Pivot punch, in boxing

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I read on a couple of separate wikipedia pages that in boxing, pivot punches are, illegal, not allowed. The problem with that is that I don't know what a pivot punch is.
If someone can explain, or point to a video, thank you.

I swear, sometimes I think the rules of boxing were written to confuse anyone that wasn’t boxing full time.

You can look up the pivot step in boxing on YouTube. It’s pretty basic footwork.

The illegality concerned has to do with what part of the boxing glove makes contact with the opponent.

A Back-fist is illegal in boxing, yet the way Ali threw them was a thing of true beauty. I don’t actually remember if he was called or warned at anytime in his career, but he threw a ton of them.

When you use a pivot step - depending how your opponent responds, you may
be out of position with him closing in. You might throw out your hand to keep him away, like a sideways hammer fist. That’s what you’ll get warned or called for. (As a pivot punch)

Or if you, being out of position, threw your punch as a back fist. You might get called on it. Especially if you were a known Martial Artist that switched to boxing. Boxing officials hate those people.

the rules of boxing were written to confuse anyone that wasn’t boxing full time.
During the Karate no facial contact time frame, if you punch me, I turn my head around and bite my own lips, blood come out of my mouth, you may get dis-qualified.

In boxing, if you punch me, I turn my head. Your punch land on the back of my head, will you get warning too?

Quite interesting...
Back in the 70's was told by my teachers.
A lot of the punches used in the White Crane system were illegal in the Karate matches of the time,
due to the different angles and contact points of the punches...

1725838773648.png

Boxing may be considered to be limited by it's ruleset by some.

When the rules were modified, allowing others to use whatever method they practiced.
Those asking the rule sets to be modified, almost always ended up getting knockout or knocked down,,,

Working with boxers or those who boxed always a good experience...
Allowing one to understand what is and is not
real very quick...

Back in the day they had a minimum of 6 kicks... for the matches

Last edited:
During the Karate no facial contact time frame, if you punch me, I turn my head around and bite my own lips, blood come out of my mouth, you may get dis-qualified.

In boxing, if you punch me, I turn my head. Your punch land on the back of my head, will you get warning too?

I honestly have no idea. I guess it would depend on individual circumstance and the referee’s ability to recognize B.S.

I honestly have no idea. I guess it would depend on individual circumstance and the referee’s ability to recognize B.S.
Not if you are obviously turning your head to block punches.

In an ammy fight. The person turning their head would get a ten count.

Not if you are obviously turning your head to block punches.

In an ammy fight. The person turning their head would get a ten count.

If someone was turning their head to block punches with said head, that person would be an idiot.

If someone was turning their head to block punches with said head, that person would be an idiot.
Yeah.

Ufc had that issue for a bit when you couldn't head kick a guy who had his hand on the ground.

So a few tried to advance towards their opponents with their hand hovering an inch over the mat.

Eventually people just cracked the sads and kicked their heads off anyway.

Yeah.

Ufc had that issue for a bit when you couldn't head kick a guy who had his hand on the ground.

So a few tried to advance towards their opponents with their hand hovering an inch over the mat.

Eventually people just cracked the sads and kicked their heads off anyway.
All sport rule has hole in it. When you use "pull guard" on me, if I drop elbow on your throat (I have done this many times), who's fault is it?

All sport rule has hole in it. When you use "pull guard" on me, if I drop elbow on your throat (I have done this many times), who's fault is it?

You did that in a sporting contest? Nah, that can’t be what you mean.

IMO: Using "holes" in the rules to gain an advantage or outright using fraud to win instead of skill is dishonorable. You see such things in pro and college sports because skill is being used, not for technique, but to circumvent the rules and not get caught. This is seen in boxing when an elbow or head butt sneaks in when the ref has no line of sight, or in football where the player tries to hide illegal holding. This is not the correct application of skill yet is encouraged by coaches and allowed by some judges. Such is often the current sport environment, including some TMA becoming sport. This evolution warps its essence.

When winning overrides morality it is not true TMA. One of the reasons I do not consider sport MA as true TMA. Winning should be the result or byproduct, not the goal. This is why some of the great masters said, "Don't try to win, try to not lose." This puts the emphasis on the process rather than the end result. If the process is well executed, winning will come naturally. Perhaps a naive and outdated view.

Last edited:
You did that in a sporting contest? Nah, that can’t be what you mean.
In Chinese wrestling, the "pull guard" is illegal move. Most of the time it can end with a fist fight afterward. I did that to my opponent to indicate if he uses illegal move on me, I can counter with illegal move too.

I did that to someone by accident (I didn't release my grips when I fall, but my opponent though I used "pull guard" on him). My opponent dropped his elbow straight down on top of my heart. I was almost killed that day.

IMO: Using "holes" in the rules to gain an advantage or outright using fraud to win instead of skill is dishonorable. You see such things in pro and college sports because skill is being used, not for technique, but to circumvent the rules and not get caught. This is seen in boxing when an elbow or head butt sneaks in when the ref has no line of sight, or in football where the player tries to hide illegal holding. This is not the correct application of skill yet is encouraged by coaches and allowed by some judges. Such is often the current sport environment, including some TMA becoming sport. This evolution warps its essence.

When winning overrides morality it is not true TMA. One of the reasons I do not consider sport MA as true TMA. Winning should be the result or byproduct, not the goal. This is why some of the great masters said, "Don't try to win, try to not lose." This puts the emphasis on the process rather than the end result. If the process is well executed, winning will come naturally. Perhaps a naive and outdated view.

I could carve that post in stone.

IMO: Using "holes" in the rules to gain an advantage or outright using fraud to win instead of skill is dishonorable.
If you watch this short clip, will you be able to tell whether he smashed on top of his opponent on purpose, or he just lose balance himself?

- In Judo tournament, it may sound like he throws his opponent and then follows with a ground control.
- In Chinese wrestling tournament, it may sound like his lose his own balance during his throw, or he does that on purpose to hurt his opponent.

Back