Try this out

Tigerwarrior

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The other day I got a training idea. So I tried it out. Basically doing boxing or kickboxing shadowboxing low speed with the minimum tension needed to throw whatever punch or kick you are doing. Try to keep your arms as relaxed as possible with minimal tension, tell yourself no tension(which I don't think is possible, but it will get you doing this right) basically going at like a tai chi type thing. Slow but good form, and relaxed muscles. I'm not sure if this has any benefits outside of improving your form, but alot of people tense up more than needed when striking. I'm hoping if you did this once or twice a week it would stop over tensing when punching or kicking. Also I've heard of this on speed bags before from a kung fu instructor, I know for a fact that method works I've tested it myself before. Now I'm interested in if we can get the same benefit of that training drill with no equipment and shadowboxing. Let me know what you think and if you've ever did anything like this before.

I always start my bag routine with lower power, low speed. I concentrate on form. Hips (koshi) generating power, feet planted, fists relaxed until the bag closes them into a solid striking surface upon impact. There is still power, but minimal muscle involvement.

Slowly at first, with good technique, then slowly turn up the power, which also increases the speed. I keep my shoulders loose, relaxed, and I keep my breathing under control. I'm settled in my stance and relaxed as I can be. Knees bent, sunk into my stance. Everything in alignment and tenses only at the moment of impact (chinkuchi).

Power increases and I make the heavy bag dance. I never wear bag gloves; if it's too much for my hands, it's too much.

I stop several times and reset from lower power to high power over again.

I keep my hands up and guard my head even when punching the bag. I don't lead with my face.

The other day I got a training idea. So I tried it out. Basically doing boxing or kickboxing shadowboxing low speed with the minimum tension needed to throw whatever punch or kick you are doing. Try to keep your arms as relaxed as possible with minimal tension, tell yourself no tension(which I don't think is possible, but it will get you doing this right) basically going at like a tai chi type thing. Slow but good form, and relaxed muscles. I'm not sure if this has any benefits outside of improving your form, but alot of people tense up more than needed when striking. I'm hoping if you did this once or twice a week it would stop over tensing when punching or kicking. Also I've heard of this on speed bags before from a kung fu instructor, I know for a fact that method works I've tested it myself before. Now I'm interested in if we can get the same benefit of that training drill with no equipment and shadowboxing. Let me know what you think and if you've ever did anything like this before.

That’s a good exercise to have in your tool box. And it can be used equally well as a warm up or a cool down.

You can also use it as part of mirror work if that option is available.

You can also do it multi-directionally. Not just going predominantly forward, but straight back and backwards while evading and stepping out on either side. Or circling.

A few schools I’ve trained at also do it using this scenario - you’re a foot taller than your imaginary opponent so shadow box with your hands held with that height difference in mind. Or if you’re the one that’s a foot shorter.

I’d also suggest doing it with either side forward if that’s comfortable for you.

I used to live in Boston, so we’d occasionally do that exercise outside in the winter. Not to be rough tough guys, but to familiarize ourselves with the slippery surfaces we experienced on a lot of days, especially while wearing our every day footwear. It makes for shorter steps and different balance requirements. (It also sucks)

But, yeah, I think it’s a really good drill.

Whenever you walk in to a new gym. Work all the bags at once.

Yell "multiple attackers"

basically going at like a tai chi type thing. Slow but good form, and relaxed muscles.
I like to train as I fight.

One drill that I like is to coordinate my punch with my leading foot landing (my back foot is in the air for simplicity). I want to make sure that my heavy bag punching sound and my foot landing sound is together as 1 and not 2 (grenade method).

Another drill I like to train on my heavy bag is to punch as hard as I can and as fast as I can. I will punch like a mad man non-stop until I'm totally exhausted. Last time, I counted the number was about 75. When I do this, I'll totally ignore my hand and foot coordination (machine gun method).

Last edited:
Good flow, good breathing. I like it. I do this with the weapons also. Very meditative…

Latest Discussions

Back