List of 200+ styles of Martial Arts from the world

Since anyone can break off one style, or start from scratch, and create their own new style and have only one teacher at one location and have a couple of students my guess is that making a complete list is, as a practical matter, impossible. Unless, it is limited to one location, say the city block I live on.

I asked AI to list the ones in China. It didn't list Jow Ga Kung Fu which is what I would normally assume what would happen

But it's still a good point if someone wanted to dive deeper into what's out there.
Out of curiosity, I tested with openai, asking for a complete list of martial arts. It didn't provide me one, but instead provided me with examples of popular martial arts. I asked how many martial arts there are, and it said thousands. I tried asking for a complete list of 200 martial arts, and it yelled at me that you can't have a complete list, and there are way more than 200 martial arts.

I'm curious as to why anything thinks it's possible to get a complete list. And if it is, what the point of that is supposed to be. If you got that list today, it will be outdated in less than a week.

As others have noted, it's a lengthy list, and has some surprises in there that I wouldn't have thought of (and a few that I'd question being unique arts vs particular schools/clubs) as well as some inaccuracies.

Latest Discussions

Back