School bus violence

Originally posted by littleyahiko
I don't know all of your guys' ages, but having just got out of high school, let me explain some of the regulations. First off, if I'm in a fight, and by being in a fight I mean a kid punched me in the face, I fell down and that was the end of it, I'm going to get suspended. That's right, I was just jacked in the face and now I'm suspended, something that goes on my permanent record. The regulations of school are so ridiculously unfair nowadays, under the title "Safe Schools Act" which is complete ********.

I hear ya! I just came from high school a few years ago, and my school had that. Load of bullfeathers that is cuz it doesn't stop fights at all. And I've seen it where someone gets hit and the attacker gets off scott free! dang shame we have crap like that floating around.

This act of violence is highly disturbing. I know that in my high school my senior year there within the first 2 weeks of school there had been 10 fights...record breaking I'm sure!!! Most of the post are right though when it comes to people not getting invovled. I can't remember how to spell it but a number of years ago a woman was stabbed outside her apartment building in California. She was stabbed over 20 times while neighbors watched outside the windows and she screamed for help. Her attacker even managed to leave and she crawled to the apartment and tried to buzz people for help. No one came to help her, no one called the police. Her attacker returned and finished her off. This isn't saying much for the society which we live in actually. If i'm being attacked I want someone to call the police, i want to know that someone will at least try and help in that sense. Things like this happen all the time in schools and it's sad to see. One of my friends was hospitalized for 2 weeks in high school when he got jumped by 3 guys in the hall. By the time my friend and I worked our way through the encouraging crowd the attackers had taken off and everyone departed while he was left there bleeding on the floor. I say if a teacher hurts a student in a fight, good for them, most of the students are bigger and stronger than the teachers are any how. It's really sad that you can't even go to school to learn without being scared of the violence within. :(

That's a lotta fights there, fuzzy.

And before that stupid act came around, only the attacker would get in trouble, but even then, it'd be one day of in school. You get more punishment for walking out or cutting than for fighting.

Originally posted by FUZZYJ692000
This act of violence is highly disturbing. I know that in my high school my senior year there within the first 2 weeks of school there had been 10 fights...record breaking I'm sure!!! Most of the post are right though when it comes to people not getting invovled. I can't remember how to spell it but a number of years ago a woman was stabbed outside her apartment building in California. She was stabbed over 20 times while neighbors watched outside the windows and she screamed for help. Her attacker even managed to leave and she crawled to the apartment and tried to buzz people for help. No one came to help her, no one called the police. Her attacker returned and finished her off. This isn't saying much for the society which we live in actually. If i'm being attacked I want someone to call the police, i want to know that someone will at least try and help in that sense. Things like this happen all the time in schools and it's sad to see. One of my friends was hospitalized for 2 weeks in high school when he got jumped by 3 guys in the hall. By the time my friend and I worked our way through the encouraging crowd the attackers had taken off and everyone departed while he was left there bleeding on the floor. I say if a teacher hurts a student in a fight, good for them, most of the students are bigger and stronger than the teachers are any how. It's really sad that you can't even go to school to learn without being scared of the violence within. :(

I remember once a fight happened in my high school that I didn't know about and 30 min. later I walked by the site of the fight and found a large clump of scalp and hair on the floor. The fight was between two girls and one pulled out the hair of the other. Brutal.

The story you are talking about sounds exactly like the famous rape and murder of Kitty Genovese in New York. I think it was in Hell's Kitchen during the 50s or 60s. People just told the murderer to "be quiet" and "leave her alone", but none of them even bothered to call the police. Its pretty a sad case.

Originally posted by TheRustyOne
And before that stupid act came around, only the attacker would get in trouble,

I think zero-tolerance came about because it was virtually impossible to determine the true attacker. Most fights start over stupid things (almost always ego related) and both of them say that the other started it. What else can you do than cite them both as guilty? I don't really disagree with the policy, it sure makes you want to stay out of trouble, even the receiving end.

