Meditation

S

Sandor

Perhaps this should be a poll instead of a thread but I'll ask anyway.

How many of you regularly practice some form of meditation?

If you do, when did you get started and what was the motivating factor that lead you to it?

If you don't; why not?

Thanks in advance :asian:

Peace,
Sandor

I don't practice Meditation because I have not been taught how to do it

But no longer as a lengthy part of class.

Zen meditation was required in Chinese Kenpo - My instructor kept us in Za-Zen 10 -20 minutes. It was formally taught.

Moved to EPAK in 1986-87 and did the standing meditating horse. More of a "Clearing and Centering" than formal meditation. Although it could be taught as meditation, I use it as a time to clear the mind, settle the body and mind, and refocus on being "here" and "now", if that makes sense.

Michael
Kenpo-Texas.com

I meditate when i feel i need to. It does not happen too often though.

I started enjoying its benefits a few years ago.

It clears my mind and leaves me feeling relaxed. i try to remember the feeling and use it when im in a situation where i think could use some calm focus.

There are differing opinions on what meditation is and different techiques of meditation. :asian:

I learned meditation through researching it, trial and error. I do deep meditation when I actually have time to do it properly ( full time job, 5 kids, martial arts). Not a lot of time. I do, however, take about 5 or 10 minutes before each training session to sit, breathe and clear my mind of everything except what I am about to do.

respectfully,
theletch1:asian:

I learned Chigung as part of my tai chi training. I used to do it 5 or 6 days a week, I don't so much anymore because of laziness.

Chigong is a crucial part of my daily training.

This is one topic that I realy feel important to discuss. First of all, I do a form of meditation, however, not as part of my martial arts training. I use it for powerlifting. I quiet myself inside and out, and go through the lift, be it bench press, squat or deadlift. I go through the lift start to finish in my head and replay it over and over a few times. Then immediately attempt the lift. At that precise moment, there is nothing else in the world that matters. Nothing can distract me when I am in that zone. It is a great experience, and is a great tool as I have broken many of my personal bests since starting this type of mediataion.

In regards to kenpo, I have never made the correlation between meditation and self defense. I understand and believe that relaxation at the moment of truth is best but have never experienced it. When it is time to rock, I get amped, the adrenaline flows, and also, nothing else matters at that time, but eliminating the threat. Also, along the same lines, I study and train for self defense, NOT sport competition or any other reason many others credit for their motivation in studying kenpo. I want to totally dessimate any threat to me or my family, period. Meditation has never entered into the equation at least for me.
I have never been very successful in tournament situations, dating back to the time I was a kid. I have been disqualified from more matches then I have finished. I take it personal when I get hit, or threatened. I can not see it as sport. My flaw, my ???? immaturity????, an extra Y chromosome, call it what you will, but I have tried to be a sportsman about it, but have had no success at doing so. So, I dont compete at tournaments any longer.

Just my $0.02
Gary Catherman

I find it helps focus on what you are learning or beginnning to train, Have you actually tried clearing your mind of all other things before doing your forms? That is a form of meditation. The form itself can even become a form of solitude and private thought forgetting about all else.

Originally posted by theletch1
I learned meditation through researching it, trial and error. I do deep meditation when I actually have time to do it properly ( full time job, 5 kids, martial arts). Not a lot of time. I do, however, take about 5 or 10 minutes before each training session to sit, breathe and clear my mind of everything except what I am about to do.

respectfully,
theletch1:asian:

I hear ya!! Empty your cup before any training session I say, otherwise you are not only wasting your time but the time of your instructor as well!:asian:

I have not been sucessful at quiet, scheduled meditation, but I do have a tai chi form I do and focus on my breathing. It has a calming effect- I used to do this before tests, now I can call on it at will. I don't meditate before class, it isn't practiced in my school, but a couple of the BB students who have studied elsewhere do meditate regularly. No big deal, they go off in a corner and kneel there doing their thing.

I practiced Qigong 20-30 mins (from Chen Taichi) when I felt my mind was all over the place (which was most of the time :) - getting energy from the ground & universe. These days however I'm just so preoccupied with life and don't get much done.

-LATER-

we do about 10 mins. of meditation before each class.
its really more like clearing the mind and preparing for class,
a quite time if you will.
most time i 'm thinking of my techs. or what went on at work,
occasionally i actually get in focus . I notice those classes seem to go better.
once i even fell asleep now that was an awakening!

Latest Discussions

Back