeat sweep.
Yes, there is. The horse stance can work against a single leg,

Yes. Root into your opponent so that he's forced to lift you and his own body at the same time.

Because some think that the horse stance never moves. We can blame the side-shows where they Martial Art Master says that no one can lift him as he stands in horse. But through all our experiences, most of us were never taught such a thing in our martial arts training.
100%

It is, against a foot sweep in particular, but only if the root is exceptional.
cat stance counters sweep 100% of the time. The assumption is that your fighting stance or horse stance is wide enough so that the rear leg is safe from the sweep. As the sweep comes in shift from horse to cat stance and you'll be able to avoid all sweeps. You also have to do the cat stance correctly. Cat stance should not have any pressure of the lead leg. If it does the the stance will fall against the sweep. The lead leg has to be relaxed.

It literally becomes a the "false leg stance" which is an accurate description of how it counters. if the cat stance looks like this then the sweep will still work. A correct cat stance will also counter foot hooks.
1724434511513.png

I have shared a national secrect so you guys know what that means lol. I can't let you run around freely with this secret lol. But anyway, give it a try.

The OP started this thread. But he has never participated any discussion. Is this normal?

May be the OP only wants to discuss this thread in the scope of the WC system. Any posts that are outside of the WC discussion, the OP may not be interested to participate.

cat stance counters sweep 100% of the time. The assumption is that your fighting stance or horse stance is wide enough so that the rear leg is safe from the sweep. As the sweep comes in shift from horse to cat stance and you'll be able to avoid all sweeps. You also have to do the cat stance correctly. Cat stance should not have any pressure of the lead leg. If it does the the stance will fall against the sweep. The lead leg has to be relaxed.

It literally becomes a the "false leg stance" which is an accurate description of how it counters. if the cat stance looks like this then the sweep will still work. A correct cat stance will also counter foot hooks.
View attachment 31521

I have shared a national secrect so you guys know what that means lol. I can't let you run around freely with this secret lol. But anyway, give it a try.
It doesn’t counter deep stance inside rear leg sweep. Please don’t kill me.

Latest Discussions

Back