Interesting Food Combinations from your area

Originally posted by PAUL
NYC style pizza S**Ts on Chicago style pizza!

:D

WHATCHO TALKIN' BOUT WILLIS?

They dont eat PIZZA in New York. Its a PIE.

And in England, at least at the shop I went to in Russel Square, London, you can get tomato slices on the pizza. Yumness!

My dad eats Cheese and Jelly sandwiches. Apparently, from what my grandmother says, its a new york thing.

I like malt vinegar on my french fries. I discovered that in Ireland.

In Ireland, when you order a "Chicken Salad Sandwich" it doesn't mean mashed up chicken with mayo and relish like it would here... its slices of deli chicken, with cole slaw (or some other type of "salad") on top of the chicken slices... DELICIOUS!

Originally posted by Nightingale

In Ireland, when you order a "Chicken Salad Sandwich" it doesn't mean mashed up chicken with mayo and relish like it would here... its slices of deli chicken, with cole slaw (or some other type of "salad") on top of the chicken slices... DELICIOUS!

Yes! I got ham salad...slices of ham with a SALAD on top! Yummy!

...and jacket potatoes as compared to baked potatoes....and their "american" breakfast...scrambled eggs, bacon (our ham), sausage, and baked beans...interesting...lotsa fried, guess it makes it american :D

Boston [MA] baked beans & brown bread, Boston cream pie & Parker House rolls

I grew up on Boston Brown Bread.. it comes in a can (it's a steamed molasses semi-sweet bread) you open both ends.. and either warm or room temp, spread it with cream cheese.. it's really good~! I can't find it below the mason dixon line:(

Grandma Brown's baked beans.. now those are very good.. not your dark molasses baked beans.. but a very light brown.. and served with bacon on top.. again can't find them around here.

Brooklyn [NY] corned beef on rye, Coney Island hot dogs & egg creams
Egg Creams.. yeah sounds weird but they are sooo good..
recipe:
THE ORIGINAL BROOKLYN CREAM

YIELD: 2 servings

* 2 cups milk
* 1/2 cup seltzer (from a pressurized bottle)
* 1/4 cup chocolate syrup, such as Fox's U-Bet Syrup

Pour 1 cup of milk into a 12-ounce glass. Top with a spritz of seltzer so that the white foam reaches the top of the glass. Place a spoon in the glass. Pour 2 tablespoons of the chocolate syrup into the glass, hitting the bottom of the spoon if possible, and stir with quick strokes to blend the syrup into the milk without deflating the foam. Repeat to make another egg cream. Serve immediately.

Buffalo [NY] chicken wings

Ever wondered bout the Chicken wing?

I call them 'bird hinges' :D
I grew up near Buffalo and it was a natural food to have any ole time :)

Charleston [SC] Huguenot torte

Chicago [IL] deep dish pizza, Italian beef sandwiches

Cincinnati [OH] chili (with beans) & opera creams

Denver [CO] Denver sandwich

Hartford [CT] election cake

Long Island [NY] duck & potatoes

Mackinac Island[MI] fudge

Milwaukee [WI] German [Fest] dishes

Monterey [CA] jack cheese

New Orleans [LA] Po'Boys, Muffulettas, Bananas Foster

Philadelphia [PA] cheese steak, sticky buns, Philadelphia-style vanilla ice cream, soft hot pretzels with mustard, pepper pot soup

Oh those soft hot huge pretzels with mustard are sinful ~!!
Philly Cheese Steak recipe

Pittsburgh [PA] City chicken, cookie tables Italian wedding soup, & Pittsburgh-style steaks (black on the outside, red on the inside)

Portsmouth [NH] orange cake

St. Louis [MO] toasted ravioli & gooey butter cake

San Antonio [TX] chili

San Francisco [CA] sourdough bread

Sheboygan [WI] bratwurst I & II

Thousand Islands [NY] dressing

I lived in Cape Vincent in the 1000 Islands.. and man the best 1000 Island dressing is found there.. Non compares throughout the states I've been to.

USA apple pie

Everyone who's been to the Jersey Shore has better say the fudge! I believe it's a Cape May that the most popular fudge shop is? Mom and I visited once and it was divine!

One of the local historical landmarks here in Roanoke is the Hotel Roanoke (been around since the railroad was king) and they serve something called Peanut soup. It's actually made with peanut butter, I believe, vice peanuts, but I've been told it is very good.

Anyone else here ever eaten squirrel brains and scrambled eggs with black eyed peas on new years day?

Back