Man hits teacher's aide?

I understand the father's actions, but they were rash. However, if this man did, in fact, commit this crime, i'm not really extremely inclined to defend him. If the man is guilty of molestation, I doubt very seriously the prosecutor's office is going to persue charges against the father....at least not if he wants to get reelected (That's what we mean by community standards).

At any rate, I wouldn't have responded in the same manner as this father, meaning walking in to a classroom full of kids and picking a fight with this guy. It accomplishes nothing. I'd like to think i'd try and give the justice system a chance to work.

If the justice system didn't work, what might happen later on a lonely darkened parking lot on some future night, well, that's a different story.....random crimes by 'unknown' assailants do occur all the time.
icon12.gif

sgtmac_46 said:
At any rate, I wouldn't have responded in the same manner as this father, meaning walking in to a classroom full of kids and picking a fight with this guy. It accomplishes nothing. I'd like to think i'd try and give the justice system a chance to work.

If the justice system didn't work, what might happen later on a lonely darkened parking lot on some future night, well, that's a different story.....random crimes by 'unknown' assailants do occur all the time.
icon12.gif

My thoughts exactly.

Vic
www.combatartsusa.com

Someone must have took issue with my statement. I got a negative post rating, though i'm not exactly sure what the issue was. The negative rating was neither signed nor accompanied with a comment.

At any rate, regardless of who is offended, the above pretty much sums up my personal views. If honesty gets me a negative rating, so be it.
icon10.gif

Actually, I got two positive ratings and a negative on the same post, so apparently 2 out of 3 people agree.

Sounds like most of you have all ready decided what happened whithout having all the facts. I'm not really criticizing anyone; it's human nature to "fill in the blanks" based on personal experiences.

The article offered no proof either way. On the one hand, it is documented that some minors are abused and it never comes to light. On the other, it is also documented that some adults lives and careers have been adversley affected by false accusations.

The system is far from being perfect, but I'll reserve my judgement until more information comes to light instead of jumping to conclusions.

celtic_crippler said:
Sounds like most of you have all ready decided what happened whithout having all the facts. I'm not really criticizing anyone; it's human nature to "fill in the blanks" based on personal experiences.

The article offered no proof either way. On the one hand, it is documented that some minors are abused and it never comes to light. On the other, it is also documented that some adults lives and careers have been adversley affected by false accusations.

The system is far from being perfect, but I'll reserve my judgement until more information comes to light instead of jumping to conclusions.
In point of fact, I reserve judgement. People do lie about being sexually assaulted. Of course, sometimes men do sexually assault young girls as well. My statement was based on an 'If/Then' qualification.

IF he did it then castrate him with a brick. If not, she and her father should get no less a just and severe punishment.

Ceicei said:
New story related to this came out. Basically, the girl lied....

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635179787,00.html

Since the article didn't say very much, does anyone else have more to clarify what actually happened?

- Ceicei
I think the common belief that a young girl would never lie about something like this is what gets us into trouble. Even now the teacher's aid will be branded with this the rest of his life and will be looked upon with suspicion.
Sean

The biggest problem in my eyes is that this just raises the "crying wolf" limit and gives everyone a bit more doubt in their minds the next time they hear someone make these claims.

Touch Of Death said:
I think the common belief that a young girl would never lie about something like this is what gets us into trouble. Even now the teacher's aid will be branded with this the rest of his life and will be looked upon with suspicion.
Sean

Not necessarily so anymore, IMO. Things have changed on both ends; more understanding and sympathy for victims, more sympathy and understanding for those found to have been falsely accused. The really sad thing is that if this young woman is ever truly abused, her testimony will be compromised and a real perpetrator may walk.

It seems contradictory, but I think two assumptions should be made in cases of allegations of abuse: first, the person claiming abuse must be initially believed and protected, secondly the accused MUST be considered innocent until proven guilty. These two assumptions seem contradictory, but they protect both parties, IMO.

bignick said:
The biggest problem in my eyes is that this just raises the "crying wolf" limit and gives everyone a bit more doubt in their minds the next time they hear someone make these claims.
People that cry wolf aren't thinking about anyone but themsleves and the damage they can cause. They have already accepted the role of victim and like it just fine. Its all justified.
Sean

Touch Of Death said:
Sean
As I pointed out earlier, young girls do lie....of course men also molest young girls, so it's always a question to be sorted out. Which occurs more often? That's a real question in itself.

bignick said:

That's a problem...another problem is that an innocent person who is spending his life trying to teach children got punched in the mouth for it.

