Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GM unveils tiny, futuristic concept car for cities

SHANGHAI - It's not quite as foldable as the space vehicle that cartoon figure George Jetson pops into his briefcase as he bops into the office.But the EN-V concept car, GM's "automobile solution" for the future, just might fit into an apartment foyer.
General Motors and its Chinese partner SAIC will showcase the "Electric Networked-Vehicle" launched Wednesday in their joint pavilion at the Shanghai Expo, which opens May 1 and runs for six months.

Sweet.

Sadly, most likely not a US car.

Bob, things are changing and it will take some time.

See:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=gm+spark+car&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=GM+Spark&gs_rfai=

The Chevrolet Spark

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/09q2/2012_chevrolet_spark-car_news

WHAT: Slightly smaller than the Aveo, the Spark is designed, engineered, and built in Korea. The price should start below $12K.
WHY: If gas prices surge, GM will need fresh and attractive small cars to lure fuel-frightened buyers. Also shows GM’s commitment to building cars for all markets.
WHO: Honda Fit, Ford Fiesta, Toyota Yaris, Hyundai Accent, Nissan Versa, Kia Rio, Suzuki SX4, Smart Fortwo.
WHEN: Geneva show debut, Europe and Asia get it in 2010, we wait until 2011.

I am working on my next program that will have the Spark in Korea, US (* Mostly California - but elsewhere as well *) and in Europe.

Cool thread. I love tiny cars. This summer I'm trading in my Elantra HB for a Smart fortwo. Here's a vid of Smart fortwo v. Mitsubishi I.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love an economical, environmentally friendly car option. Unfortunately, they either don't make it to the US, or end up not economical, for reasons we've touched on before. Or, lack most of what would make it useful for me. I couldn't buy this car (not enough space to haul camera gear), but for someone like my mom who just needs a car to get to and from the grocery store or doctor, it's perfect. Provided it's not $35,000. LOL!

Bob et al,

A write up from a GM emplyee who got to see the concept vehicle.

http://communicator.gm.com/v5/apps/enewsline/uploads/Gerald.pdf

Let me know of the link is not visible and I will quote some fo the article here.

EN-V, what the heck is an EN-V? I thought to myself as I replied to an invitation to attend a media sneak preview event with seven other local media and automobile magazine journalists on March 19th in the R&D building at the GM Technical Center in Warren, MI. To my surprise, I discovered I was about to report out on one of the most exiting technological achievements in transportation history.

GM, along with its strategic partner Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp. Group (SAIC) will unveil their vision for a concept urban mobility vehicle known as EN-V on March 24th, 2010 at The World Expo in Shanghai. So what is EN-V? EN-V is short for Electric Networked Vehicle. You may recall the Personal Urban Mobility and Accessibility (PUMA), a concept vehicle jointly developed with Segway, which debuted in early 2009? Well, EN-V is the PUMA with a splash of super cool styling, a weather proof exterior shell and gobs of future technology that redefine personal transportation and create a vision for urban transportation in 2030.

The sneak preview event began with a presentation by Chris Borroni-Bird (Director Advanced Technology Vehicle Concepts), and Clay Dean (Director of Design). Chris and Clay put together and incredible presentation highlighting EN-V’s characteristics and attributes, constraints of current urban transportation offerings, vehicle operating costs and population growth statistics in urban areas that left the media and me in awe thinking of the potential this technology has for the world of transportation. I admit I was thinking of "The Jetsons". I couldn’t wait to go to the lab and see the EN-V first hand! I felt sort of overwhelmed as I walked the long corridor through the R&D building with the rest of my fellow journalists, passing by the labs where GM has and is developing some of the greatest transportation technology ever, to where the EN-V’s were waiting our review.

Three EN-V’s were on display for our observation: Pride, Laugh and Magic. Each EN-V hosts a unique design theme demonstrating its individualism and personality. I wished we could have driven one of them, but I’m sure there were concerns we’d crash them. This would have been highly unlikely due to the onboard crash avoidance sensors. The EN-V is constructed of lightweight materials typically found in aircraft and racing applications. The requirement for crashworthiness at high speeds found in the traditional automobile is not found on the EN-V due to the relatively low max speed and network connectivity preventing crashes from occurring.

To truly appreciate how amazing this type of vehicle is you really have to let go of all of your preconceived perceptions about what an automobile is and what personal transportation means to you. Personal transportation to me begins with my legs moving me around offering me the freedom to move about in all directions using my eyes as sensors preventing me from crashing into stationary objects, mobile objects and other people. Similarly, EN-V does just that with seating for two, two wheels and an infotainment system with Wi-Fi technology to keep you connected. At first blush the EN-V seems super high tech and expensive, but keep in mind the EN-V is finely tuned to accomplish a specific mission, personal mobility. EN-V utilizes an electric propulsion system with integrated network connectivity allowing vehicle to vehicle communications, Global Positioning System (GPS) and distance sensors to achieve a fully autonomous
means of transportation. This technology allows the disabled, elderly and those less fortunate who cannot operate a traditional vehicle the freedom to travel about urban landscapes eliminating the constraints of mass transit such as bus and rail. Envision a public transit system where you could rent an EN-V like hitching a ride in a cab in downtown New York. Just tell the onboard computer where you’re headed, similar to your Garmin, and enjoy the ride!

Living in SE Michigan it’s difficult to fully comprehend the magnitude of the benefits to society the EN-V offers, but if you take a look at cities like New York, Mumbai or Shanghai where many people do not even own a car, you can realize the potential of the EN-V. People that live and work in densely populated urban areas do not own a vehicle due to operating costs and parking costs. The EN-V is a flexible alternative to the traditional mass transit systems of today. The cities of tomorrow will likely limit automobile usage due to energy challenges, congestion, parking, emissions and accidents. The EN-V offers a possible solution to the challenges of global urbanization. The growth of the auto industry is in emerging markets and newly developed cities. The EN-V can be a source of revenue for GM in the future by designing, building and selling the world’s best personal vehicles with the cooperation of local municipalities to developed EN-V infrastructures.

At the 1939 New York World’s Fair GM hosted their "Futurama" exhibit/ride to demonstrate to the world what the future of transportation would look like 20 years into the future. The technology presented was the "automated highway system", a network of superhighways connecting the nation. The EN-V is the "Futurama" of today and I’m proud to be part of the company moving the world forward.

Employee Journalist
Gerald Patterson

Last edited:
I'd love an economical, environmentally friendly car option. Unfortunately, they either don't make it to the US, or end up not economical, for reasons we've touched on before. Or, lack most of what would make it useful for me. I couldn't buy this car (not enough space to haul camera gear), but for someone like my mom who just needs a car to get to and from the grocery store or doctor, it's perfect. Provided it's not $35,000. LOL!

Bob, here is a link: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/21/gm-announces-350-million-for-lordstown-plant-to-bulid-chevy-cru/ that talks about the new Chevy Cruze being built in Lordstown Ohio.

Can't see 1st link, but second is sweet! :)

Back