school's influence on our children

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On a local radio chow here in Cleveland they were debating the issues that passed and failed on election day. One that failed was Cleveland's school levy. The interesting part was the story a caller had about his election day experience. He got home after working and then voting to find his 7 yr old son waiting for him. The boy asked if he voted and the father answered "yes". The boy asked about the presidental vote and then the school levy vote. The father told the boy the candidate he voted for and said he voted against the levy. The boy immediatly burst into tears and handed his father a note from his pocket. The note was a letter that the boy said his teacher made them write that tells his father to vote for the levy or if he doesn't then it shows the boy that his father didn't love him. Do you think that the teacher has a right to do this?

OULobo said:
OThe note was a letter that the boy said his teacher made them write that tells his father to vote for the levy or if he doesn't then it shows the boy that his father didn't love him. Do you think that the teacher has a right to do this?

The story seems so preposterous as to be completely unbelievable.

PeachMonkey said:
The story seems so preposterous as to be completely unbelievable.

Well, remember this was on a local radio show. Still I could see it happening. There were even a few local teachers that called in to say they wish they had thought of that.

Zepp said:
If it is true, the teacher should be fired outright. That's a particularly disgusting form of campaigning.
Agreed. Involving a young child is unforgivable.

Dear Ron Jeremy:

Doing this in a public school is unforgivable, to be sure. That's what Sunday School is for.

Near where I live there was a town that had low taxes and so everyone mvoed tehre and built these really big new homes. Well all the parents complained that their children had to take turns each week stanging or sitting on the floor. Yet, when an emergency miliage was asked for to build new class rooms and get supplies, the miliage failed 3 to 1.

The kids were mad at the parents, the Parents were made at the school system for not having enough. the school system was mad at teh Mayor and planning board for allowing so many new sub-divisions with no plans for the schools. They had recalls for the School board and for the local Mayor et al. All were replaced, and in the mean time new miliages were voted down time and again.

Some of the teachers got so upset from the crap that the parents were giving them they went on the radio and spoke out and give out the information they had about the number of failed bonds and miliages, the complaints and the threats.

So, yes I believe this could have happened. I also think it is not respectable. What happened in the example I provided was the teachers replying to an issue over the air themselves. Not by using or attacking the kids or family. Yet, given the above, I do not know how many times a miliage or bond had been asked for, and how frustrated the school teachers were from the whole situation.

Peace
:asian:

I agree. That teacher should be fired. I don't care how many levys have been struck down, it's not right to involve a kid like that. The school board or some form of local government should be taking that fight to the parents directly.

There's always options. Manipulation of a child isn't one of them, though.

Zepp said:
If it is true, the teacher should be fired outright. That's a particularly disgusting form of campaigning.
Depending on the context that the teacher was working within, I would say at the VERY least, he needs to have his 'hand slapped' and have it on the record that he did it and was told not to do it again - then if things like this continue, there is administrative procedure for firing.

If it is as simple as it sounds (which is kind of strange and ridiculous honestly - or at least a case of extreme exageration), then the teacher is abusing his authority/influence for sure.

WhenI was in the 4th grade, our teacher gave us an assignment to go home and ask our parents who they were voting for. This was during the 1992 election. She inundated the class with criticisms of Clinton. They told me to go to class and answer "the candidate of their choices." Next day the teacher said that wasn't sufficient, I had to get the vote. My parents proceeded to the school to have a friendly chat; unfortunately, a friend's parents had already beat them to the punch. This was in a suburb of Miami, FL.

Don't remember whatever happened to that teacher. I can't imagine that she kept her job. Anyway, I bring it up because the actions of the teacher OuLobo describes remind me of that little incident.

RandomPhantom700 said:
WhenI was in the 4th grade, our teacher gave us an assignment to go home and ask our parents who they were voting for. This was during the 1992 election. She inundated the class with criticisms of Clinton. They told me to go to class and answer "the candidate of their choices." Next day the teacher said that wasn't sufficient, I had to get the vote. My parents proceeded to the school to have a friendly chat; unfortunately, a friend's parents had already beat them to the punch. This was in a suburb of Miami, FL.

