Taijiquan Master Yang Chengfu's "Mysterious" Training Technique

windwalker099

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Author: Li Tongguo

excerpts translated to English.

Yang Chengfu, in his thirties

Practitioners use wooden stakes or stone steles as targets for strikes, known as "hitting stakes." For example, in the Yang family, training the energy of leaning (靠劲) in the "big rollback" (大捋) involves leaning and hitting wooden or tree stakes. Similarly, in spear training, practitioners use the spear's adhesive energy to repetitively brush against tree stakes. This principle is also seen in the well-known "wooden dummy" training in Wing Chun. However, modern Taijiquan practitioners rarely see this important auxiliary training method. Nevertheless, stakes are emotionless and static, while opponents in combat can dodge, jump, and counterattack. Thus, fixed stakes serve only as auxiliary training tools, not as substitutes for combat training.

Combat skills must be honed through real confrontations. Consequently, ancient Chinese martial arts developed a training method using people as targets, called "live stakes."

In "Taiji Anecdotes," it is mentioned that "Yang Chengfu's stake training was profound; he diligently practiced with live stakes." Yang Chengfu employed a strong man with a monthly salary of six silver dollars to act as a "stake," rigorously practicing real combat. This ancient concept of "live stakes" is similar to the modern role of "sparring partners" in competitive sports.

One can also gain combat experience by continuously competing with others, as the saying goes, "kung fu is developed through fighting." The training level, techniques, and preferred moves of opponents create endless variations in combat, and structured techniques must become adaptive. "Sparring partners" facilitate this transformation.

Push hands, originally a skill development practice in Taijiquan, now a competitive venue for many, distorting the skills needed for actual sparring outside this context. Historically, push hands was not used to test martial ability outside the training gym; it was primarily a method for developing sensitivity, balance, and application of Taiji principles."

Why I feel the modification of it by adding what some might consider missing elements is a wrong approach for something that was never meant to be used in this way

In terms of "physical training," ancient martial artists did not categorize it as modern training science does, but they had detailed classifications of "jin" (refined force). While "jin" is not entirely synonymous with strength, some aspects can be roughly categorized as relative strength or explosive power. Although ancient martial arts did not systematically categorize physical training, their methods were similar to modern practices. Ancient weight training tools like "stone weights" are akin to today's barbells.

The physical training that modern Taijiquan enthusiasts often neglect, focusing solely on standing postures, is crucial for effective push hands and combat training.

If one agrees with this, what should they do ?
If one does not agree with it, what do they not agree with ?

Translation done through Chat AI and google translate
For those who are native speakers, any help, clarification, or corrections of the translation much appreciated 👍

Last edited:
I agree… that TJQ practice focus is about interaction, and that carries into and put true value in the TJQ form practice .

In TJQ form practice Interacting rather than intra-acting mindset is crucial for maintaining/developing skill, if one got that right, I’d say’ do more form practice’ :cool:

In taijiquan practice I’ve never seen the staff/spear “brush” against a stake/tree method but I’ve no doubt it’s part of the older tradition training, however I did it in Yiquan practice in Beijing, and have often thought to bring it back into my training, it do gives a good solid sense from ground up through body feel .
I would have loved to try out the Japanese Jigen- ryu sword school striking stake practice

Latest Discussions

Back