Going for testing for vertigo issues

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Went to see an ENT doctor last week for vertigo issues I suffer from. Basically, dizziness when looking up, or doing things like standing in the shower with my eyes closed, or in the dojo when trying to balance on one leg, etc. I also sometimes have room spinning issues when lying in bed at night (I do not drink or take drugs). Doctor checked for what he thought it might be, which is apparently called Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), which he ruled out. So now I have to get an VNG/ENG test at a local hospital, and a complete MRI of my head at another hospital (if my insurance approves it; we're waiting to hear). I have service-connected tinnitus from the VA; I am told this may or may not be related to that.

Anyone have anything similar?

Went to see an ENT doctor last week for vertigo issues I suffer from. Basically, dizziness when looking up, or doing things like standing in the shower with my eyes closed, or in the dojo when trying to balance on one leg, etc. I also sometimes have room spinning issues when lying in bed at night (I do not drink or take drugs). Doctor checked for what he thought it might be, which is apparently called Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), which he ruled out. So now I have to get an VNG/ENG test at a local hospital, and a complete MRI of my head at another hospital (if my insurance approves it; we're waiting to hear). I have service-connected tinnitus from the VA; I am told this may or may not be related to that.

I suspect there are many possible causes. I had vertigo one time caused by a virus that subsided as I recovered.

I hope you get some relief.

I suspect there are many possible causes. I had vertigo one time caused by a virus that subsided as I recovered.

I hope you get some relief.
I've had it for years. Just decided to have an ENT take a look at it. I've complained about it to my primary care doc before and he's never suggested anything I could do to fix it.

Have you heard of Epley manoeuvre?
I've heard good things about it.

I had vertigo, and the medical types had no idea what to do about it, so it's hard to say if it was vertigo, because sometimes they don't know if it's a disease or a symptom. Emerg doc thought I had a fever, when I didn't. Put me on Gravol. All I could do (pretty much) was sit still with my eyes closed, or crawl to the bathroom. Actually, the only thing I could do on two feet was stand in santi shi, which was welcome, but odd.

A few days later, at home, we called the Provincial house call service, and the Doc (Dr. Qi, of all things) put me on Serc right away. I started improving, and it took about another twenty days to get back to normal.

I've had vertigo problems, tinnitus, and other related issues since my late 20's. They started after I was dumped straight down on my head by an improperly executed throw in Hapkido. They've flared up on and off for the last ~25years, most notably after I was rear ended at a stop light by some idiot who was texting and driving. The thing that was most helpful for me was significantly improving my neck strength.

As long as I do a real neck workout with some regularity I don't seem to have problems outside of fairly strong triggers, like rolling out of a high fall, and I can do rolls with only mild vertigo. Even when I was in a more serious accident (again rear ended by someone texting while driving) I avoided any serious symptoms. When I get lazy about the neck workout the problems gradually return until I get serious about it again.

I've had vertigo problems, tinnitus, and other related issues since my late 20's. They started after I was dumped straight down on my head by an improperly executed throw in Hapkido. They've flared up on and off for the last ~25years, most notably after I was rear ended at a stop light by some idiot who was texting and driving. The thing that was most helpful for me was significantly improving my neck strength.

As long as I do a real neck workout with some regularity I don't seem to have problems outside of fairly strong triggers, like rolling out of a high fall, and I can do rolls with only mild vertigo. Even when I was in a more serious accident (again rear ended by someone texting while driving) I avoided any serious symptoms. When I get lazy about the neck workout the problems gradually return until I get serious about it again.
Sorry to hear about it, but glad you've found something that works for you.

I had a Videonystagmography (VNG) test yesterday. I had an MRI of my head a couple weeks ago. On the 30th, I go back to my ENT to see what's what.

I have to say, the VNG was not the most pleasant experience I've ever had. I noticed that my 'nystagmus' response and dizziness were much stronger in my right ear than my left. The doctor administering the test told me that normally, both ears respond the same way. My left ear has worse tinnitus and more hearing loss. I guess my ENT will explain what it all means.

I used to perform ‘caloric’ tests where ice water is irrigated into the ears to elicit nystagmus. It really did the trick!

I used to perform ‘caloric’ tests where ice water is irrigated into the ears to elicit nystagmus. It really did the trick!
The audiologist who performed the test said she used to use water, but it was very messy and the hot/cold air worked better anyway. I don't know, but it sure did dizzy me up some.

The audiologist who performed the test said she used to use water, but it was very messy and the hot/cold air worked better anyway. I don't know, but it sure did dizzy me up some.
In ancient Japan, they would perform caloric washes and then make Karateka perform difficult kicks for 8hrs. It’s true, I tell you!

In ancient Japan, they would perform caloric washes and then make Karateka perform difficult kicks for 8hrs. It’s true, I tell you!
In the Marine Corps, we did the 'Dizzy Izzy'. Chug a beer, then put your forehead on the end of a baseball bat, with the other end on the deck. Spin in a circle around the stationary baseball bat 20 times, then run 50 yards. This was done in flights of competitors. Losers got to chug another beer. Winners did also. Repeat until one does the Big Spit.

In the Marine Corps, we did the 'Dizzy Izzy'. Chug a beer, then put your forehead on the end of a baseball bat, with the other end on the deck. Spin in a circle around the stationary baseball bat 20 times, then run 50 yards. This was done in flights of competitors. Losers got to chug another beer. Winners did also. Repeat until one does the Big Spit.
I guess it pays to be a loser. We used to ride down the hallways in mop buckets and joust. This activity was never done in a sober state. We were safe though; all PPE was worn ;)

Back