Richard Cheney Shot while Hunting.

michaeledward said:
Great ... four posts in, and you have resorted to ad hominem attacks. It wasn't funny the first time around. How soon before you accuse me of being a Nazi?

Geeeez..... I was just making a joke. Is that so wrong? And why would making a joke equate to me calling you a Nazi? Just trying to lighten the mood, man.

Peace!!!

deadhand31 said:
Geeeez..... I was just making a joke. Is that so wrong? And why would making a joke equate to me calling you a Nazi? Just trying to lighten the mood, man.

Peace!!!

As I mentioned, the joke was not funny the first time around. As a former Massachusetts citizen and voter, I have voted for the Senior Senator on at least two occassions.

The Kennedy family has served the citizens of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the States of Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, and in fact the entire country for many decades.

yoda said:
When 900 years old, you are, look as good, you will not, eh?

michaeledward said:
The Kennedy family has served the citizens of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the States of Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, and in fact the entire country for many decades.

So because his last name is Kennedy, you are required to ignore his misdeeds. Do what I say, not what I do.

I agree that murdering a young woman and getting a free pass for it, thanks to your wealth and power, is not funny at all.

michaeledward said:
It seems to me, a former President was once a high profile example from which we launched a national debate about oral sex and whether it was, or was not, sex. What is the difference, I wonder?

It's okay-the current president will soon be embroiled in a national debate about what's "classified" and what isn't, and that's may just prove far more damning, at least in the court of public opinion-he'll never be impeached, of course, though hearings might take place after the elections......

IF....he is guitly of what he has been accused of, then he should suffer the same punishment as anyone else. However, he has not been as of yet, and until then....the arguement doesn't work.

Maybe Bush should do what Kennedy does when has a problem....drink it off.

Jeff Boler said:
So because his last name is Kennedy, you are required to ignore his misdeeds. Do what I say, not what I do.

No. It is a sad incident.

Which do you suppose is more appropriate ... being descreet about it, or making a punch line out of it?

michaeledward said:
It will be very interesting to watch this story unfold.

The Mayor of Carlsbad, New Mexico is reporting that in the late 1990's, while hunting on a private ranch in the South part of that state, the Chief Executive Officer of Halliburton was shot.

Mayor Forrest, and his twin brother, are unable to say which of them actually shot Mr. Cheney.

Also along for the hunting expedition was Senator Domenici.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002314518

why do you believe it will be interesting? Sorry, if I don't follow. I find it ironic, to say the least that he was shot given the recent events.

Lisa said:
why do you believe it will be interesting? Sorry, if I don't follow. I find it ironic, to say the least that he was shot given the recent events.

I believe it is the irony, itself, that will be interesting to watch. Richard Cheney does not seem to be able to grasp irony; he is far too concrete in his thinking.

As I recall, some of the arguments put forth after the Texas shooting ... that it was a one-time accident, which could happen to anyone, so therefore we should just wish the best for the man who was shot, let Texas Fish and Wildlife assess the fine for hunting without the proper stamp (as it was a new requirement), and move on. (Move on dot org?)

Will those arguments now seem a bit less rational when Mr. Cheney has now, twice, been involved in such a 'one-time' accident. Realizing it was once as a shootee, and once as a shooter.

My position (despite the wishes of many on this board) is that these are hunter safety issues and gun safety issues. I think gun safety issues should carry very severe, if not extreme, consequences.

And while I do not hunt, I know there are many reasons why hunting is essential in our society. The decline of hunting in this country is a bad trend, that I hope will be reversed. But, when 'accidents' such as this occur, and have limited (or no) consequence, I think it will prevent new people from investigating, learning, and practicing the activity. This will have bad consequences on open spaces and wildlife stock.

I have very high ethical standards and expectations for my fellow anglers. There is no reason to think these standards and expectations should be lowered for any citizen.

deadhand31 said:
On a side note....

I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney... than go driving with Ted Kennedy.

Oh I dunno ... I think either way you're screwed - but then you could throw Clinton and Nixon in there too. :flame:

michaeledward said:
I believe it is the irony, itself, that will be interesting to watch. Richard Cheney does not seem to be able to grasp irony; he is far too concrete in his thinking.

As I recall, some of the arguments put forth after the Texas shooting ... that it was a one-time accident, which could happen to anyone, so therefore we should just wish the best for the man who was shot, let Texas Fish and Wildlife assess the fine for hunting without the proper stamp (as it was a new requirement), and move on. (Move on dot org?)

Will those arguments now seem a bit less rational when Mr. Cheney has now, twice, been involved in such a 'one-time' accident. Realizing it was once as a shootee, and once as a shooter.

My position (despite the wishes of many on this board) is that these are hunter safety issues and gun safety issues. I think gun safety issues should carry very severe, if not extreme, consequences.

And while I do not hunt, I know there are many reasons why hunting is essential in our society. The decline of hunting in this country is a bad trend, that I hope will be reversed. But, when 'accidents' such as this occur, and have limited (or no) consequence, I think it will prevent new people from investigating, learning, and practicing the activity. This will have bad consequences on open spaces and wildlife stock.

I have very high ethical standards and expectations for my fellow anglers. There is no reason to think these standards and expectations should be lowered for any citizen.

Thank you for your response and for the explanation.

I now understand where my confusion was regarding the original post.

If we want to discuss firearms, hunting, safety and consequences thereof then I agree that the thread belongs in the firearms section of this forum. The link you provided does not share any statistical data relating to the type of gun used, the amount of accidents found in correlation with such a firearm. It does not have any established data of how many people are firearm safety trained before hunting, how many accidents per year are the responsibility of those untrained compared to those trained nor does it have any data regarding the consequences of such tragedies.

What is does say is that the VP, before being VP, was in an unfortunate accident himself. The irony of the situation considering the recent events made me believe that this thread belonged in the study because it was political in nature and not in The Firing Range. I failed to see, with the link you provided, the correlation between the two and thus moved the thread here where discussion can get a tad bit more in depth without having to lock a thread due to some heated bantering back and forth before all the pertinent information and opinions can be rendered in a respectful, albeit sometimes, stronger way.

Just like myself, with my thread on the Boxing Day shootings, I did not provide enough information to allow posters to understand where I was coming from and where I would like to see the thread go.

Just a few of my thoughts.

Lisa

Is the motivation for posting this topic then a hatred and fear of guns? Anyone familiar with hunting will tell you that it's much more likely you'll experience an accidental shooting when hunting in a group of hunters because, well, there are other people on hand to shoot. When you're hunting alone, it's much less likely you'll hit someone else because there isn't anyone to hit, unless you stumble across someone else at random.

One of the cardinal rules of shooting is to be sure of your target and what is beyond it. Any sporting activity carries with it a certain assumption of risk, however, and any sporting activity involving projectiles most definitely carries risk. There is nothing any more or less horrible about an accident while hunting (a shotgun pellet to the face) than an accident while fishing (a hook in the eye) or an accident while playing paintball (a paintball in the eye) or an accident whiel skiing (a tree branch in the eye, following a collision with said tree). All of these accidents could result in one of the most serious consequences any of us can face: blindness. All of these accidents become much less likely if we follow certain safety precautions -- but they do not become impossible.