NHB fighter dies in Dayton Ohio

still learning said:
Hello, NHB is a place to prove yourself in your fighting skills, people will die if you get hit in the right place and often.
I've never seen someone die from getting hit in an NHB match. Usually they get knocked out, then it's over.

Another benefit of NHB over boxing is the lack of a standing 8 count or a 10 count. The first time you go down and can't mount a defense, the match is over. In boxing, you may go down many more times, but come back for more "punishment."

In point karate, I really doubt there are many knockouts. And if there are, well.... there just shouldn't be. It's not full-contact, and if you can't take a semi-contact kick.... jebus.

According to our local paper this was a TOUGHMAN COMPETITION not NHB. The ref's need better training in TMC. I've heard of several other toughman deaths. It turns out that it is bad for your brain to be struck repeatedly. It's worse if you have inadequate training, poor evasion skills, fewer partially slipped punches and weaker neck muscles to allow your head to snaparound faster with quicker acceleration and decelleration.
Jeff

Oops, clapping tiger has already spanked the correct.

With all this information out there and readily available, how come MMA is still yet bombarded by misinformation?

Kenpodoc said:
According to our local paper this was a TOUGHMAN COMPETITION not NHB. The ref's need better training in TMC. I've heard of several other toughman deaths. It turns out that it is bad for your brain to be struck repeatedly. It's worse if you have inadequate training, poor evasion skills, fewer partially slipped punches and weaker neck muscles to allow your head to snaparound faster with quicker acceleration and decelleration.
Jeff

My fault for hitting the "post" button before I read through the thread. NHB or better yet MMA (since it really is not No Holds Barred) is one of my favorite sporting events and I am usually too quick to come to it's defense. I would just hate to see it get banned or something over misinformation. Still, you are right about the TMC, ref's need better training, as do the corner men they provide. The ones I have seen, the competition provides the corner men and you cannot have your own. Good Post.

SammyB57 said:
With all this information out there and readily available, how come MMA is still yet bombarded by misinformation?
My theory; MMA is viewed on PPV(you don't get a wide audience this way), the general public's opinion is still based on what they saw, or read about in the early day's of the UFC. Back when they billed the fights as Brutal, bloody, and as real as it gets. This has kept some away and most never to come back. I am hoping that the reality show the Ultimate Fighter helps bring more fans into the sport.

Toughman Competitions, let contests in the ring after drinking alcohol. They also allow mis-matches of fighters. Wasn't last year in Tampa, that they allowed a women in her 40's to fight a girl that had several fights under belt. The one lady was out of shape and ended up dying inthe ring. I believe she had couple of young childern, that seen her die. Toughman doesn't give a crap about the fighters. Just how much money they can make. NHB is much safer then boxing and Toughman contest. Still someone could get seriously hurt in NHB fighting. But that is the chances you take. You could get hurt playing football to.

I think the view that traditional martial arts have relevance because they were forged in the days when fights were to the death, cannot be held at the same time as the view that deaths in NHB or similar matches are pointless and brutal.

If danger forges the art then the attitude of sports fighters who go into a ring resolote against death is a martial attitude. It is not mystical but a real resoluteness. It should be commended.

The skills I learned in traditional Kung Fu really began to have meaning once I began sports arts - Judo and Boxing. I risk injury and have suffered injury. This has sharpened my perception and deepened my understanding of core traditional principles.

Risk of death - although it should be reduced where reasonable - should not be decried in the martial arts or any other endevour which builds the spirit. I'd rather die after 5 years of a full life, than live my next 50 years in front of the TV.

Bod said:
I think the view that traditional martial arts have relevance because they were forged in the days when fights were to the death, cannot be held at the same time as the view that deaths in NHB or similar matches are pointless and brutal.

If danger forges the art then the attitude of sports fighters who go into a ring resolote against death is a martial attitude. It is not mystical but a real resoluteness. It should be commended.

The skills I learned in traditional Kung Fu really began to have meaning once I began sports arts - Judo and Boxing. I risk injury and have suffered injury. This has sharpened my perception and deepened my understanding of core traditional principles.

Risk of death - although it should be reduced where reasonable - should not be decried in the martial arts or any other endevour which builds the spirit. I'd rather die after 5 years of a full life, than live my next 50 years in front of the TV.
Going drunk into a poorly refereed match has nothing to do with living a full life. It's just a way to make some minor wiseguy some more cash. Testing yourself in a NHB fight is admirable but the risk of death should be near zero with a good referree and a reliable corner. People are hard to kill so these reported deaths usually involve continued trauma long after the loser has clearly lost. High risk of death should be decried because the participants can successfully test each other in much safer situations. The key to a full life is calculated risks.

I have several patients who I care for living prolonged lives after severe injuries suffered in reckless youth. (Quadraplegia, Paraplegia, Hemiparesis after head injury, organic Dementia after brain injury.) None of them look back on their reckless choices and say if given a chance that they would change nothing. Live a full life, take calculated risks, play hard but it is inexcusable for promoters to make money while failing to protect their fighters.

Jeff

Reactions: Bod
I've never heard of a death in K-1. In Muay Thai, on the other hand, there have been a few deaths (and I'm talking about after they adopted using boxing gloves).

tough man competitions are between unskilled, untrained bruisers. It is distinctly different from mma or nhb. There is no comparison between the two. There have been a number of toughman deaths over the years. basically any barroom brawler who thinks he's bad can show up on fight night and sign up to fight. Again, this is not nhb.

Soon as I find the artical I will pass it on. but as I watched the news today they talked about NHB fighter died last night after fighting three rounds. they said he took a blow to the head and never recovered. They said after three rounds of fighting and being hit several times in the head his body shut down. Now my question. what do martial arts think about NHB fighting. I don't like it. I think it dose not represent the martial arts at all. I can fight for hours and control every punch and every kick, I know my distance and how far to go in with my opponit. I think these guys lack control and disipline that the martial arts holds and values. I also think that if "we" (martial arts) don't start joining to gether we are in for some tuff times ahead. I think people think NHB fighting is Martial arts and stories like this will lead to goverments sactioning our tournaments. My thoughts. whats yours?

There's always going to be an amount of risk once you start throwing punches etc at someone while they're also going all out. I think that it's no more shocking than boxing or any other contact sport.

Heck, there's even that potential in a light contact sparring situation. The likelyhood's lower, but the potential's still there.

Back