GGM Reeders's Tibetan Tai Chi

GuruJim1

Green Belt
Reaction score
For those that doesn't know who Williem Reeders is he was one of the top Indonesian Kuntao Masters in the world. Also known as Liu Seong he was most noted for his Liu Seong Gung Fu and Tibetan Tai Chi. I hope you enjoy the vid.

GGM Reeders's Tibetan Tai Chi

That was nice, thanks. It looks incredibly similar to Uncle Bill's "Tai Keah" set, or the Indonesian Tai Chi we study. I've never heard of any Tibetan influence, or seen any similarities in other Tibetan martial arts.

I did enjoy the clip! Mas Reeders had some great material.

humm very interesting. Does tibetan tai chi follows the same lineages of chinese tai chi?

well, i know the Reeders system, and the man in the video pretty well and this form is not the Tibetan Taichi.

It's Indonesian Taichi.

regards.

It doesn't look like any of the Tibetan stuff I've seen, but it's an interesting clip.
Thanks for posting.
David

I had never heard of either Tibetan or Indonesian Tai Chi. Very interesting to watch in action. I'll be interested in seeing more of either one, and in learning the roots and theory underlying them.

Thank you!

sorry to report i can be of little help beyond offering up some slightly educated conjecture...

i have never seen the Tibetan tai chi set. there is a school in albaquerque that teaches it. i would hazard a guess that it actually might be this:

or not.

the Indonesian taichi is also of relatively unknown origin, at least to me. I dont rely practice teh taichi, rather i do the 'gung fu' end of the system. best i can say is that it is 'like' the gung fu, but done with taichi flavor/mechanics/techniques.

not a very substantial response to be sure, but it comes with the territory with my system. it is both a 'mixed' art, and fairly 'closed'. some styles have a history that is well documented. unfortunately, we have alot of gaps in the collective understanding of things.

the kung fu is pretty good, but the background is a bit murky.

regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry to report i can be of little help beyond offering up some slightly educated conjecture...

i have never seen the Tibetan tai chi set. there is a school in albaquerque that teaches it. i would hazard a guess that it actually might be this:

or not.

the Indonesian taichi is also of relatively unknown origin, at least to me. I dont rely practice teh taichi, rather i do the 'gung fu' end of the system. best i can say is that it is 'like' the gung fu, but done with taichi flavor/mechanics/techniques.

not a very substantial response to be sure, but it comes with the territory with my system. it is both a 'mixed' art, and fairly 'closed'. some styles have a history that is well documented. unfortunately, we have alot of gaps in the collective understanding of things.

the kung fu is pretty good, but the background is a bit murky.

regards.
The video does not show Liu Siong's Tibetan Tai-Chi. No videos of it exist online. To learn it, one must come to Albuquerque and study with his widow Marilyn, whom he taught and authorized to teach. See What is Tibetan Tai-Chi – Garuda Tibetan Taichi Albuquerque, NM faculty for an in-depth explanation of the system and how it differs fundamentally from all the other incomplete "Taichis." To wit, it is much more rigorous about breathing, tempo, weight transfer, gaze, etc. Unlike the other styles wihich only have around 14 distinct moves/postures, Tibetan Tai-Chi is a true long form with no repeated moves/postures.
In short, the system, which includes 2 Qi Gong sets (like the tai-chi in that it has obvious martial applications but done slowly), 5 hand katas, Sai, and bokken katas, Tai Son Zo (a grueling set of aerobic and strength exercises each done 100 times), and more, has everything that a person needs to increase and maintain chi, reduce stress, improve attention, memory and focus, strength (the 4th phase of Tibetan Tai-Chi is done in dynamic tension with heavy rings on the arms), maintain youthfulness into advanced age, and more.
As a student of Liu Siong and later his widow for 30 years, I can attest to its reputation as the authentic original style and a veritable fountain of youth.
Because of the system's difficulty and the years that it takes to learn it adequately enough to do it by oneself, only a very few competent practitioners exist, and very few new students have the will and courage necessary to make the commitment it demands, but it more than justifies the effort.

Back