Techniques for training

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What would be in your training curriculum, I.E. if you are a student what would you add to your traing and if you own a school what would you like to add but not have done as far as training goes for youe school?

What would be in your training curriculum, I.E. if you are a student what would you add to your traing and if you own a school what would you like to add but not have done as far as training goes for youe school?

Terry---I'd add more training in bunkai analysis for hyungs, more real-time practice in that full range of techniques (particularly the use of locks and throws to set up finishing strikes), and more one-on-one fight training based on those bunkai (kind of along the lines Abernethy discusses in Bunkai Jutsu---not tournament-rules sparring, but combat more in keeping with the unsolicited violence you face in situations where you're forced to fight because you have no choice).

That's not really the kind of thing you can have if most of the students are beginners or lower colored belts though, I don't think...

Great answer exile, I would say that would be a great thing to do if you had that type of school

Longer class times, so more material can be covered per class.

More work with the hands.

Great answer exile, I would say that would be a great thing to do if you had that type of school

Hi Terry---thanks, and yes, you'd have to have a really good group of dan ranks and advanced colored belts to do that---so a largish student base; and you'd want to keep it a bit separate from the more general training that you did---maybe run it as a separate program available to advanced students whom you felt would be highly responsible in using that kind of training?

Doc how long are your classes now and what type of hand work would you incorporate?

(I'm a student)

Class time was 50 minutes with a 10 minute break. Since I would go early, it made class an hour. recently my instructor added another class and had to eliminate the break, so it is down to 45 minutes.

For hand work maybe focus mitt training on some of the hand techniques found in the forms.

While I can't increase class beyond an hour for my students. (Because of children's attention spans & room availability). For an adult class (which I'd love to have or participate in) I'd like it to be 1 1/2 hours long, if not 2 hours. That way we could concentrate on more things instead of being in such a hurry to do a lot of different things per hour. Boon Hae (Korean word for application, correct me if I'm wrong, please) of forms would be great fun, too.

Boon Hae (Korean word for application, correct me if I'm wrong, please) of forms would be great fun, too.

Iceman---I have been wanting to know for a long time what the Korean for that is, keep having to refer to bunkai but it always feels wrong---thanks for the new info. And you're right about it---check out

www.martialtalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-31197.html

I've scanned Google for it and yes, that seems to be exactly what the term means.

Our class is 1.5 hrs. we can go up to 4x a week as an adult or 3x as a kid. Anyway being a student that has taught in other capacities I would do this: Warm up, punching and kicking drills, followed by basics, one step sparring drills, and finally poomse. In all respects the teachers try and cover enough material.

However, not each aspect is always given the same amount of attention needed. Tae Kwon Do is too diversified a cirriculum for a 1.5 hr. class to do everything necessary.

There has been occassion where I was the only adult besides the teacher. Well I did my own program throughout class, the teacher had 10 kids to deal with.

At my school we extended the week to 6 days Mon _ Sat. it became kind of a hassle I had kids all week long but hardley any adult. Until saturday then all the higher ranks and adults came to class. On Saturdays we expanded to Grappling and Kick Boxing. They all wanted to fight in some way but none of them wanted to learn the correct techniques that should be used. I had to make it mandatory that all ranks show up for at least 2 days of TKD training if they wanted to do grappling and kick boxing on Saturdays. Needless to say I had some very unhappy students.

They all wanted to fight in some way but none of them wanted to learn the correct techniques that should be used.

This is a real problem for traditional MA schools in general, isn't it! Students come in with very unrealistic expectations... kind of like someone watching a war movie and thinking they're now ready to go into battle..

I would add:

1. More self defense - I want my kids to not be a victim schools are so brutal these days

2. Classes to help teach kids how to respond in a school situation if they respond with a punch or kick now they will be suspended or sent to an alternative school even if they are just defending themselves

3. A Black Belt class that teaches people how to teach other people

I am sure there is other stuff but that is right off the top of my head.

2. Classes to help teach kids how to respond in a school situation if they respond with a punch or kick now they will be suspended or sent to an alternative school even if they are just defending themselves

Kid although I agree classes to help childern defend themself the statement you made is in correct, here in the state of Texas a child has the right to defind themself against any kind of bullying, it is called the anti-bullying act of 2004, so that way the child that strikes back in a defensive stituation would not be sent to a alternative school.
Just thought I would add that in.

