Vatican Forgives Lennon

42 years later and they NOW forgive him? ... :rolleyes: Wonder how he would've taken it if he were still alive?. Probably would've written a song that just edged with sarcasm... remember "The Ballad Of John & Yoko" ?

38 years later after breaking up... hard to "imagine" (but it's easy if you try) and their music just still rocks on. It wasn't just Lennon-McCartney either, Harrison and Starr/Starkey had individually & collectively made their significant contributions to the Beatles.

Still that "we're more popular than Jesus" remark today wouldn't have caused as much ire except among "radical" fundamentalists. Anyway it was a joke, tongue in cheek remark about their fame that just was at the time unlike any ever seen (except of course by Elvis-mania).
I still find it sad that those blokes got thoroughly ripped off by the lack of royalties from merchandising, concerts and record sales when they hit the states. To my understanding they received a pithy sum for their concerts and record sales and just about nothing from all the Beatle-mania merchandising. There SHOULD'VE been a law back then.

It is Ok.

I still have not forgiven them for:

helping the Nazi's.

contributing to backwards development in science by having people killed.

population control with the crusades.

Someday I hope to be a big enough person to forgive them.

Maybe it will be a day when I need a favor from them or good press.

Name me another religion that bothers to apologize for ANYTHING.

Which is worse...the Church forgiving, or people being offended at the Church forgiving? It apparently would have been better for them to have said nothing.

I am not offended that they forgave John Lennon. I think that it was a great gesture. Though way too late....

I am offended that they had the need to forgive him in the first place. As others have said, if the religion that preaches peace, understanding, and forgiveness would have practiced a bit when the comment was made, this would have never been an issue. At a time when half of the country was burning Beatles memorabilia, Churches simply jumped on the bandwagon instead of being the beacon of understanding and forgiveness that they claim to be - thereby making things worse. Basically, they fueled the fire....and now, they're trying to say that it was ok all along?

I'm sure good ol' John's made peace with the real man now. The catholic church ... well ... it seems they have a ways to go.

I have never been allowed to drive the Bubble Car, yet I can forgive.

Very devout Catholics call the Pope "God on Earth" ... I can forgive that.

I can forgive the fact that the Vatican did not completely admit Galileo Galilei was right until 1992…. 350 years after his death

Actually I believe they began to admitted the Earth revolved around the sun in 1757 by removing some books form the Banned Books list…115 years after the death of Galileo

But what the heck, I'm feeling magnanimous so I can forgive that as well. :D

I'll forgive them for the Spanish Inquisition, and doing basically nothing while priests were molesting altar boys...
Ya know what, **** that, those priests *still* need to pay. Where's that rusty, dull knife?

I'll forgive them for the Spanish Inquisition, and doing basically nothing while priests were molesting altar boys...
Ya know what, **** that, those priests *still* need to pay. Where's that rusty, dull knife?

for the altar boys, no, not forgiven for that....

Spanish Inquisition.... maybe

The rest...NO!! and in an effort not to go into a rant and take this WAAAAAY off post I will stop here.

Back