Ten Years to Black Belt

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last night, we promoted a young man to black belt. He's been coming to our dojo for ten years; he's 26 now.

He's not very good. He lacks coordination, he's sloppy and his footwork leaves a lot to be desired. But he completed all the requirements for black belt. He is one of our Sensei's black belts now, and our Sensei has never put a black belt on a karateka he wasn't pleased to call one of his.

He came here with his family as a child, fleeing from oppression, I won't say from where. Suffice to say English is not his first language.

His parents, despite not earning much money, have insisted that he keep training, and he's done so. Through thick and thin, he's been in the dojo every week. Sometimes he's a bit late; he works menial jobs and sometimes has to work late. His uniforms are not fancy; he wears them to rags before replacing them.

When he started, he was afraid of being hit. He could not spar, because he'd jerk his head back to avoid being hit; he could not even do basic practical instructions unless ordered to 'stand still' and accept a technique, he was so flinchy. He doesn't have that problem now, he can be aggressive when the situation calls for it.

Over time, he got better. Sometimes, he even shows flashes of excellence.

He perseveres. This is one of the traits we ask for in our dojo. Perseverance is my favorite. I'm slow, I'm old and creaky, lack speed and balance, and my best katas are behind me now. But I persevere. And so does he.

We tested him over a period of weeks. We saw good and bad kata, weapons, and sparring. But we also saw him doing his best. Focus, determination, and best effort at all times.

We took a vote. Unanimous vote for promotion from all yudansha present. No objections.

Ten years to black belt is a long journey. But the point is, it was his journey, and he made it. I'm as proud of him as I could be.

Don't give up.

Through thick and thin, he's been in the dojo every week.

He perseveres.
Sounds easy, but to keep showing up and subjecting oneself to facing their own fear and physical limitations week after week is something not many are willing to do.
it was his journey
Internalizing one's commitment, making it a personal quest, perhaps even unconsciously, serves as an anchor to one's life. I think this is one of the differences between doing MA and being a martial artist.

In many ways this young man's journey was similar to mine.

Focus, determination, and best effort at all times.
This guarantees progress. Not much more you can ask for.

Last night, we promoted a young man to black belt. He's been coming to our dojo for ten years; he's 26 now.

He's not very good. He lacks coordination, he's sloppy and his footwork leaves a lot to be desired. But he completed all the requirements for black belt. He is one of our Sensei's black belts now, and our Sensei has never put a black belt on a karateka he wasn't pleased to call one of his.

He came here with his family as a child, fleeing from oppression, I won't say from where. Suffice to say English is not his first language.

His parents, despite not earning much money, have insisted that he keep training, and he's done so. Through thick and thin, he's been in the dojo every week. Sometimes he's a bit late; he works menial jobs and sometimes has to work late. His uniforms are not fancy; he wears them to rags before replacing them.

When he started, he was afraid of being hit. He could not spar, because he'd jerk his head back to avoid being hit; he could not even do basic practical instructions unless ordered to 'stand still' and accept a technique, he was so flinchy. He doesn't have that problem now, he can be aggressive when the situation calls for it.

He perseveres. This is one of the traits we ask for in our dojo. Perseverance is my favorite. I'm slow, I'm old and creaky, lack speed and balance, and my best katas are behind me now. But I persevere. And so does he.

We tested him over a period of weeks. We saw good and bad kata, weapons, and sparring. But we also saw him doing his best. Focus, determination, and best effort at all times.

We took a vote. Unanimous vote for promotion from all yudansha present. No objections.

Ten years to black belt is a long journey. But the point is, it was his journey, and he made it. I'm as proud of him as I could be.

Don't give up.
lol I thought this was the norm. If someone had told me how long it would take for me to be a black belt, I would have said somewhere around 10 years.

The first step to winning a race: Show up
The second step to winning a race: Don't quit

lol I thought this was the norm. If someone had told me how long it would take for me to be a black belt, I would have said somewhere around 10 years.
Not at all. BJJ is known for the exceptional length of time it takes to make black belt, and THAT is ten years (give or take).

Is he sticking around, or was his goal black belt? Not asking in a disrespectful manner - I know plenty of people who set bb as a goal. They'll put in all the work to get it, and then leave feeling they've accomplished something. Others have different goals, I'm curious what his goal is to keep him coming (and his parents for keeping him in training at their own hardship).

Where they there when he received his bb?

Don't give up.

Bravo!
Congrats to him.

Is he sticking around, or was his goal black belt? Not asking in a disrespectful manner - I know plenty of people who set bb as a goal. They'll put in all the work to get it, and then leave feeling they've accomplished something. Others have different goals, I'm curious what his goal is to keep him coming (and his parents for keeping him in training at their own hardship).

He sounds like someone who has found a place where he belongs. I would be surprised if he would leave after getting a black belt. The presentation of the story didn't read like someone who only cared about the black belt.

They were not there; they both work days and nights. He will continue attending, his goal was never the kuro obi. He's one of us.

Sooo nice to hear Bill. Thank you for sharing this, seriously it's really nice to hear :). A very well done to the young lad

Is he sticking around, or was his goal black belt? Not asking in a disrespectful manner - I know plenty of people who set bb as a goal. They'll put in all the work to get it, and then leave ...
That was me. I wanted to get to the equivalent of "Black Belt"/Instructor in my system and then move on. But when I got there, I wasn't satisfied with my skill level. So I stuck around a while longer. That was about 1983. Honestly, at one point I did take a long time off ...a "hiatus" of about 15 years, but eventually came back. I felt there was more to do ....more to learn. Always more.

Last edited:
Yeah. They hilarious keep promoting me for the same reason. I just won't go away.

It's even funnier as I hit 50. I am probably getting worse.

Latest Discussions

Back