Don't remember whatever happened to that teacher. I can't imagine that she kept her job. Anyway, I bring it up because the actions of the teacher OuLobo describes remind me of that little incident.
I teach in a HS right now and had students asking about who I would vote for and I answered them honestly. That led to discussion about the whys and what fors of who we thought should be elected....now if I had crossed into slamming their choices or grading them on an assignment that required parent involvement (which a student CAN NOT control) and the parents didn't cooperate 'fully to the extent of the assignment' but the student did his job of asking and getting answer that would be stupid (and I don't like using that word in relation to education but it is perfect in this case).

Firing over it? I don't know about that. Should you get fired from your place of work if you are the boss and reward people who vote the way you support (as in tickets to games, paid lunches....)? Nope. Should you be held accountable in some way? Sure.

If it is a regular occurance and you refuse to change...now your talking dismissal.

True, I guess one instance wouldn't be enough to warrant getting canned. She'd been talking to us all about politics for a while--telling us how Bush Sr. was a great leader, how Clinton didn't serve in Vietnam (damn these sound familiar), and I, being the parrot of a 10-year-old that I was, just came home spewing all this crap to mommy and daddy.

I have no problem with educators discussing their political views, although I can't see why a teacher would talk about politics with a bunch of 4th graders other than to use them as indirect campaigning as she was.

RandomPhantom700 said:
True, I guess one instance wouldn't be enough to warrant getting canned. She'd been talking to us all about politics for a while--telling us how Bush Sr. was a great leader, how Clinton didn't serve in Vietnam (damn these sound familiar), and I, being the parrot of a 10-year-old that I was, just came home spewing all this crap to mommy and daddy.

I have no problem with educators discussing their political views, although I can't see why a teacher would talk about politics with a bunch of 4th graders other than to use them as indirect campaigning as she was.
I think the confusion is that teachers (el ed primarily) may be confusing talking about the election process to 'educate' children and to encourage them to be life long learners/citizens with debating their opinions with the students. As adults and young adults, you can do that more reasonably. With El Ed aged children, just talking to them about the election process, sharing media commentary and offering up the comparison/contrasts about the candidates is probably the smarter way to go.

Politics is a touchy subject so I think that teachers may forget that when they are 'just talking about it' they are actually debating at times. El Ed kids are so maliable that they can absorb (as you mentioned doing) the opinion instead of recognizing the process.

Teachers have a great deal of influence on their students, and unfortunatley they sometimes abuse it like in this case. I believe that this teacher should be punished without a doubt, but I don't think it should be the end of her career. She did a very bad thing, but as many of us can agree with you get so enraveled in the election that you try to preach to anyone you can to get the result you want. Unfortunatley she took advantage of little children, and deeply hurt that little boy. We are all human and unfortunatly we don't always think things through to the repercussions of our actions in the near future. I must say that she has the right to do this but it was the wrong choice. Now I must ask the question, if she won't be fired(which she probably won't), what will the fitting punishment be?

Cheers,

Ryan

Rynocerous said:
.what will the fitting punishment be?
Well I'm not sure it should be punishment, in fact. Of course, it depends if the teacher is a first offender... Might be straight out of teacher's training college.

Maybe a fitting "punishment" would be for the teacher to hold a debate in the class about whether or not (or to what extent) a teacher has the right to impose his or her opinions on the pupils.

pakua said:
Well I'm not sure it should be punishment, in fact. Of course, it depends if the teacher is a first offender... Might be straight out of teacher's training college.

Maybe a fitting "punishment" would be for the teacher to hold a debate in the class about whether or not (or to what extent) a teacher has the right to impose his or her opinions on the pupils.
I agree that if it is the first offense it should be minor. Although, whether or not the teacher is just out of college or a 20 year senior teacher it shouldn't matter, wrong is wrong.

Cheers,

Ryan

yeah, but you knew it was football, so you must speak some footballspeak

Latest Discussions

Back