How many clubs with 500+ athletes in the USA?

zamirca

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm doing a little research into the size of martial arts clubs in the USA, and I was wondering if any of you are familiar with any research or ideas about how many martial arts athletes we might have in the USA? Particularly clubs with over 500 athletes. What do you think?

Thanks everyone!

I have no idea where to find good sources on the topic, but anecdotally, I can say that clubs/schools with over 500 students are not at all common. The large majority of schools and clubs have significantly fewer members.

Hi guys,

I'm doing a little research into the size of martial arts clubs in the USA, and I was wondering if any of you are familiar with any research or ideas about how many martial arts athletes we might have in the USA? Particularly clubs with over 500 athletes. What do you think?

Thanks everyone!
Martial arts athletes = 4,768. Fat, stiff, old ones holding a true Dan grade = 1.3 million. Made up MA athletes = 300 million. clubs with over 500 MA athletes = 3.141592654… that’s what I think, anyway.

Hi guys,

Thanks everyone!
Per statista, the number of martial arts participants in the United States in 2023 is 6.61 million.

Per statista, the number of martial arts participants in the United States in 2023 is 6.61 million.
6.61 million students. Viewing martial topics on Youtube? Enrolled in schools and programs? Training semi-privately under the radar? Honestly, how can anyone know?

Statista, like political polsters, has a vested interest in presenting their figures as well researched and accurate ...but really? I mean, how do you even define what a "martial arts participant" is? 🤔

Last edited:
Honestly, how can anyone know?
My guess would be population sampling. You take a random sampling of the population (or a representative sampling, depending) and ask them a bunch of questions. One of those questions would be "Do you train martial arts". You then balloon it to the overall population with X degree of certainty.

My guess would be population sampling. You take a random sampling of the population (or a representative sampling, depending) and ask them a bunch of questions. One of those questions would be "Do you train martial arts". You then balloon it to the overall population with X degree of certainty.
Yeah, that sounds possible. Or they are applying some kind of algorythm to stats gleaned from people's online activity. Either way, what really matters is how many people walk in through your door and decide to sign up!

Kind of like political polls. They may be useful, but election results may be a whole different thing.

6.61 million students. Viewing martial topics on Youtube? Enrolled in schools and programs? Training semi-privately under the radar? Honestly, how can anyone know?

Statista, like political polsters, has a vested interest in presenting their figures as well researched and accurate ...but really? I mean, how do you even define what a "martial arts participant" is? 🤔
I think Gyakuto gave as valid an answer as anyone else. He’s really cool 😎

Seems likely. However, I doubt if anyone is doing the detailed breakdown to distinguish between those who say "yes" because they took TKD classes for 3 weeks a year ago vs those who say yes because they watch YouTube and read books vs those who say yes because they take classes once or twice a week vs those who say yes because they are competitive athletes who train hardcore 5 days per week.

Even the phrasing of the question could probably make a significant difference in the numbers: "Do you train martial arts?" vs "Have you trained martial arts?" vs "Have you trained martial arts in the last month" vs "Do you currently attend a martial arts school" vs "Are you a martial artist?", etc.

If you already know the answers to the OP's question, great. But why are some of you hitting Google and doing the OP's legwork?

Hi guys,

Thanks everyone!
Okay, just spit it out. What are you trying to sell?

Back