Why I shouldn't be a blue belt

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm getting close to blue belt (according to everyone at my gym, including my professor). However, I haven't gotten it yet, and every day it is glaringly obvious why. I thought it would be a fun thread to post the stupidest thing I did each class, as evidence why I am still deserving to be a white belt.

Exhibit A
One of the purple belts wanted to give me a chance to work on offense. "Here, I'll let you start in mount."

I immediately get into top side control.

Exhibit B
I almost got injured today. Coach said the game is to get to the back and get a RNC. My partner (also a white belt, although a no-stripe) got my back, and had nothing close to a choke. He did stretch my back out real good. Stupid me was thinking "It's not the RNC that's hurting so I can't tap to it."

Afterwards I realized how stupid that was. Luckily I didn't actually get hurt. Normally I'm a tap-early type of guy (so much so when I started that one of the purple belts gave me a real hard time about it), so this was really out of character for me.

Exhibit B
I almost got injured today. Coach said the game is to get to the back and get a RNC. My partner (also a white belt, although a no-stripe) got my back, and had nothing close to a choke. He did stretch my back out real good. Stupid me was thinking "It's not the RNC that's hurting so I can't tap to it."

Afterwards I realized how stupid that was. Luckily I didn't actually get hurt. Normally I'm a tap-early type of guy (so much so when I started that one of the purple belts gave me a real hard time about it), so this was really out of character for me.
Yeah. Pulling is kind of a trap for that.

I'm getting close to blue belt (according to everyone at my gym, including my professor). However, I haven't gotten it yet, and every day it is glaringly obvious why. I thought it would be a fun thread to post the stupidest thing I did each class, as evidence why I am still deserving to be a white belt.

Exhibit A
One of the purple belts wanted to give me a chance to work on offense. "Here, I'll let you start in mount."

I immediately get into top side control.
Better story than my reason. My old instructor was an ahole and promoted everyone but me. I was tapping every single blue belt in the class and people accused me of sandbaghing or lying about my rank. He just didn't like me for some reason. I was a no stripe white belt for 2 years. He didn't even give me a single stripe. I even competed and got 2nd place in no gi, I did fairly well except my last match which I posted on here.

I can't post in this thread anymore.

Does that mean you just got promoted?
Yep!

And not to be self-deprecating, but now I understand all of the posts about imposter syndrome and blue belts still not being very good. Don't get me wrong, I've felt it was close. But there are some areas I feel inadequate enough that I didn't think I was ready. One of my classmates was just promoted earlier this week. Same age, same weight, and he's usually making more good moves against me than I do against him. I felt if he got his this week, I was a few months out.

So Skribs I guess you were concern for nothing?

Yep!

And not to be self-deprecating, but now I understand all of the posts about imposter syndrome and blue belts still not being very good. Don't get me wrong, I've felt it was close. But there are some areas I feel inadequate enough that I didn't think I was ready. One of my classmates was just promoted earlier this week. Same age, same weight, and he's usually making more good moves against me than I do against him. I felt if he got his this week, I was a few months out.
Congrats bro! It took alot of hard work, don't sell your self short, a blue belt is a serious achievement. Good job.

Yep!

Yeah. The best version of a white belt to the worst version of a blue.

Exhibit C
Got caught by no less than 6 double ankle sweeps yesterday.

Exhibit C
Got caught by no less than 6 double ankle sweeps yesterday.
My advice for what it's worth:
Gi - Hold onto something and keep your hips forward
No gi - Fall & pinch your knees then attack heel hook

Rolling with a brown belt, got into back body lock and tried to do a reverse valley drop. Pulled him into top side control.

Exhibit E

I tapped to pressure today. In my defense, he weighs 375.

Back