If it's a true self-defense situation, one in which you're trying to escape and not punish, charges should be filed for assault against the attacker. If not, then you're fighting and should be punished, plain and simple to me.

The same goes with adults outside of school. you get into a fight, the police are likely to charge both of you unless you can reasonably argue that it was self-defense.

WhiteBirch

Originally posted by lvwhitebir
I think zero-tolerance came about because it was virtually impossible to determine the true attacker. Most fights start over stupid things (almost always ego related) and both of them say that the other started it. What else can you do than cite them both as guilty? I don't really disagree with the policy, it sure makes you want to stay out of trouble, even the receiving end.

If it's a true self-defense situation, one in which you're trying to escape and not punish, charges should be filed for assault against the attacker. If not, then you're fighting and should be punished, plain and simple to me.

The same goes with adults outside of school. you get into a fight, the police are likely to charge both of you unless you can reasonably argue that it was self-defense.

WhiteBirch

I can't agree with that. The most obvious example is the kid in the video this thread is about. He was sucker punched on the way off the bus, he continued to show passive motions by holding his hands up and he tried to escape by withdrawing farther into the bus. The kid didn't even throw a punch in the fight. How can you justify punishing him for this. Even if he provoked the fight, of which there is no proof, the other kid decided to turn it physical. That's the differance between the two that should make the differance in punishment. Only the agressor reverted to physical violence.

Hey I have seen some bad fights on my school bus and I went to a suberban school. We used to ride the bus with the older kids when I went to school so they would always pick on us. Anyways me and my friend ended up getting in a fight with them because we would not get out of our seats and stand so they could sit so they jacked up my friend who was huge and me who was small, well long story short we ended up getting in a huge fight his head went threw a window. We got kicked off the bus for a month and we all got one day of suspension. mind you we were four years younger then the older kids probley closer to 5 since we were in fourth and they were in 8th grade. After that year they changed the start times of the schools so they started earlier then us. Another time my friend started dating this girl and it was this other guys ex girlfriend, and he came on our bus to fight my friend. Neither of us knew him so he cracked my friend in the back of his head he feel into the emergancey door and got a huge cut he needed stitches for he jumped on my buddy, I grabbed him tied him up since we were still at school we had to all get on the bus we all got the same 2 days inschool suspension so we all had to sit in a room together for two days. It was crazy.

By the way I don't really think it is teachers jobs to get in fights. My friend is student teaching now and they told him never to break up a fight because the school will not defend him if the parents sue the school or the teacher, they are not allowed to touch the students only verbally warn them. I think the bus driver did the best she could in the situation she was in. She was a lady that could barley make it down the Aisle what was she supposed to do. I like that kid he just got up and left lol he was tough.
PALM BAY, Fla. -- This was no typical after school fight. Palm Bay Police say it's one of the worst beatings they've ever seen. A student repeatedly punched a boy on the bus until he was too tired to hit his victim anymore.

Video

Student Is Repeatedly Punched On School Bus

Not strange enough? Read more strange news from WFTV.com.

The bus driver immediately radioed for police when the violence began and they hauled that student off to jail. This all happened as the Palm Bay High School students were on their way home from school Thursday afternoon.

Police investigators were shocked when they saw the severity of the violent attack caught on tape. It all starts innocently enough. A student sitting in the back throws a small football or paper wad toward the front of the bus.

"We don't know if there's any background between the two young people," says Lt. Dave Crispin, Palm Bay Police Department.

It apparently angered one student and, about four minutes later, when a student from the back of the bus tries to exit, a swing is thrown at him. The bus driver tries to grab the suspect, but he continues after the student.

GET WFTV NEWS HEADLINES BY EMAIL
9 a.m. Headlines
Noon Headlines
4 p.m. Headlines
News of the Strange
Breaking News Alerts

"The victim immediately started backing up, which is a clear sign to anybody that's being aggressive that there's no need to continue the attack," explains Lt. Crispin.

