MA training without kicking is easy

If anybody can stand in the golden-rooster stance with the lifting knee this close to his chest, he should give himself a 100 score.

If your knee can point upward (instead of pointing forward), you can kick high. People can try it. It's not easy.
I know, I use to train that on a heavy bag to see if it could be done, only reason I did it was Dr Yang’s book cover…. just saying it could happen

Here's what I learned. If I want good kick endurance then I practice lifting the leg I do not practice kicking.

However, if I want good kicking technique then I practice kicking but not lifting the legs. I train students this way and they get the biggest improvement in kicking.

My kicking isn't what it used to be so I have to get back to this type of training while my mind is calm and has patience for it.

I know, I use to train that on a heavy bag to see if it could be done, only reason I did it was Dr Yang’s book cover…. just saying it could happen
After stretching, I always hold my lower leg and let my knee to touch my chest. It's one of the long fist basic stretching exercises. IMO, to maintain the flexibility during old age, the long fist system has more work than most systems.

When Chinese talk about "退功 (Tui Gong) - lose ability", a young guy may not understand what it is. Assume you can do forward-backward split when you were young. One day you start to feel it gets harder and harder to do it. If you still want to maintain this flexibility during old age, it can be very painful.

forward_split.jpg

Last edited:
After stretching, I always hold my lower leg and let my knee to touch my chest. It's one of the long fist basic stretching exercises. IMO, to maintain the flexibility during old age, the long fist system has more work than most systems.
Oh, I would not do any of that now.. I was in my 20s and 30s when I was doing things long fist

Kicks require more energy than punches. You heard it here first, folks!

Latest Discussions

Back