Legal vs ethical vs moral

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Quick intro in the scenario:
Farm lists old horses for sale.
Old horses end up going to an auction
being bought for 60 buck by a broker
broker also sells across the boarder to slaughter houses.

So far we have no laws broken, right.

notorious blogger gets a hold of the story.
previous owner of old horse come forward and purchases said horse from broker (at mark up, naturally, the guy is a dealer, after all)

Now, here we are coming to the juicy part.

No laws were broken, a person can still sell and buy property as he/she sees fit.

But since this property was an old horse with limited value and on the possible one way trip to the meat plant (AKA glue factory, though factually not the same) a whole bunch of people think it is within their right to chastise the seller farm.
(not to mention those lovely calls to send hate mail....)

This is not a housewife posing on her late night webshow, or somebody selling bathtub gin...this is somebody selling a horse.

And there I am , as left extremist as I am trying to convey the idea that it is nobody's business what the farm does with the horse. It is after all legal.
Is it ethical to put an old horse with limited use into a sale like that?
Or moral?

Given the possible (and likely) outcome....

I consider the consequences of meddling in other people's affairs on the grounds of my preference: I know I do things some other people might not agree with, but nothing illegal. Do I want those people snooping around my business?

(the greater issue is complex and won't be solved any times soon, so don't even try, but on a small scale....yiekes)

LOL, my thought exactly...
Horse people should be more like 4H and beef people...at the end of the day, the freezer is full. (but then some of those crazy bats pump more stuff into the horses than they carry for themselves in the medicine cabinet...)

A few years ago California passed a law outlawing the sale of horses for use as food. Because, go look, this is the stated reason, they are companion animals. As a kid, I raised rabbits, they were pets, but, ultimately, they were dinner.

A few years ago California passed a law outlawing the sale of horses for use as food. Because, go look, this is the stated reason, they are companion animals. As a kid, I raised rabbits, they were pets, but, ultimately, they were dinner.
yep, poor old Trigger may not be served up for dinner in Cali.
It is even illegal to buy it from out of state and eat it. Great job for Cali.

But they are still shipped for slaughter....they jusy go to Mexico and Canada....

well, I pretty much got myself hammered for saying that it is not so cool to call the seller 'scumbag' :asian:

How far does the first amendment reach anyhow? Does it cover hate mail, electronic or other? name calling?

well, I pretty much got myself hammered for saying that it is not so cool to call the seller 'scumbag' :asian:

How far does the first amendment reach anyhow? Does it cover hate mail, electronic or other? name calling?
I think you do have some evidence and IP addresses you could mention to the police.
Sean

I think you do have some evidence and IP addresses you could mention to the police.
Sean

I think even a proxy does not fully protect you if the pros look at you.
I know if I had hate mail coming because somebody didn't like the way I sold a horse I'd wear out the printer cartridges before I'd head to the police...

Somehow manner s have gone right out the door these past years....

Wait, what is the problem here. People are upset because the horse was going to be eaten? Is that it?

Lord help them if those people ever go to France then. Or to Vietnam if they are dog lovers.

Wait, what is the problem here. People are upset because the horse was going to be eaten? Is that it?

Yes, Trigger is spechul :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong: I don't agree with the in between from barn to meat plant. It could be a whole lot better, but good grief. You ought to hear the arguments....

or korea or china where they eat CATS!!!!

Dear god. I'm a cat lover.

I know what my cat eats...some of it....I'll pass on that meal.

But then again, I am pretty well fed. If I wasn't, who's to know.
her name is Apple, I could always pass it off as vegetarian. :EG:

Latest Discussions

Back