When to Eat On Training Days?

Hot Lunch

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Class is at 6 pm. On non-training days, it's during class time that you might normally eat supper.

But if you're training that day, do you eat supper before or after training? Which one do you do, and which one should you do?

Class is at 6 pm. On non-training days, it's during class time that you might normally eat supper.

But if you're training that day, do you eat supper before or after training? Which one do you do, and which one should you do?
I trained through the 4-8 time slot most days for many years. I always ate a big lunch and then a snack just before training, with a big dinner after class. Now I only train 3-4 times a week for 2 hours or so in the evenings except on Sundays which is my 3.5 hour day that goes from 0830-1200. I just eat dinner after workouts now, I don’t eat big lunches or snacks before workouts anymore. I’m more efficient at my training now though, in my 20s and 30s I went for intensity. In an analogy, my car is older now, but I’m a far more skilled driver than I was. I also understand nutrition better, and know what I need to get the best performance. As far as what others do, I can’t speak to that in a meaningful way. I would say try to eat a well balanced diet with variety while avoiding sugar, alcohol, and processed foods.

Latest Discussions

Back