Post academy h2h training

Not to get into a large flame war, and I defenitly want this to stay away from a "cop bashing" thread as well.

I understand the value and the importance of Defensive Tactics Training. I am certified to instruct the PPCT amongst many other courses as taught at the ILEA PST under Doc Paul Whitesell.

Nonetheless, I just feel that as an officer it is not only their duty, but should be a necessity to have the drive, and desire to want to explore a method of tactics outside the given area of LEO PPCT and or Madanock (that some depts teach) system. But again I fall back into my favorite saying of: " To EACH THIER OWN "

And yes Sgtmac, I think that was awesome of the Chief to extend this invitation to his staff.. It's a shame none of them took the time not even to come and watch or see GM. Let alone partake in it.. BUT TO EACH HIS OWN....

Gotta run headed to Spartansburg SC here in a few...

Oh you'll get no dispute from me.....PPCT and the basic Monodnock/Asp courses are entry level training programs designed to teach folks who have ZERO skill-sets to fall back on enough to fill the gap until they have enough time to develop better skills. They are quick fixes, and should not be considered an end to training.

I've actually finally talked some of the new guys at my department in to going to the gym to work on some skills once or twice a week. Last night was our first night and only one showed up (i've got three more who should be at the next one).

I started him working some boxing movement drills, some basic punches, I got him working on some Judo break-falls to learn how to hit the ground in a control manner, we hit the contact pads and the speed bag. Next week i'm going to start them rolling around on the ground with some drills designed to help them maintain position and control in a ground struggle. All the things they either didn't teach in the academy, or covered in the most basic and cursory ways due to time constraints.

As I told my guy last night, one of the most important things he's going to learn is how to move an how to fall without getting injured. I also said we'd work a lot on boxing/muay thai related movement drills and sparring so they'd get used to what it's like for someone to throw punches at them. They'll get used to hitting and taken a hit. I told him that learning to punch and spar is useful even if they never actually throw a punch on the street, because folks throw punches on the street.....you get used to sparring, you can see a punch coming without being surprised, and no how to move to avoid it.

He kind of blinked when I told him to bring back a mouth piece next week.....he said they didn't need one in the academy.....I said they didn't spar and hit each other in the academy. ;)

Latest Discussions

Back