Spinning Elbows?

mAnimal

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys

Is there such a move in karate (any styles) ? Spinning elbow / spinning back elbow

Is it called ushiro mawashi empi?

Also is there a spinning Backfist somewhere in karates syllabus?

Thank you very much

Hey guys

Is there such a move in karate (any styles) ? Spinning elbow / spinning back elbow

Spinning elbows/backfists are found in pretty much every striking art.

I ask because some guys from reddit said, thats not a karate technic or its not in kumite

I somehow found that video from a shotokan master

And just wanted to know if thats a thing you guys learn or train in karate :)

Forward elbow strikes are empi, applied with the 'front' of the elbow. Reverse elbow strikes are higi, applied with the 'back' of the elbow.

I ask because some guys from reddit said, thats not a karate technic or its not in kumite
Kumite is sparring. There are literally hundreds of different rulesets for sparring. Some allow elbows, some allow a limited selection of elbows, some do not allow elbows.

We trained a lot of spinning elbows in American Karate. But they were not allowed in sparring at all. Spinning backfists, sure, but absolutely no spinning elbows.

I somehow found that video from a shotokan master

And just wanted to know if thats a thing you guys learn or train in karate :)
There are multiple different styles of karate, and organizations that have different sparring/kumite rules. You're not going to find someone able to definitively claim that all styles do/don't have something, barring the obvious like having a front punch, or not teaching something like the "hurticane"

Hey guys

Thank you very much

We don't practice it often, but sensei called it Kaiten ushiro hiji ate.

Hey guys

Thank you very much
I can’t speak to karate techniques, but in CMA we have many different elbow strikes including that one.

In Shotokan it sometimes practiced in prearranged kumite drills, usually target at opponent stomach area as showing one possible combat application of the hikite arm(pullback arm when punching or blocking)

In Shotokan it sometimes practiced in prearranged kumite drills, usually target at opponent stomach area as showing one possible combat application of the hikite arm(pullback arm when punching or blocking)
This is not quite accurate. While the returning the arm mimics a rear elbow strike and can help practice the general motion, a rear mid elbow strike's motion may have some subtle difference.

As far as calling this "hikite," again, inaccurate, as true hikite will have hold of the opponent pulling him in. Trying to execute a rear elbow strike while drqgging another body along is obviously impractical. Also, in application hikite may not result in the hand ending up in the standard chambered position. A different direction of pull may be needed to make the hikite effective for the counter. It may be lower or off to the side a bit.

But for a beginner your explanation may be sufficient until the student is ready for the finer points. Hikite is perhaps more emphasized in Okinawan karate than in Shotokan so its finer points may not be as important for your style.

Last edited:
This is not quite accurate. While the returning the arm mimics a rear elbow strike and can help practice the general motion, a rear mid elbow strike's motion may have some subtle difference.

As far as calling this "hikite," again, inaccurate, as true hikite will have hold of the opponent pulling him in. Trying to execute a rear elbow strike while drqgging another body along is obviously impractical. Also, in application hikite may not result in the hand ending up in the standard chambered position. A different direction of pull may be needed to make the hikite effective for the counter. It may be lower or off to the side a bit.

But for a beginner your explanation may be sufficient until the student is ready for the finer points. Hikite is perhaps more emphasized in Okinawan karate than in Shotokan so its finer points may not be as important for your style.
Sure , of course “hikite” do not translate as “elbow strike”, I only wrote as example picturing it as a backward elbow strike, and in the case of thread topic a strike while spinning around . As a training exercise the focus as I remember was not so much in the elbow strike it self, the main focus was in timely tai sabaki against incoming tsuki(punch)

Heck, I even think there’s a drawing in the bubishi showing something like it

Hey guys

Thank you very much
Absolutely. The move is in some older TKD patterns.

Back