What went wrong?

Always do things to encourage the strike that you want. This makes it less of a guessing game.
You want to lead your opponent into an area that you are more familiar than he does. One time I sparred a boxer. I didn't want to play the punching game that he was good at. I just repeat the following leg skills over and over.

- stomped on his knee,
- swept his leg,
- kicked his belly,

You want to lead your opponent into an area that you are more familiar than he does. One time I sparred a boxer. I didn't want to play the punching game that he was good at. I just repeat the following leg skills over and over.

Used to spar often with people who said they boxed while in the military.
I’d agree not to kick them, remember one time getting hit in the face by a jab, trying to “box” with a boxer.
good wake up call ☝️

Allowing me understand I didn't know how to box 😂

Switched back to using TWC. He and others couldn’t find an answer to it.
With the horse, footwork, and long-arm, they were always within punching range, I outside of theirs. 👍

Not having to worry about kicks, a bonus.

When sparring with a TKD guys, the ones I knew were very quick fast in kicking, In TWC there is a movement called "diving hand". Using it against a kick...got all my fingers jammed...hitting the leg instead of inside of it.. "timing" lesson learned.

One guy practiced a style called Tang Soo Do (당수도), a little different. He a light heavy weight, could knock a person down—or out—with various kicks, had a wicked jump spinning back hook kick.

At the time, was helping him prep for a light heavyweight match against Joe Lewis, a noted full contact fighter back in the day.

He also practiced 합기도 "hap ki do" after getting in range, he used it taking down pinning a person with a lock..
good guy, very tough MA...

Last edited:
Used to spar often with people who said they boxed while in the military.
I’d agree not to kick them, remember one time getting hit in the face by a jab, trying to “box” with a boxer.
good wake up call
I don't like sparring boxers for this reason. I know I'm going to get stuck with boxing rules and I know it's going to be a long day of eating jabs. My personal saying is " never box a boxer." lol

I don't like sparring boxers for this reason. I know I'm going to get stuck with boxing rules and I know it's going to be a long day of eating jabs. My personal saying is " never box a boxer." lol
"Kinda the point, right?

Conceding certain points in fairness—like not kicking, which they weren’t used to dealing with.

Letting them do what they do, while I did what I do.
In my case, they were curious to see what it was about,
which gave me the chance to test and develop my practice.

Infantry grunts, 'GIs,' with some downtime, waiting for war.

What more can one say?"

🙂

Case in point, did anybody see the Holloway/Topuria fight? Obviously, both stand up fighters. Topuria’s superior boxing skills dominated the fight. Granted there is much more to MMA than boxing and boxing, although definitely adds to self defense doesn’t necessarily make for good street self defense in and of itself, as going fisticuffs with an assailant isn’t optimal. But it seems when virtually any MA spars it simply becomes boxing with kicks included. It might become something more, but that’s how it typically starts out.

It does start out that way a lot of times.

As for Holloway, I pray he retires and lives a long life. He’s spent too much time in the octagon, had too many wars.

Back