Terry you are correct in law but not in practicality. I am an Alternative school administrator I get kids all the time sent to me for being in a fight where the other kids starts it and the other child responds. I recently had a friend who her daughter was jumped in school by 2 other girls she defended herself (and did it well) and she was suspended for 3 days along with the other girls. School personnel are not always there when incidents happen and they tend to give consequences to both parties no matter what, as an administrator I have had to try to sort thru a fight situation and it can be difficult because both parties naturally say the other one started it. I feel that if more kids could subdue there aggressor until an adult arrived that they would be seen to be more in control and suffer less consequences, I could be way off base here but I am trying to find a solution to an on-going problem that is increasing. You want an eye opener visit a school sometime you want a real eye opener visit mine sometime.

Terry you are correct in law but not in practicality. I am an Alternative school administrator I get kids all the time sent to me for being in a fight where the other kids starts it and the other child responds. I recently had a friend who her daughter was jumped in school by 2 other girls she defended herself (and did it well) and she was suspended for 3 days along with the other girls. School personnel are not always there when incidents happen and they tend to give consequences to both parties no matter what, as an administrator I have had to try to sort thru a fight situation and it can be difficult because both parties naturally say the other one started it. I feel that if more kids could subdue there aggressor until an adult arrived that they would be seen to be more in control and suffer less consequences, I could be way off base here but I am trying to find a solution to an on-going problem that is increasing. You want an eye opener visit a school sometime you want a real eye opener visit mine sometime.

Kidd I was a school teacher for 11 years and my is still a school teacher for the Grand Prairie school district I know first hand that what you say does happen from time to time but I also know first hand that those that strike back to defend themself do not always go to alternative school.

My oldest son Zachary was getting pick on in 6 grade and I finally told him to protect himself and he was not sent to alternative school but the other boys was, if the parents take the time to document everything withen the school that will help those in charge make the correct decission as I was able to do with my child.

May I ask which alternative school you work for, I'm sure it is in Arlington since thatis where you train so is it the one off of 360 or on the west side down from the Arlington Golf course.

By the waythe reason I got out of teachinf was when I was stab while breaking up a fight, I was a high school math and Basketball and football coach. Kidd if you really want to see a bad school visit Crenshaw high school in LA, I tought there for two years, that is one of the toughest high schools in America, asI can see by your post you believe in what you are saying but I have been there and done that way before your time, Please have a safe and wonderful day at the alternative school you are at.

Terry

Thanks Terry for your response and I would agree with you I believe the parents should document all cases of harassment and I am glad your son did not suffer any consequences. It is a fine line we walk is it not being Martial Arts instructors and parents sometimes. You want the best for your child and no harm to come to them and when they are hurt you want to react rather than respond. I have 2 young boys of my own ages 8 and 10, I want them to know how to handle themselves but know when to walk away and to know the difference. I do not claim to have all the answers, I have been put in those situations before having to decide things with very little information, I only have a couple of hundred kids at a time ( yes they are the most behaviorally challenged) I cannot imagine being at some of our high schools with between 4,000 and 5,000 students. That is bigger than the town I grew up in! I guess my question I am trying to answer is how can we respond to violence with the least amount of violence, because so often in a crowded situation more people get hurt.

Thanks again for your reponse I always learn alot from your posts and appreciate your perspectives. Oh, and to answer your other questions I am at the Junior High on the northside of town.

Thanks Terry for your response and I would agree with you I believe the parents should document all cases of harassment and I am glad your son did not suffer any consequences. It is a fine line we walk is it not being Martial Arts instructors and parents sometimes. You want the best for your child and no harm to come to them and when they are hurt you want to react rather than respond. I have 2 young boys of my own ages 8 and 10, I want them to know how to handle themselves but know when to walk away and to know the difference. I do not claim to have all the answers, I have been put in those situations before having to decide things with very little information, I only have a couple of hundred kids at a time ( yes they are the most behaviorally challenged) I cannot imagine being at some of our high schools with between 4,000 and 5,000 students. That is bigger than the town I grew up in! I guess my question I am trying to answer is how can we respond to violence with the least amount of violence, because so often in a crowded situation more people get hurt.

Thanks again for your reponse I always learn alot from your posts and appreciate your perspectives. Oh, and to answer your other questions I am at the Junior High on the northside of town.

I know the one tough part of town you have no easy task, you are correct we have to walk that fine line all the time. Sometimes I wish parents would be more involved in the child activities like you are doing. I commend you on being the perfect gentleman and I also learn from all of your post maybe one day you and the kids can stop by the school and say hi or we can come by yours. Have a great day sir
icon14.gif

Terry

Back