Now this is certiainly interesting.

School surveillance cameras show the aide was not even in the room when the 15-year-old said she was touched inappropriately, said Lakewood Ranch High School Superintendent Roger Dearing.

Two articles on the same subject, yet this is the first time I've heard this comment. Just proves how important it is to not jump to conclusions and make sure that all of the facts are present.

Mike

MJS said:
Now this is certiainly interesting.

Two articles on the same subject, yet this is the first time I've heard this comment. Just proves how important it is to not jump to conclusions and make sure that all of the facts are present.

Mike

Exactly. Well said. Look how many people posted that we should hang this guy prior to the new posting stating the girl lied. How often do you think jurors in trials enter the courtroom with preconcieved notions of guilt or innocence? Scary thought. Any of you that are instructors are at just as much risk as this school teacher was. Can you imagine how an unsubstantial claim like this could affect a school owner? -shudders-

Ceicei said:
New story related to this came out. Basically, the girl lied....

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635179787,00.html

Since the article didn't say very much, does anyone else have more to clarify what actually happened?

- Ceicei

That's just incomprehensible to me. I'm very sorry for my initial response and that the teachers aide was subjected to it. There were still mistakes made by the school - he shouldn't have been there until more facts surfaced. In any case, times are-a changin...it's a shame that anyone would do such a thing for it only serves to invalidate the cries of those who truly are subjected to the horrors of molestation.

Sil Lum TigerLady said:
That's just incomprehensible to me. I'm very sorry for my initial response and that the teachers aide was subjected to it. There were still mistakes made by the school - he shouldn't have been there until more facts surfaced.

That's quite possibly true - but none of us were there and none of us know the history of this student and aide. About 12 years ago, when I first became a teacher, an 8 year-old student stood up in the middle of her 3rd grade class and announced that her mother had beaten her again the night before. The classroom teacher nearly went ballistic about any person who could beat a child. Being a special ed teacher (and therefore a second adult in the classroom) I took her down to the office where the nurse, the principal, and I asked her where she hurt and to show us her bruises. She took off her shirt and showed us clean, unmarked skin. Nonetheless, we were required to report it, just in case. The nurse contacted social services who, it turned out, had a file on this child - who had made numerous reports in the past, none of them substantiated despite multiple exams. This girl had been making such claims since kindergarten.

A couple of years later, I was working in another school when a 7th-grade girl in my class began acting up. I told her to either settle down or I would call her mother. Her response (not quite verbatim, but close): Go ahead and call her. She won't do anything, because she knows if she does I'll call social services and tell them she hit me, and they'll take me away and she won't get money for me.

Granted, these are extreme cases, but it left with a healthy dose of skepticism. This is not to say that most children lie about such things - most of them don't, and I have had too many children report abuse to me that, sadly, was later substantiated - but sometimes reporting abuse of various types is an attention-getting device (the first girl) or a means of manipulation (the second girl). Reporting abuse that did not occur is more common in older children, and reports of sexual abuse against young children are rarely fabricated by the child - if they are fabricated, it is often at the instigation of a parent, as a means of cutting off custody.

It is not only my experience that leads to this conclusion - a google search revealed disturbing statistics about false reporting http://www.google.com/search?q=repo...ient=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

Sil Lum TigerLady said:
In any case, times are-a changin...it's a shame that anyone would do such a thing for it only serves to invalidate the cries of those who truly are subjected to the horrors of molestation.

This is, sadly, all too true.

Oh my gosh, this is such a horrible story.

The only thing extra that I will add is that...what really bothers me is stuff like the radio station calling the guy "Father of the Year" and scoring him some Daytona comps.

I can see where it was understandable to sympathize with the father (figure) when the story just broke. I don't think a discussion like this is hype...it's just a discussion.

But the genuine hype...the public lionizing this guy got from the radio station disturbs me. After seeing how the story has been unfolding...it disturbs me even more.

Sil Lum TigerLady said:
That's just incomprehensible to me. I'm very sorry for my initial response and that the teachers aide was subjected to it. There were still mistakes made by the school - he shouldn't have been there until more facts surfaced. In any case, times are-a changin...it's a shame that anyone would do such a thing for it only serves to invalidate the cries of those who truly are subjected to the horrors of molestation.

No worry. It is better to give the person the benefit of the doubt rather than go back to the bad old days where these allegations were either not believed or hushed up.

Thank goodness the foster father didn't bring a gun to the school and take the law into his own hands in an irredeemable way. This is an unmitigated tragedy for all..

Back