Tragedy in Florida.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
The attached article just gets to me. Nothing I hate worse than working a senseless collision death on the highway, that happened because someone isn't paying attention. Most dangerous are people on the highway that don't pay attention to the fact that traffic has stopped ahead.

What appears to have happened was the truck driver wasn't paying attention (for whatever reason) to the fact that a school bus was stopped until it was too late. What a horrible tragedy. 7 children, from 21 months to 15 years, all inthe passenger vehicle, and several injured in a school bus.

Though the 15 year old driver didn't have a license, it does not appear as though her actions are what contributed to the accident.

Not much to add, and I don't know what I felt compelled to post it (maybe it's because I have two young children, and these kind of things always get to me.)

I just want to remind everybody.... Pay attention out there. Careless inattention kills more people in America than any other cause.

Some people get worked up about high-profile homicides, but these kind of things are the real, true killer of young people in America. You are many times more likely to be killed because of someone's inattention, driving home on some idle Tuesday, than you ever are to be murdered.

I've seen more dead bodies on the highways than I care to count or remember, and every time I hear about something like this, it hits home and I remember every one.....especially the children.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11026058/

Very sad. We do need to stay aware while we drive. Thanks for the reminder.

Its quite devastating, I also read that apparently the grandfather of the children also died as a result of the news.

evenflow1121 said:
Its quite devastating, I also read that apparently the grandfather of the children also died as a result of the news.
I think I probably might die as well in his place. Heart rending doesn't seem to do it justice, on a personal level. I don't know how I could ever conceive of such a personally tragedy, and I hope to never have to know.

You're right. About a year after I got my license, I almost mowed down a couple who had a green walk sign. My college friend in the car stopped me. My lack of attention darn near killed two people. Hopefully, after twenty years, I'm older and wiser.

Incidentally, my former friend is now serving time in Federal Prison for fraud (Google Ross Rojek). However, he served me well that day twenty years ago.

My sympathies to the friends and families of those killed. :asian:

Jonathan Randall said:
You're right. About a year after I got my license, I almost mowed down a couple who had a green walk sign. My college friend in the car stopped me. My lack of attention darn near killed two people. Hopefully, after twenty years, I'm older and wiser.

Incidentally, my friend is now serving time in Federal Prison for fraud (Google Ross Rojek). However, he served me well that day twenty years ago.

My sympathies to the friends and families of those killed. :asian:
If we all realized just how close we come to dying every single day, we'd all be a little more thankfully for the time we have here.

A similar incident happened down the road from here last year on I44, near Six Flags. Construction stopped the traffic on the interstate, and a dump truck didn't notice the traffic had come to a stop until it was too late. He crossed several lanes of traffic to try and stop. He crossed on to the outerroad and struck a mini-van headon, killing a family who were going to Six Flags for the day. They were driving along, minding their own business, when this truck driver left the interestate and basically hit them broadside. I don't think they ever say it coming.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=82514

sgtmac_46 said:
If we all realized just how close we come to dying every single day, we'd all be a little more thankfully for the time we have here.

A similar incident happened down the road from here last year on I44, near Six Flags. Construction stopped the traffic on the interstate, and a dump truck didn't notice the traffic had come to a stop until it was too late. He crossed several lanes of traffic to try and stop. He crossed on to the outerroad and struck a mini-van headon, killing a family who were going to Six Flags for the day. They were driving along, minding their own business, when this truck driver left the interestate and basically hit them broadside. I don't think they ever say it coming.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=82514

So true. My sadness is that, while my friend saved me, I could not save him. Were it not for his attention and actions that day, my life would be very much different (as would the people I almost hit). Many year later, when I saw his name on national news (arrested and later convicted for Homeland Security Fraud), I deeply regretted losing contact with him.

Latest Discussions

Back