Shingles Vaccine

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the U.K., at least, thereā€™s a big push to have all 65 yr olds to have the shingles vaccine. Shingles is a very painful eruption of blisters on the skin usually following one or more of the bodyā€™s dermatomes caused by the herpes zoster virus (chick pox). The latest vaccine is a recombinant version (no live virus like the older one). It much reduces the chances of suffering from shingles. But a big research programme shows it might also protect against dementia!

In the U.K., at least, thereā€™s a big push to have all 65 yr olds to have the shingles vaccine. Shingles is a very painful eruption of blisters on the skin usually following one or more of the bodyā€™s dermatomes caused by the herpes zoster virus (chick pox). The latest vaccine is a recombinant version (no live virus like the older one). It much reduces the chances of suffering from shingles. But a big research programme shows it might also protect against dementia!

I read that. My wife and I have both had the two-shot combo of Shingrix in the past year. I had previously had the one-shot predecessor of Shingrix.

Like most humans on the planet, we had both had Chicken Pox as children, and were therefore at risk of Shingles. My sensei got Shingles, and the pain he went through was excruciating. One of our dojomates got Shingles on his face and lost his eyesight in one eye permanently (very rare, but it happens).

The fact that it might have other advantages is terrific.

I also take 2000 mg a day of Metformin, and many hail that as a miracle drug on par with aspirin. Even if I ever managed to be cured of diabetes, I'd still want to take Metformin. And it's also generic and cheap as chips.

Like most humans on the planet, we had both had Chicken Pox as children, and were therefore at risk of Shingles. My sensei got Shingles, and the pain he went through was excruciating. One of our dojomates got Shingles on his face and lost his eyesight in one eye permanently (very rare, but it happens).
When I had chicken pox I was 19 and developed three little lesions on the cornea of my left eye blurring my vision to the point of being extremely restricted it that eye. Luckily they cleared up after a couple of years!
I believe theyā€™re finding a similar story with the COVID 19 vaccine. Does that mean the majority of demented people of the future with be anti-vaxxersā€¦šŸ¤”
I also take 2000 mg a day of Metformin, and many hail that as a miracle drug on par with aspirin. Even if I ever managed to be cured of diabetes, I'd still want to take Metformin. And it's also generic and cheap as chips.
Yes, the ā€˜biguanidesā€™ of which metformin is a member is a curiously magic drug! Iā€™ve read a lot of advice suggesting one shouldnā€™t take low dose aspirin unless you already have cardiovascular disease, but metformin has many positive propertiesā€¦šŸ¤”

I got the shots this year, too.

A buddy of mine got shingles a couple of years ago. He suffered, it was nasty.

You just never think of shingles as being an issue.

When I had chicken pox I was 19 and developed three little lesions on the cornea of my left eye blurring my vision to the point of being extremely restricted it that eye. Luckily they cleared up after a couple of years!

I believe theyā€™re finding a similar story with the COVID 19 vaccine. Does that mean the majority of demented people of the future with be anti-vaxxersā€¦šŸ¤”

Yes, the ā€˜biguanidesā€™ of which metformin is a member is a curiously magic drug! Iā€™ve read a lot of advice suggesting one shouldnā€™t take low dose aspirin unless you already have cardiovascular disease, but metformin has many positive propertiesā€¦šŸ¤”
Right, I used to hear low-dose aspirin was recommended for those over 40, then that it was bad. However, although I already have heart disease, I am on blood thinners, so aspirin is right out for me. The metformin however, I'll probably take forever.

I had shingles in 2000, after my divorce and living on my own. I caught it early and got some meds the next day. (Sunday to Monday) and I also used Preparation H as it was on my mid back and ribs. It discolored the t-shirts, yet it would stop the itching and that lead to less pain over all. I was lucky. ( In this case)
I had a friend who had it around 23 or 24. He was in bad for a long time and it was very painful.

Right, I used to hear low-dose aspirin was recommended for those over 40, then that it was bad. However, although I already have heart disease, I am on blood thinners, so aspirin is right out for me. The metformin however, I'll probably take forever.
Yes, they say the risks of taking aspirin (stomach bleeds) mean only those who really need it (those with existing heart disease) should take it. Iā€™ve been taking it since I was in my 30s and my blood has been flying through my arteries ever since.

I had shingles in 2000, after my divorce and living on my own. I caught it early and got some meds the next day. (Sunday to Monday) and I also used Preparation H as it was on my mid back and ribs. It discolored the t-shirts, yet it would stop the itching and that lead to less pain over all. I was lucky. ( In this case)
I had a friend who had it around 23 or 24. He was in bad for a long time and it was very painful.
Itā€™s an awful condition but itā€™s name makes it sound trivial. They should rename it to something like ā€˜pustules of fireā€™ or ā€˜Touch of the Angel of Deathā€™ā€¦but all posh in Latin anā€™ sh*t.

The virus continues to live in your spinal cord after being infected by chicken pox. When you become immunosuppressed, it migrates along your spinal nerves to cause the painful blisters on you skin which that nerve supplies (a band around your body: dermatomes) This arrangement of dermatomes on the body is a ruminant of arrangement, back to our last common ancestor, the segmented (annelid) worm!

Itā€™s an awful condition but itā€™s name makes it sound trivial. They should rename it to something like ā€˜pustules of fireā€™ or ā€˜Touch of the Angel of Deathā€™ā€¦but all posh in Latin anā€™ sh*t.

The virus continues to live in your spinal cord after being infected by chicken pox. When you become immunosuppressed, it migrates along your spinal nerves to cause the painful blisters on you skin which that nerve supplies (a band around your body: dermatomes) This arrangement of dermatomes on the body is a ruminant of arrangement, back to our last common ancestor, the segmented (annelid) worm!
veni vidi vidi mortuus sum
Just a first pass :D

I read that. My wife and I have both had the two-shot combo of Shingrix in the past year. I had previously had the one-shot predecessor of Shingrix.

Shingles is no fun. Very painful.

I didnā€™t know what it was when I got it. It was at the very beginning of the pandemic and I was really sick. Thought it might be Covid so I made a virtual appointment with the doctor. He said something like, ā€œwe should get you tested for Covid, but in the meantime, we better get you treated for the shingles.ā€

My wife got some kind of two dose vaccine for shingles very shortly after seeing how bad it was for me. šŸ˜‚

I didnā€™t know what it was when I got it. It was at the very beginning of the pandemic and I was really sick. Thought it might be Covid so I made a virtual appointment with the doctor. He said something like, ā€œwe should get you tested for Covid, but in the meantime, we better get you treated for the shingles.ā€

My wife got some kind of two dose vaccine for shingles very shortly after seeing how bad it was for me. šŸ˜‚

Yeah, man, it scared the hell out of me. My buddy never complained about anything, not even the two different times heā€™s been shot.

But he complained to me when had Shingles.
I got the first shot that week.

Latest Discussions

Back