RIP Angi Uezu, Isshinryu

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This appears to be all around Facebook at the moment. I haven't found independent confirmation yet, but the sources on Facebook seem legitimate. It is reported that GM Angi Uezu, the son-in-law of Shimabuku Tatsuo, Soke, has passed.

Uezu Sensei was one of the leaders of Isshinryu karate in Okinawa after the passing of Tatsuo Shimabuku. There was a split due to some disagreements over who was designated as the heir to the system, and Uezu Sensei headed one of the resulting groups.

I knew and worked with him when I was stationed in Okinawa in 1983/1984. I was a Marine Military Policeman and he was a gate guard (US bases in Okinawa were ceded to Japan in the 1970s, so the gates were guarded by Okinawan guards alongside MPs). I was introduced to him by a pair of young Marines who worked for me and trained with him. I did not train with him in Isshinryu, but he was a very nice man whom I enjoyed conversing with.

Rest in Peace, sir.

I have it on good authority Master Uezu has indeed passed. A big loss for isshinryu and one less connection to karate's old days. Regretfuly, I never had a chance to meet him, but I've learned from his old videos. He had a unique individual style. His heir, Tsuyoshi Uechi, had continually visited and cared for his master who had long suffered from a stroke. My sensei often visited with him during his stay in Okinawa and many subsequent yearly visits. RIP.

My condolences to all who will feel his loss.

Back