Want your opinion please.

What is IKEA saying about the gothic / Dark Subculture Community?

you tell me, what exactly do you think it's saying?

This is not a joke.

yes it is. it may be at the expense of a subculture you associate with but it's definitely a joke. wouldn't doubt that a goth-by-night copywriter wrote it too. what's the point of being a dark subculture if you can't set yourself apart from the mainstream. Punks used to reinforce their own stereotypes with the most over the top lyrics about death, destruction and mayhem... and they were joking -- well, most were :)

-Hello everyone! Thanks for responding, appreciate it. I didn't write anything in that post, was merely forwarding it here to MartialTalk to see what people might have to say. Hence the subject line. I could care less if people shop at IKEA or not although I did send the company an e-mail about the advert.

-I would like to respond to some of the posts here, especially the ones concerning goth stereotypes. I don't think anyone likes stereotypes, even if they may be true. I disagree with the assumption that goths use the look to elicit a negative reaction from people. A small group, mostly young kids who used mommy's credit card at Hot Topic, do it cause they think its cool to "be different". My opinion is kids such as these do not understand what the big deal is.

-Guess what? There is no big deal to being a goth. Its just another group of people out there. Most I know, myself including, dress a certain way because we like the way it looks. I wear black because I think it looks good on me, I wear my trenchcoat cause I like the way the wind whips it up when I'm outside. Plus it looks good when I'm dancing;-) But what really drew me to the scene was the music; there is such a variety and many great bands you will never hear on the radio.

-I don't think I've ever seen anyone I know in the scene use their looks or attitude to intimidate people. I'm sure it happens but am certain its not as often as the stereotypes would imply. There are people in in all groups who do things for shock value. Marilyn Manson is not goth. He is a shock rocker, he does it to freak people. Do some people who listen to gangsta rap go out and intimidate people? Of course. Either way, its not the whole group, its the bad apples.

-Also, most goths are not into being "misunderstood" nor do they require the fear of the public to support their lifestyle choices. Most of us truly want to be left alone to enjoy what we do, live freely as any other person or group would want. Are we in the scene because there is a void to fill? Perhaps for some. People have a tendency to join with people they feel comfortable with. I don't like hip-hop music, therefore you won't be seeing me dressing that style or dancing at a hip-hop club.

-Its about the connection you make with the world around you, and how you color that connection. Its your thing, its who you are. If anyone steps out of line, its not because he or she is goth or whatever stereotype, its because he/she as a person, an individual, has chosen to.

-If anyone has any questions about goth, I would be more than happy to answer it. Again, thanks for the replies. To me, IKEA just used poor word choice. Unfortunately, its so easy to hate, and stereotypes do nothing but divide people.

A--->

-I just checked my profile cause I wanted to add my myspace page to it and discovered I have recieved a negative rep point for something so pathetic and stupid. I apologize for not making it clear right from the first post that I didn't write anything in that letter but there was no reason to rep me for it. For whoever gave me the negative, my curiousity is peeked as to your reasoning, cause the comment that was left didn't tell me anything. Feel free to send me a message. And if this is just a way of attacking someone who is goth, then don't bother. Thanks!

A--->

A though provoking insight, Carol.

The big "But" (if you'll forgive the phrase :D) is that the advertsing might reach a wider audience but if that audience reacts negatively then it's something of a home goal (English-speak for 'shooting yourself in the foot').

Yup. From an advertising standpoint, its a gamble. But much of business is about learning how to maximise the benefits of taking a calculated risk.

In my case, I have an aversion to Ikea anyway because, with some exceptions, their stuff is so overpriced that I can make it cheaper myself.

And some Goths and other free-thinking folks may have an aversion to Ikea because it's a lot of mass-produced offshore shtuff that all looks the same.

(If I may digress)
There is some history to the reference. Darkness to an American or an Englishman doesn't really have the same impact as darkness to a Scandinavian. Darkness wasn't romantic, or intriguing, or "alternative". It was death. It was hell (Hell is a cold place in Norse mythology). In lands near the Arctic, winter means darkness, with the sun only out for a few hours per day. The darkness compounds the cold, and the isolation...and the loss. Suicide, hypothermia, starvation, alcoholism.

Scandinavian legends incorporate different uses of lanterns to thwart off the darkness. The North was the source of cold, and hell...a place so desolate that no light can penetrate. Therefore, no lanterns were placed on the north wall or north corner of a building, as the darkness will simply overcome it. Many of the furniture designs grew from these legends and the concept of...to paraphrase my grandmother...if you're going to be stuck inside most of the time, then Inside better be a nice place to be.

OK, end digress, back to the topic ;)

I don't know if it's my Scandinavian blood, my habit of over-analyzing, or the fact that I'm helping my nephew get ready to go off to college...personally for me, the ad fell flat.

I didn't read it as "Ikea says: Goths are creepy and a bad influence."

I read it as "Ikea says: unless you send your student to school with enough pretty Ikea stuff, then your student will be creepy, and a bad influence."

Meh. No thanks.

Latest Discussions

Back