List of 200+ styles of Martial Arts from the world

Considering the only ken/mpo styles they list are shorinji and american, the list is missing some stuff

I did learn something. I thought gouging and rough & tumble were the same thing. Turns out, they're not.

Where’s the British martial art of ‘ecky thump’?
We laughed at very different things in the 70s.

American Karate isn’t on there. You know why?

Because I’m a secret agent. I love being a secret agent. 😳

This kind of strikes me as something likely written by an AI prompt. Low effort attempt to generate clicks.
I asked AI to list the ones in China. It didn't list Jow Ga Kung Fu which is what I would normally assume what would happen

But it's still a good point if someone wanted to dive deeper into what's out there.

There are so many inaccuracies that show little depth of effort and research.

1. American kenpo normally refers to Ed Parker's style. When I studied with Parker, boxing and judo moves were not part of the system.

2. I would not list jeet kun do as an American style. (Perhaps Lee would call it a "non-style.") It's mostly wing chun based.

3. Iaido does have a series of kata starting or fully done in a kneeling position, but there are many that are done from the standing position. Re-sheathing the blade (noto) is a completely separate movement.

4. Karate is one of the arts but the various styles are not detailed as in kung fu. Also, it's described as being from Japan rather than Okinawa. Karate's development began prior to the island being annexed in 1879.

5. Bo-jutsu is also listed as a Japanese art, but again, it was present in Okinawa early on, although it may have Japanese and Chinese influences as well.

6. Krav maga is an Israeli MA. Last I looked on a map, Israel is not Asian.

These just concern the MA I'm familiar with. My African MA knowledge is limited (non-existent) but no doubt there are some tribes that would also take some exception to this list's descriptions.

Latest Discussions

Back