Give me a side control escape. No, not that one.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've gotten decent (read: it works on white and blue belts) at what seems to be the "main" side control escape: frame until you get enough space to dig a knee in, use that to leverage a reguard.

I know there's a lot more options to escaping side control. Since I get stuck in side control a lot, I'd like to explore those options. What are the main ways you escape side control, other than the "main" one? What are some concepts or principles that can help me apply those? Or, if we are going to bring up the "main" one, how can attempting that escape chain into the others, or vice versa?

Your second side control escape should probably be using a far arm underhook to come up for a single leg.

This isn’t exactly the way I do it, but it’s a reasonable variation:
Another variation:
Another variation, but coming up for the back take instead of the single leg:

Yeah, the far side underhook is my go-to as well, either coming all the way up to take the back or driving for a single/double-leg from the side (that second vid is pretty much exactly what I do, from the look of things). It's worked pretty well for me on people at my level, the idea being that the underhook creates movement and unbalances the top person, forcing them to release the pressure and giving me room to manoeuver.

There's one guy who will consistently stop me in turtle position, though, so obviously I need to work on it, but even so, at least I'm not in side- control anymore.

At a certain level the upa is pretty fun. And opens up that first escape.

So you block their arm around your head, with your head and support their knee with your hand and sweep them. You don't need frames to try it. And will probably get frames if they defend it.

Screenshot_20240901_054107_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, the far side underhook is my go-to as well, either coming all the way up to take the back or driving for a single/double-leg from the side (that second vid is pretty much exactly what I do, from the look of things). It's worked pretty well for me on people at my level, the idea being that the underhook creates movement and unbalances the top person, forcing them to release the pressure and giving me room to manoeuver.

There's one guy who will consistently stop me in turtle position, though, so obviously I need to work on it, but even so, at least I'm not in side- control anymore.
Limp arm.

Back