Some Old Okinawan Judo and Gojuryu Stuff

Jeff_Beish

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I finally found a photo of Eiichi Miyazato doing Judo! I was a student and friend of his during my stay at Naha AB, Okinawa from around Jan 1961 until the end of July 1962. He was a lot of fun to randori with and a great Judoka. He was also President of the Okinawan Judo federation so the U.S. Air Force would invite him to accompany the Air Force Judo Team from Okinawa to Japan when we needed a coach. He was a Goju-ryu karate master. I remember once he drove me to the Miyagi Garden Dojo in north side of Naha and allowed me to train there for an hour or so. After that I would go up once a week to train and learn from him. Goju is a very different type of karate that I was used to and I was usually drained of energy after practice. Miyazato sensei passed away in 1999.

Most of the Internet information on him is of his Gojuryu teaching, but I found a photo of him throwing someone in Judo:

Miyazato_Judo.jpg

He was a nice and funny sensei. He would invite me to the Miyagi Garden Dojo to help weed it out and then train in karate, and Judo on his wood floors!

FB_IMG_1570635019890-768x527.jpg

This photo must have been made in the 1940's looking at Eiichi and Miyagi, who died in 1953, so he looked healthy enough there. I think Miyazato was born in 25 or 26, so he was in his mid-30's when I knew him..

Last edited:
Those are some great photos.
Since I am near 84, I digress too much, and drive my wife crazy with old memories! :cool: The group photos I have had for years, but just can upon the throw image. It is quite amazing to me how the Japanese have erased the old Okinawa culture away, but it is getting very difficult to find Judo and Okinawa in the same sentence. Oh well, it is nice to share old stuff from back in the day. Miyazato was a great person and I never forgot him or his friendship.

Another photo of Eiichi and our Naha club members in Japan, and the Kadena Judo Club gang. Hum, I took the photo and only reflection of me: :D

miyazato_1962.jpg

Miyazato Ei'ichi O'Sensei - Goju Ryu Karate-Do Okinawa and President of the Okinawan Judo Federation. TOP: Photo of Miyazato at barracks window on Johnson Air Base, Japan. BOTTOM: Miyazato Judo class at Kadana AB; Kneeling, L to R- Ree C. Fitzpatrick, Patrick J. Goldsworthy, Ei'ichi Miyazato (Sensei), Dean Tower, ? Matthews, name(?). Standing: L to R- Steve Vorweck, name(?), Dave Gorden, Walt Conlon

Miyazato took over from the late Miyagi as top Goju ryu master and was a 9th dan before I left there.

Last edited:
Miyazato taught Goju ryu that was in the Shorin Ryu group back then and was quite similar to Matsubayashi-Ryu that my sensei, Shoshin Nagamine created. But, even Nagamine played Judo!

NagamineJudo.jpg

Shoshin Nagamine sensei, receiving Judo shodan in 1946.

I enjoy historical Martial photos. And I hope young Martial Artists take a lot of photos of their journeys today. Especially with how easy it is now.

Miyazato taught Goju ryu that was in the Shorin Ryu group
Please explain this. How could Naha style be in the Shuri style group??? I'm not aware of any lineage mixing post Matsumura/Kanryo with Itosu taught by both and Miyagi/Itosu not working together to my knowledge. Thank you for anything you can share regarding this apparent contradiction.

Please explain this. How could Naha style be in the Shuri style group??? I'm not aware of any lineage mixing post Matsumura/Kanryo with Itosu taught by both and Miyagi/Itosu not working together to my knowledge. Thank you for anything you can share regarding this apparent contradiction.
I have no idea. It has been 65 years, so I forget some of the history I gleamed from them, and my Okinawan was not all that great then. They may have not been clear anyway.

Back