Martial arts pants dilemma

LargeMarge

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi
I need some advice on how to alter my martial arts pants. I have no problem with altering the length, however I’m noticing my pants are not allowing me to kick as high. I have to hike them up at the groin area to kick at my normal height. I’m competing internationally for the first time this coming week and I wanna make sure that I’m at my very best.

The gi is Century brand, size 5

Hi
I need some advice on how to alter my martial arts pants. I have no problem with altering the length, however I’m noticing my pants are not allowing me to kick as high. I have to hike them up at the groin area to kick at my normal height. I’m competing internationally for the first time this coming week and I wanna make sure that I’m at my very best.

The gi is Century brand, size 5
Just like you can't lengthen your pants, you can't widen them either.

Buy a new gi. The cheapest brand you're going to get with a fit that can be described as "baggy" (without a crotch that hangs too low) and that will get to you in time for your tournament is Mugen: Mugen Karate Uniform sets :: 2. Mugen Karate Gi :: KI International Corporation

Last edited:
I have to hike them up at the groin area to kick at my normal height.
So, there you go?

I do this as well, I do not like pant crotch hanging low like skater pants, regardless of how baggy they would be.

To prevent them from falling lower during fighting I Make sure to tighten them well in the waist, but not too tight. If the tightening area becomes too high du to misfit, I roll the pant edge once. My gi pants was originally a size to large, but I washed them in 90C and it shrinked them to better fit - this was the advice I got from my instructors as well.

Just like you can't lengthen your pants, you can't widen them either.

Buy a new gi. The cheapest brand you're going to get with a fit that can be described as "baggy" (without a crotch that hangs too low) and that will get to you in time for your tournament is Mugen: Mugen Karate Uniform sets :: 2. Mugen Karate Gi :: KI International Corporation
I wish it was a simple as that, however, the uniform has been specially embroidered for the competition, and I won’t have time to get it redone before leaving.

im a size 5 or 4 pants and work perfect for me and if you dont like your GI or pants you should order your Gi at ASE Martial arts supply that were my sifu and his wife order our Martial Arts Stuff

I wish it was a simple as that, however, the uniform has been specially embroidered for the competition, and I won’t have time to get it redone before leaving.
So you're gonna have to deal this time around. Or maybe get suspenders to wear under your gi top (as a temporary Band-Aid for the tournament, of course).

But since you've got time now, if you're willing to spend the extra cash, Tokyodo International (NOT Tokyodo USA - different company) and Shureido have an even baggier fit in the pants than Mugen (Mugen still has the baggier top).

Tokyodo costs less than Shureido, and will even hem your pants and sleeves for FREE. Because of this, Tokyodo can come out to costing even less than Mugen (unless you don't mind the cheap one-stitch hem). I own two Tokyodo K-10's, and will never switch to another brand.

Last edited:
The only good thing about this thread is that the poster will be competing next week, after which time his dilemma (and this thread) will become moot. Hopefully he will survive this crisis of not having an embroidered gi to compete in and will still be able to persevere with whatever kind of fashion-oriented MA competition he's into. I wish him the best.

The only good thing about this thread is that the poster will be competing next week, after which time his dilemma (and this thread) will become moot. Hopefully he will survive this crisis of not having an embroidered gi to compete in and will still be able to persevere with whatever kind of fashion-oriented MA competition he's into. I wish him the best.
I know of competitions that require certain patches, or WKF/WUKO approved gis. Never heard of one that required specific embroidery.

I know of competitions that require certain patches, or WKF/WUKO approved gis. Never heard of one that required specific embroidery.
A sad commentary on modern sport karate, IMO. Now, in addition to dealing with the refs, one has to put up with karate fashion police? In my very long TMA career, I've only had one gi with embroidery (I spent $26 to get done) and that was just the name of my style. It promptly got torn and bloodied so bad it had to be trashed :arghh:. I am happy to report that I survived this catastrophe and continue to practice my art, sans embroidery.

I imagine that decorative embroidery is the norm (along with sequins) in entertainment MA competitions. Nothing I am remotely interested in.

Last edited:
A sad commentary on modern sport karate, IMO. Now, in addition to dealing with the refs, one has to put up with karate fashion police? In my very long TMA career, I've only had one gi with embroidery (I spent $26 to get done) and that was just the name of my style. It promptly got torn and bloodied so bad it had to be trashed :arghh:. I am happy to report that I survived this catastrophe and continue to practice my art, sans embroidery.

I imagine that decorative embroidery is the norm (along with sequins) in entertainment MA competitions. Nothing I am remotely interested in.
Won't help with torn, but I can assure you that a soak in peroxide will remove blood from most anything.

Latest Discussions

Back