OK, THAT Hurts

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Frank Trejo is in town for a seminar this weekend. We were sparring tonight and I was doing pretty OK. I was sparring one of the Black Belts (Hands ONLY) and had managed to get him bent over in front (facing) of me. I rained blows on his back (Light to medium, we use control...) and had him pretty well stuck in the position he was in.
So, he did the one thing he could, at that point, to make me back off really quickly...

He punched me.
On the instep of my left foot.
OH HOLY CRAP! that hurts!!!

Anyone else taken a hit, they wouldn't have expected to hurt?
7 hours later it is still sore. The shots I took to the head aren't, none of the body blows stayed with me, but, that damn foot shot HURTS.

I can attest that shots to the foot hurt alot. We allow foot stomping when sparring and yes when you are clinching and have your foot stomped on it can really hurt. (really hurt)

it takes too much speed & accuracy to be a "go-to" move, but punching someone in the back of the hand really hurts if you get the knuckles to dig in right.

jf

Anyone else taken a hit, they wouldn't have expected to hurt?

A light one knuckle tape to the forehead by Pan Qing Fu. That hurt a lot more than it should have, it was not excruciating and not as hard as a soccer ball hit but it hurt a lot more and it went deep.

A light grab to my elbow by Yang Jwing Ming during push hands droped me and that certainly was not expected. But then I told my wife about that and she did the same thing to me and being a glutton for punishment I went and told my Yang sifu about it and he did the same thing to me.

A light one knuckle tape to the forehead by Pan Qing Fu. That hurt a lot more than it should have, it was not excruciating and not as hard as a soccer ball hit but it hurt a lot more and it went deep.

A light grab to my elbow by Yang Jwing Ming during push hands droped me and that certainly was not expected. But then I told my wife about that and she did the same thing to me and being a glutton for punishment I went and told my Yang sifu about it and he did the same thing to me.

Dr. Yang is amazing , and I can only imagine what kind of damage he could really do if he set his mind to it :p

I was playing around once with a friend who had no martial arts training and when I threw a kick he punched me in the thigh! I was limping for a few days. :)

The most disproportionate amount of pain to injury I've ever had training was due to wicked block that one of the instructors I trained with landed on me. I had thrown a hook kick( a really nice one, which for me is odd as I don't kick a lot in sparring). So my heel is whipping at his temple rather fast when he threw a high outward block. His outer forearm , specifically the nice hard chunk of bone just below the wrist, smashed into my achillies (sp?) tendon.
It was remarkable painful and continued to be for quite a bit after.

Mark

Blocks can often be very painfil shihan. Whenever doing our forms we are always made to block properly and spin the arm like when you snap the fist around for a punch. It can really generate some force against the attackers limb.

The most disproportionate amount of pain to injury I've ever had training was due to wicked block that one of the instructors I trained with landed on me. I had thrown a hook kick( a really nice one, which for me is odd as I don't kick a lot in sparring). So my heel is whipping at his temple rather fast when he threw a high outward block. His outer forearm , specifically the nice hard chunk of bone just below the wrist, smashed into my achillies (sp?) tendon.
It was remarkable painful and continued to be for quite a bit after.

Mark

I remember a somewhat similar situation. We were doing front (toe) kicks in line, and my instructor came up and blocked one with his forearm. Not sure it it was his iron arm or just a bad angle, but the top of my foot hurt for about a week.

Yep the nerve in the top of the foot is sensitive giving there really is nothing there to protect it. If you look into accupressure at all you will find that the nerve point in between the big toe and the second toe where the bones meet is one of the pressure points that is worked to help cure headaches and migraines. So think about the affectivness of an actual strike or stomp when someone skilled would hit being real serious.

Blocks can often be very painfil shihan. Whenever doing our forms we are always made to block properly and spin the arm like when you snap the fist around for a punch. It can really generate some force against the attackers limb.

We have always been told that a good block is meant to smash the incoming attack. It isn't enough to just place the block, but it must be done with force and snap.

We have always been told that a good block is meant to smash the incoming attack. It isn't enough to just place the block, but it must be done with force and snap.
Good point! People who had trained with Chibana Sensei said that even though he was not a large man at all his blocks though done with more of soft style were extremely powerful able to knock large men off balance with just the block with little to no effort. Thats true karate in my opinion, when someone can execute to that level even at an advanced age as Chibana Sensei did according to people who saw it personally.

One of the many great things I've learned from studying kenpo that I did not learn from other arts I studied is that there are many great targets on the human body other than just the head and torso. LOL

Latest Discussions

Back