Pet reactions to you and being sick/ injured

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just thought of this, because thursday night I had the pleasure of twisting my knee in class. I just want to see if there is anyone else out there with similar observances.

Today, I came back to my parents house to visit, and my dog loves following me around wherever I go. Somehow she knows when someone's sick or injured. So today, I get up to go do something, and she's lying in the doorway as I'm hobbling as fast as I can. Before I get very close, she moves as fast as she can out of my way. Keep in mind, my dog is VERY stubborn- she won't move unless you practically yell at her to, or push her (I swear- she's like a cat stuck in a dog's body sometimes). Anyone else have an animal that acts strangely when you're sick/ injured?

Yep...I have three dogs that act strange :)

They are very loving when I am unwell, and not just physically, when I am feeling down they will give me extra cuddles!

Funny you bring this up just now. I just re-injured a bad knee and my puppy has been very gentle...he is usually quite hyper. Same as when my dad was dying, somehow he just new "mom" was sad. He was extra cuddly.

I think they can sense how we feel in a rudimentary doglike fashion.

My cats couldn't care less.:rolleyes:

My cats know when I'm feeling down or upset. Miles (who normally isn't the snuggly type, except when it's cold) would curl up on my chest while Sarah sits on my legs, as I lie down on the couch. I had a REALLY bad day last week; both cats followed me around and jumped on me as soon as I sat down on the couch.

My cats are the same, days when I don't feel like I can make it out of bed they'll wind around me and curl into my arms, when I'm sick they'll lay on the couch with me (and not even meow for dinner :O)
Interesting how animals work....
Aqua

I think they can tell. Shortly after I got my dog, when he was about 3 months old and maybe 10 or 12 pounds, I caught the flu (in the middle of the summer, of course), and my then-very hyper puppy crawled up on the couch with me cuddled up next to me, and licked my hand until I fell asleep.

When I sprained my knee last March, he stopped running past me down the basement stairs (he's kind of dangerous that way - especially now that he weighs nearly 80 pounds), and walked slowly behind me instead. He also quit pulling on his leash when I walked him - I really wish that one had stuck with him!

Here's my baby, still thinking he's a lap dog:

Sable001.jpg

The dog is sympatheetic when my wife or kids are feeling ill or she thinks they're in danger--she barks constantly when they swim, esp. if they go udner water--but is less concerned about me.

When I had my dog he always knew if one of us was sicrk o injured and would either be by our side all of the time or stay out of the way so he didnt injure us.
With my cat it is harder to tell because she is with me most of the time Im at home

Kacey said:
I think they can tell. Shortly after I got my dog, when he was about 3 months old and maybe 10 or 12 pounds, I caught the flu (in the middle of the summer, of course), and my then-very hyper puppy crawled up on the couch with me cuddled up next to me, and licked my hand until I fell asleep.

When I sprained my knee last March, he stopped running past me down the basement stairs (he's kind of dangerous that way - especially now that he weighs nearly 80 pounds), and walked slowly behind me instead. He also quit pulling on his leash when I walked him - I really wish that one had stuck with him!

Here's my baby, still thinking he's a lap dog:

Sable001.jpg

Aw...cute puppy. I don't think I posted pics of my cats yet, so...

This is Sarah:

attachment.php

And her much larger son, Miles:

attachment.php

They are blue-point Siamese.

Edited to add: Why aren't the pics showing up? Oh well...just click on the links...

My Dogs are cute but stupid. In fact, I think that they have an awareness when I feel badly, because they get more obnoxious and about 10% dumber when I am sick/hurt... but I can't hold it against them because the moron one is too cute, and the smart one of the two is cuddly.

Yeah, I said Cuddly. Shut up, even *I* have a soft side ONCE in a while.

dogs.jpg

I have a JACK RUSSEL TERRIER and when ever sombody is sick she will not leave the person alone. she is very sweet and tries to make you feel better

I have had three poodles who always were there with me if not on top of me.
When I cried though, each one always came, was in my face and wanted to lick and wipe up my tears. Yeah, I definitely think they know. When I was sick, I could depend that they would stay in bed all day too touching somewhere on me for contact. So my husband would have to pick them off the bed and put them in front of the dish to eat.

My two new ones, a white mama poodle and her black pup are both my shadows now. Each dog has quirks though and the black pup likes to curl up on my chest togo to sleep. This could get to be a problem as he gains weight! TW

TigerWoman said:
My two new ones, a white mama poodle and her black pup are both my shadows now. Each dog has quirks though and the black pup likes to curl up on my chest togo to sleep. This could get to be a problem as he gains weight! TW

Especially if they are standard poodles! OUCH!

Probably his max weight will be around 8 lbs. He's a toy. ;) TW

I pretty much like any animal, especially the cute little ones. My parents dog (I also call mine) is a papillon.

I have a jack russel and she has to sleep right next to the person if not she will move until she is. it really stinks when it's hot and she is right next to you

Yep, my cat has been by my side while I have been sick. Cute little guy.

only for when i feel REALLY bad. i have my baby from the animal shelter, the pre-owner has shot himself, so she couldnt care less.. she was with the guy for four days and did not eat him! :D

she is a mixture, dobermann-rottweiler.. characterwise, she has the worst of both. probably the guy did it because of her. :D when bumping around with friends the little critter always goes after me.. :D but in a serious case i think i would not need any MA's when with her!

Latest Discussions

Back