But the attack continues. The suspect pummels the student, repeatedly punching him in the face and upper body.

The bus driver calls for help and tries to get the beating to stop. But the suspect doesn't listen.

The suspect ignores the bus driver and continues to pound away. Other students get out of the way and also try to get him to stop. After picking up the student and throwing him on the seat, the attack finally stops, 47 seconds later.

The beating suspect was arrested by police and charged with battery and disruption of an educational institution and he could be expelled.
Copyright 2003 by wftv.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Originally posted by JDenz
Hey I have seen some bad fights on my school bus and I went to a suberban school. We used to ride the bus with the older kids when I went to school so they would always pick on us. Anyways me and my friend ended up getting in a fight with them because we would not get out of our seats and stand so they could sit so they jacked up my friend who was huge and me who was small, well long story short we ended up getting in a huge fight his head went threw a window. We got kicked off the bus for a month and we all got one day of suspension. mind you we were four years younger then the older kids probley closer to 5 since we were in fourth and they were in 8th grade. After that year they changed the start times of the schools so they started earlier then us. Another time my friend started dating this girl and it was this other guys ex girlfriend, and he came on our bus to fight my friend. Neither of us knew him so he cracked my friend in the back of his head he feel into the emergancey door and got a huge cut he needed stitches for he jumped on my buddy, I grabbed him tied him up since we were still at school we had to all get on the bus we all got the same 2 days inschool suspension so we all had to sit in a room together for two days. It was crazy.

And the rest is history, JDenz became a "made man." He now only beats up people for profit. It's the "American" way!:cool:

Okay. Interesting fight from my senior year....

One girl (girl A) was talking crap about another girl's (girl B) boyfriend, like "he sleeps with everyone," and worse. Well, girl B did her best to ignore it but after a whole day of this, the turns and decks girl A. Knocks said girl flat on her tushie, and walks away complaining about a broken nail. And this was done right infront of the office where i was student aiding. My friend and I were surprised.

Lol actully I might be fighting in January. Lol no way I wasn't made then lol.

Originally posted by JDenz
Lol actully I might be fighting in January. Lol no way I wasn't made then lol.

Well, I guess the betting line will be long?:eek:

I don't know what fight you guys were watching but I think the victim did a great job by getting out of the way of as many punches as he did. I'm not seeing the horror that everyone else sees. It wasn't very brutal.

I don't think it was that brutal they were just kids, he defintly did not want to fight though.

Originally posted by OULobo
I can't agree with that. The most obvious example is the kid in the video this thread is about. He was sucker punched on the way off the bus, he continued to show passive motions by holding his hands up and he tried to escape by withdrawing farther into the bus. The kid didn't even throw a punch in the fight. How can you justify punishing him for this. Even if he provoked the fight, of which there is no proof, the other kid decided to turn it physical. That's the differance between the two that should make the differance in punishment. Only the agressor reverted to physical violence.

I don't justify punishing him for this. I'm saying that without the evidence of the video, there wouldn't be anything other than the sides of the kids themselves and I doubt you'd get everyone saying it was one kid's fault over the other. Friends will stick with their favorite. That's why there's a zero-tolerance policy. The video is evidence of his innocence that should be seen by the school administrators.

This video is terrific proof for the courts, too. The kid who was attacked should be reinstated in school and has a perfect lawsuit against the aggressive kid *and* his parents.

WhiteBirch

Originally posted by lvwhitebir
I don't justify punishing him for this. I'm saying that without the evidence of the video, there wouldn't be anything other than the sides of the kids themselves and I doubt you'd get everyone saying it was one kid's fault over the other. Friends will stick with their favorite. That's why there's a zero-tolerance policy. The video is evidence of his innocence that should be seen by the school administrators.

This video is terrific proof for the courts, too. The kid who was attacked should be reinstated in school and has a perfect lawsuit against the aggressive kid *and* his parents.

WhiteBirch

agreed

Back