IT and the martial arts

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just had an aha moment in IT, training some Level 1's, and simultaneously thinking about martial arts. Nothing revelatory, or even anything I hadn't subconsciously thought about already, but it's cool when world's collide.

In most martial arts, you're learning techniques first. Specific things to connect together, and to react to specific instances. As you get better at them, you start making them more flexible, and the end goal eventually is to understand the why of how it all works, so you can adapt as you need. Understanding why pushing someone at a 45 degree angle might have a different impact than a 70 degree angle, why you might step to the outside of one punch or inside of another, come in close/go out far, why you distribute weight a certain way, etc.

Even if I don't understand it for all arts, I know that there's some fundamental logic behind it that is the reason those specific things work.

It's the same thing for IT. When you start out, you're learning how to get specific printers connected, how to troubleshoot people not having internet, or not being able to open their mail. There's guides out for troubleshooting each of those based on your exact situation, that you can follow and 90% of the time resolve the issue. Then eventually, you get to the point where you notice similarities, and while you never worked with X before, you worked with Y and it's similar enough you can figure X out pretty quickly.

But there's also a level of understanding "This is how the network works, and if something is broken, it means somewhere along this connection it's not working properly", and being able to figure out the why and how of the fixes, rather than just the what. Which is the same level you're aiming for in martial arts.

Just had an aha moment in IT, training some Level 1's, and simultaneously thinking about martial arts. Nothing revelatory, or even anything I hadn't subconsciously thought about already, but it's cool when world's collide.

In most martial arts, you're learning techniques first. Specific things to connect together, and to react to specific instances. As you get better at them, you start making them more flexible, and the end goal eventually is to understand the why of how it all works, so you can adapt as you need. Understanding why pushing someone at a 45 degree angle might have a different impact than a 70 degree angle, why you might step to the outside of one punch or inside of another, come in close/go out far, why you distribute weight a certain way, etc.

Even if I don't understand it for all arts, I know that there's some fundamental logic behind it that is the reason those specific things work.

It's the same thing for IT. When you start out, you're learning how to get specific printers connected, how to troubleshoot people not having internet, or not being able to open their mail. There's guides out for troubleshooting each of those based on your exact situation, that you can follow and 90% of the time resolve the issue. Then eventually, you get to the point where you notice similarities, and while you never worked with X before, you worked with Y and it's similar enough you can figure X out pretty quickly.

But there's also a level of understanding "This is how the network works, and if something is broken, it means somewhere along this connection it's not working properly", and being able to figure out the why and how of the fixes, rather than just the what. Which is the same level you're aiming for in martial arts.
I like that. I trained IT guys for a long time, and when we developed the course, we focused on framing every lesson around the same basic troubleshooting model. The idea was to instill that sense of an underlying process as early as possible.

I was always taught, and I believe, that the Martial Arts can be a Microcosm of life.

Making associations to different fields helps with "unification" and deeper understanding. After all, everything is this one world we live it, are connected and dependent in different ways.

My latest insight (pulled from foundations of quantum physics) into trying to understand MA better (after a few years training, still a beginner in techniques etc) is that fitness of MA system is contextual, both to the environment and to the practitioner. So seeking the optimal MA system has no unique universal answer, just like it is difficult to answer what the "most fit" animal spiece is or what the "most stable" particle would be. It has to be understood in an evolutionary and interacting context.

This is why I am doubtful that "blind application of a style", to an arbitrary practitoner, in an arbitrary environment, would lead to the optimal system.

So I try to learn techniques and strategies, and then figure you what works best for me. It is my philosophyo of learning so far. I am faithful to myself first, to my style second. This is I think also what founders would have wanted. I see the style as as template, not to be mimiced in absurdum, but to be inspiriation and adoptable to each one. This philosophy of students (I think at least) is also what will make the style live and evolve into the future.

I was always taught, and I believe, that the Martial Arts can be a Microcosm of life.
I very much symphatise with this as well, am I am curious to hear you elaborate it a bit, like in what sense. By a method of your choice, analogy or abstraction. And did you hear this from an MA teacher?

Just as an aside, I'll share the thought that Robert Redmond on the now sadly defunct 24fightingchickens had about kata.
His idea was that certain kata were 'root databases' and contained the essence of a whole fighting system. The idea being that kanku dai is the 'root database' for shotokan, and that some other styles of karate used different 'root databases'. He also believed (probably still believes) that the motion at the very beginning where you raise your hands up and bring them down in a circle was a way of signalling that this was the root database kata. I think it's more likely to be what Marc 'animal' MacYoung calls a 'fence', personally, but there you go

Back