On Wanting More

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm often told that people want more in their training. More techniques. More applications. More physicality. More promotions. More styles of martial arts.

I guess I understand it conceptually, but it's always been a bit difficult for me to identify with on a personal basis.

I don't want more. I want to keep doing what I am doing, for as long as I can do it. I don't feel like I need more or newer techniques. I don't want to be promoted. I don't want belts in different styles. I don't want to be "more well-rounded" (whatever that means).

I'm already fighting a losing battle against age and infirmity. It's all I can do to keep up with what I already learned, if that makes sense.

Being satisfied with where I am, being satisfied with the pace of my training, being content to remain on the path I currently follow, seems like quite enough for me.

"Where do you see yourself in five years," people ask. I dunno. I don't give it much thought. The same, only older, and maybe better at some of the things I already do now. I'd like not to go backwards too much, although some of that seems inevitable. I don't have any more mountains to climb and I'm totally OK with that.

And that's OK, I guess. I'd be happy just to get to your level and stay there too. Jesus tells us to be in the world but not of it, so I've cut training down to the minimum that will keep me relatively combat-ready. Enough is enough, but enough is also necessary.

In other words, you're content. There's nothing wrong with that.

If I become content, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. And this isn't just martial arts; this is life in general. There needs to be something for me to chase after.

And that's OK, I guess. I'd be happy just to get to your level and stay there too. Jesus tells us to be in the world but not of it, so I've cut training down to the minimum that will keep me relatively combat-ready. Enough is enough, but enough is also necessary.
I'm not at any exalted level. After 17 years of training, I'm a 3rd Dan in Isshinryu, and basically competent, but not much more. I'm a reasonably good teacher, and I suspect that I can defend myself if I must, but Rambo I am not. I learned more about fighting as a Marine, but that was 40 years ago, and it was mostly trial and error with drunks who liked to swing on guys wearing badges. Now I'm just old and broken and slow; being willing is about all I have left.

I'm not at any exalted level. After 17 years of training, I'm a 3rd Dan in Isshinryu, and basically competent, but not much more. I'm a reasonably good teacher, and I suspect that I can defend myself if I must, but Rambo I am not. I learned more about fighting as a Marine, but that was 40 years ago, and it was mostly trial and error with drunks who liked to swing on guys wearing badges. Now I'm just old and broken and slow; being willing is about all I have left.
Well, I'm just a lowly 2nd kyu. Being willing is something, I guess. Stuff like always getting your pads on quickly, volunteering when sensei asks (although I'm aware this is anathema to the military mind), sportsmanship basically.

Well, I'm just a lowly 2nd kyu. Being willing is something, I guess. Stuff like always getting your pads on quickly, volunteering when sensei asks (although I'm aware this is anathema to the military mind), sportsmanship basically.
Those are important things. I still answer my sensei with 'Yes sir' and 'No sir' out of respect. I help clean the dojo and empty the trash, etc. I try to instill respect by showing it.

At some point, you needed more, until you had enough. You found the right balance, and that worked for you. It's why I spent 10 years at 1st degree bb in kempo; there was enough information there for me to be satisfied.

But until you get to that point, you need more. And if you reached that point, and find yourself not content, that's a sign to either reflect, or just go with it and find something new to learn.

Some people, if they become great at tennis, will be content playing tennis twice a week for as long as their body lets them. Others, when they get to the point that they're not improving, feel a need to take up a new sport. Neither is right, or wrong.

At some point, you needed more, until you had enough. You found the right balance, and that worked for you. It's why I spent 10 years at 1st degree bb in kempo; there was enough information there for me to be satisfied.

But until you get to that point, you need more. And if you reached that point, and find yourself not content, that's a sign to either reflect, or just go with it and find something new to learn.

Some people, if they become great at tennis, will be content playing tennis twice a week for as long as their body lets them. Others, when they get to the point that they're not improving, feel a need to take up a new sport. Neither is right, or wrong.
Well, yes but no. I never wanted to get training in multiple systems. I never wanted to collect the belts or "be the best." I've never been driven to compete. When I have competed, it was without any real expectations, more of seeing what it was like.

I just don't seem to have that kind of drive. I'm content to train in the system I train in, and just let life unfold as it will. Kind of always been that way.

Well, yes but no. I never wanted to get training in multiple systems. I never wanted to collect the belts or "be the best." I've never been driven to compete. When I have competed, it was without any real expectations, more of seeing what it was like.

