Trash talking

More or less. I actually teach the first part with the single blocks first as Blocking Set 1, and then the full part with the single blocks the double blocks and the opposite sides (right out/left down, right in/left chamber, etc) as Blocking Set 2. He was struggling with the first 5 basic blocks in the air.

I think a big part of that was that his second black belt was in a certain kicking style that de-emphasizes blocking and striking with the hands. I can't say how legitimate his rank was in that style, I never really knew and it's been a long long time, but it seemed like the idea of using his hands was pretty foreign to him. Oh well. I hope he went on to better things.

-Rob

Speaking of keeping one's ego in check ...

As one whose art doesn't involve kata, I'm going to reach for my dunce cap and ask. I have a vague idea what it is from conversations here and watching videos. But having never practiced them myself, I don't really understand the purpose. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Kata is form of idealized training method designed both as a vehicle for the storage and transmission of knowledge within a specific system, and as a method of physical practice designed to ingrain the necessary movements and techniques in the practitioner.

It is scripted air karate. And it exists so instructors can keep important information in the system from generation to generation, and so that students can practice that material until it becomes a part of their muscle memory. Most kata is designed with multiple interpretations of the movements which are supposed to be explored thoroughly in order properly understand the applications. Unfortunately, not every student explores their kata, and not every instructor knows what the kata contain.

Bad kata is little better than martial arts style dance. Good kata is a brain/body exercise which transfers the practitioner into a meditative state where the techniques and lessons contained are spontaneously expressed.

Michael Rosenbaum wrote an excellent book on the subject called Kata and the Transmission of Knowledge in Traditional Martial Arts which I quote from extensively in an article I put on my blog for my students called The Purpose of Patterns. Essentially, any time an instructor teaches a student an "idealized" technique in the air, from a simple boxer's jab to a long Kenpo weapons form, he is engaging in "kata" practice. It is not intended to be the entirety of the method. It is simply one part of it.

Kata isn't necessary. But it works. And with the right approach it can be very effective. It's like a form of controlled shadowboxing. And like all other aspects of karate, it must be engaged in with utmost seriousness in order to truly be of value.

-Rob

+1 Tez! Iain has an excellent website with a wealth of information.

He's brilliant to train with too, for American fans he's coming over in October for seminar. He's very approachable both online and in person.

A bunch of friends of mine had to deal with a trash talker. Guy comes in, watches a class, after the class, they asked how
he liked. Guy just starts talking trash about the teacher because the teacher just did Kata and he wasn't teaching anyone to fight.
The teacher was in the back office taking a call.

Now friends response were to politely nod their heads and then thank him for coming and that was it.

I am proud of my friends because they did not get angry and start something. Their teacher would have done the same since
he has always taught them to avoid conflicts. But no mistake, if that dummy was stupid enough to attack the teacher, he would have
found out why Kata is so dangerous. It was quite obvious that this guy knew anything about martial arts or else he would not say such
stupid things.

There was once a guy in an elevator with a Korean man and he called him Mr Myagi and generally was insulting - That Korean man was Master Chong Chul Rhee, 8th Dan World Master and Father of Australian tae Kwon Do.

Cool story bro. Just goes to show why folks should keep their tongues in check... On both sides.

There was once a guy in an elevator with a Korean man and he called him Mr Myagi and generally was insulting - That Korean man was Master Chong Chul Rhee, 8th Dan World Master and Father of Australian tae Kwon Do.
Then what? Battery due to slanderous remarks insufficient to fall into the category of assault would warrant criminal charges. What happened next? Or is your world master a criminal with an ego? Your story doesnt amount to much good sir :)

Then what? Battery due to slanderous remarks insufficient to fall into the category of assault would warrant criminal charges. What happened next? Or is your world master a criminal with an ego? Your story doesnt amount to much good sir :)

He just said to the guy "don't be stupid" and the guy just got off the elevator and left, it would have been the worst day of his life if he had attacked Master Rhee.

He just said to the guy "don't be stupid" and the guy just got off the elevator and left, it would have been the worst day of his life if he had attacked Master Rhee.
Ok... But isnt that what anyone else would do?

A bunch of friends of mine had to deal with a trash talker. Guy comes in, watches a class, after the class, they asked how
he liked. Guy just starts talking trash about the teacher because the teacher just did Kata and he wasn't teaching anyone to fight.
The teacher was in the back office taking a call.

Now friends response were to politely nod their heads and then thank him for coming and that was it.

I am proud of my friends because they did not get angry and start something. Their teacher would have done the same since
he has always taught them to avoid conflicts. But no mistake, if that dummy was stupid enough to attack the teacher, he would have
found out why Kata is so dangerous. It was quite obvious that this guy knew anything about martial arts or else he would not say such
stupid things.

This really made my day. Thank you for sharing it. I wish the world had more people like the members of your school. This illustrates so well that the lessons of martial arts go so much deeper than what you see. Courtesy and restraint, two weapons that have been used to great effect. Well done.

trash talking kinda thing I just ignore. as long as they keep their hands off me and others, who cares. Usually to say the least it shows how little they know about unarmed combat.

Latest Discussions

Back