I don't know what to make of this?

It’s real, I know Kyle personally.

Anyway. It's from here.

I haven't watched the whole thing.

And black comedy is more of a European/arthouse thing.

Okay....well thanks, I think. At least I now have more context for it.. Must be an acquired taste.

Thanks, for finding it.

Another really interesting dark comedy is called the art of self defence.

But it is just off putting all the time. Which is the intention I assume.

Here is a similar video, except I think it is intended to be actual. I assume, because of his uniform, the kneeling guy is an Aikedo practitioner. He sure makes it look easy. If he was in an establishment and a stranger come up and grabs his arm will this work?

Here is a similar video, except I think it is intended to be actual. I assume, because of his uniform, the kneeling guy is an Aikedo practitioner. He sure makes it look easy. If he was in an establishment and a stranger come up and grabs his arm will this work?

It’s not Aikido, but Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu, which is the parent art of Aikido.

It’s not at all a comedy skit like the first video. It’s a demo, in which the individuals receiving the techniques are feeding the exact energy that the instructor is asking them to and are making no effort to use their skills to counter the techniques. Such demos always have a certain element of unrealism for the sake of illustrating concepts. In the case of Aikido and Daito Ryu, the demos are often stylized to the point of being even more unrealistic. That’s not necessarily a problem if the practitioners and viewers understand it as an idealized, exaggerated demonstration of a concept. It can be more of a problem if people confuse it with actual application. The concepts can work in a real encounter, but the application will probably not look the same.

Thanks for you reply. I think that principle could be applied to other activities where things work well on paper (or with complying participants) but not so well in the real application (non-compliant participants).

Thanks very much.

Latest Discussions

Back