I just don't seem to have that kind of drive. I'm content to train in the system I train in, and just let life unfold as it will. Kind of always been that way.
When you started out, you never had a desire to learn anything in the system? Not even the first day, wanting to learn how to kick or punch, or your first form? That's what I'm referring to with "At some point, you needed more, until you had enough. You found the right balance, and that worked for you."

everyone is different. Some people are more competitive than others. Some are more curious. Some are particularly motivated… maybe they want to do something professionally, or something happened to them or someone else in their life.

I don’t think there’s any right or wrong here. Some people can eat the same thing for dinner every day of their life and take comfort in the routine. Other people cannot.

I would argue that contentment isn’t whether or not someone sticks with the same thing forever. Rather, it’s understanding and being comfortable with who you are. If you are a dabbler who gets bored doing the same thing every day, you will become content once you accept that and stop beating yourself up for not staying in the same school for 20 years.

Last edited:
When you started out, you never had a desire to learn anything in the system? Not even the first day, wanting to learn how to kick or punch, or your first form? That's what I'm referring to with "At some point, you needed more, until you had enough. You found the right balance, and that worked for you."
Yes, I wanted to learn Isshinryu. I meant I didn't feel a drive to learn more than was on offer.

everyone is different. Some people are more competitive than others. Some are more curious. Some are particularly motivated… maybe they want to do something professionally, or something happened to them or someone else in their life.
You may have hit on something there. I am currently under treatment for PTSD. Only through therapy have I come to realize that I'm a recluse as a result of my military trauma. You might say 'something happened'.
I don’t think there’s any right or wrong here. Some people can eat the same thing for dinner every day of their life and take comfort in the routine. Other people cannot.
I've eaten the same lunch for 30 years straight. Half a turkey and provolone sandwich and a bag of chips. I never get tired of it. Many have told me how boring my life is.
I would argue that contentment isn’t whether or not someone sticks with the same thing forever. Rather, it’s understanding and being comfortable with who you are. If you are a dabbler who gets bored doing the same thing every day, you will become content once you accept that and stop meeting yourself up for not staying in the same school for 20 years.
Fair statements.

Wanting more for me means upping my training and sometimes I don't want to be more intense with the training. I can train like a non-professional athlete or I can train like a pro who gets paid to train. I don't get paid to train and that's not my goal so I'm happy to strike a healthy balance. For those who want to do more, all I can tell them is to implement some traditional training. That stuff never gets easy.

I come to realize that I'm a recluse
If you weren't you'd be out and about, too busy to be posting thus depriving us of your awesomeness.
Half a turkey and provolone sandwich and a bag of chips.
With lettuce, tomato, mayo and a touch of mustard? Yum. One of my favorites. Now I have to go shopping and buy some sliced turkey and provolone for tomorrow's lunch.

I never wanted more martial arts, more techniques, more this or more that, I just wanted to train Martial Arts.

The only reason I went to other dojos was because our building was purchased and we were evicted. Or when somebody I met invited me to theirs. And there were a whole lot of them. It was great fun and I learned a lot.

Never cared about belts. I refused all Dan promotions from 1988 until the 2010s.
I know some may say that’s disrespectful but it wasn’t to me, or more importantly, to my teachers. I won’t take any more rank increases to this day. So now they get you another way, “Lifetime Achievement Awards.”

At least they usually come with dinner.

Some are more curious.
I may belong to that category. If I find someone has some excellent skill, I want to have that skill too.

One day I sparred with a WC guy. I punched at him. He extended his Tang Shou to block my punch. I felt my punching momentum was slow down by the friction of 2 arms contact. Since my long fist system doesn't have Tang Shou, I decide to cross train the WC system.

Last edited:
My big transition was different, I read Rory Miller's "Meditations on Violence" and lost most of my "yee haa" for new techniques, new weapons, and more stripes on my black belt. I'm still in transition, trying to figure out what best works for my old body and the environment I'm in. That means I want "more", since I'm learning Systema for the health and self-defense benefits. I'm also learning Wing Chun since my back is crankier than my mouth and doing those high TKD kicks just doesn't cut it any more.

I want more because I need new things for my age, for improved healing, and for actual self-defense. It's less about accumulation and more about letting go of what I was and finding who I can be.

When you are young, you are in study/develop mode. When you get old, you are in creative mode.

Before you start to create, you need to know what are out there. You need to do a "survey study" first (you don't want to re-do other's work). If you take this research path, study more is a must.

Latest Discussions

Back