Foot diseases?

opr1945

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When I was in Jr. hight and senior high school athelete's foot disease was a problem. I assume it was from the gym locker room shower area. Walker and showered bare foot. usually caught it 2-3 times a year. Apply cream, powder, wash and dry frequently cured. Same issue when I lived in a barracks except by then I learned of flip/flops and wore several pair out during my service time. (also toenail fungus and other diseases)

So why isn't that a problem in the Dojo where most everyone is always bare footed?

When I was in Jr. hight and senior high school athelete's foot disease was a problem. I assume it was from the gym locker room shower area. Walker and showered bare foot. usually caught it 2-3 times a year. Apply cream, powder, wash and dry frequently cured. Same issue when I lived in a barracks except by then I learned of flip/flops and wore several pair out during my service time. (also toenail fungus and other diseases)

So why isn't that a problem in the Dojo where most everyone is always bare footed?

I can’t speak for anyone else, but we always cleaned the dojo. The locker rooms and bathrooms as well.

Are you talking about athlete's foot? That's a common problem and can be picked up anywhere. Pick up some Lotrimin foot spray and put in on everyday. It's also probably in many dojos people just don't talk about it. Not a serious problem and very common

Super common problem, easily treated.
Drier environment. Also, you cannot know exactly where you were exposed.

Super common problem, easily treated.

Drier environment. Also, you cannot know exactly where you were exposed.
I would also add because we work out bare-footed versus laced up in cleats/shoes and sweaty all the time.

I live in, and was raised in, Michigan,USA. From 6-12 grade I walked to and from school every day. About 2.567 miles each way in winter snow, up hill both ways! My feet were always cold in the winter outdoors. Well, anyway I frequently developed hardened heels and then they would crack, occassionally bleed but always hurt when I walked on them. And take forever to heal. This would happen in the summer if I wore sandels. I came to believe that if I kept my feet warm/moist with socks and footwear the cracking would almost disappear. Much more pleasant life. So I found the above referenced article very interesting.

I am now living again in Michigan but the winters seem warmer than before, I rarely walk outside, and other than when sleeping, wear shoes and socks. So cracking has not been an issue. However, I am new to Karate and will watch from cracking in the winter from now on, especially in the Dojo. I don't want to contract any illness through cracked heels, nor pass anything on to others. There is one student who wears white shoes in the Dojo. It does not seem to be an issue. Have seen "Katate Shoes" for sale on the internet. Also, there are several students who wear an elastic wrap on their hands or feet.

I certaintly hope it does not become an issue for me.

In the above post "Why do we train in bare feet?" The author uses the following acronym "lfao." What does it stand for? Thanks.

In the above post "Why do we train in bare feet?" The author uses the following acronym "lfao." What does it stand for? Thanks.

Laughed f’n ash off, or something similar.

One thing I love about Shotokan is the fact that we use hardwood floors instead of mats. Less porous, less likely to harbor anything nasty.

I live in, and was raised in, Michigan,USA. From 6-12 grade I walked to and from school every day. About 2.567 miles each way in winter snow, up hill both ways! My feet were always cold in the winter outdoors. Well, anyway I frequently developed hardened heels and then they would crack, occassionally bleed but always hurt when I walked on them. And take forever to heal. This would happen in the summer if I wore sandels. I came to believe that if I kept my feet warm/moist with socks and footwear the cracking would almost disappear. Much more pleasant life. So I found the above referenced article very interesting.

I am now living again in Michigan but the winters seem warmer than before, I rarely walk outside, and other than when sleeping, wear shoes and socks. So cracking has not been an issue. However, I am new to Karate and will watch from cracking in the winter from now on, especially in the Dojo. I don't want to contract any illness through cracked heels, nor pass anything on to others. There is one student who wears white shoes in the Dojo. It does not seem to be an issue. Have seen "Katate Shoes" for sale on the internet. Also, there are several students who wear an elastic wrap on their hands or feet.

The trick to preventing cracked heels is to develop soft, supple skin on your feet. Hard skin cracks and can peel off if it stays moist.

If you are not a diabetic, use a foot file every other day at first, to gradually removed the hard skin (play it by ear as to the frequency). Then moisturise your feet and in particular your heels, morning and evening, with a foot cream that has 25-30% urea content. Use this foot cream everyday. You’ll have sandal- and dojo-ready feet in a couple of months!

I have a good friend who lives in Michigan on the upper peninsula. We served together for the entirety of our time in the military. He flew over to Massachusetts about 2 months back to hang out with me for a few days. It was the first time I had seen him in 14 years. He's told me plenty about the extreme winters they get up there on the UP.

I have a good friend who lives in Michigan on the upper peninsula. We served together for the entirety of our time in the military. He flew over to Massachusetts about 2 months back to hang out with me for a few days. It was the first time I had seen him in 14 years. He's told me plenty about the extreme winters they get up there on the UP.
KI Sawyer AFB? Had orders there but ended up in Germany instead. Looked like a cool place, if you like outdoorsy stuff. Long time ago, so things may have changed.

KI Sawyer AFB? Had orders there but ended up in Germany instead. Looked like a cool place, if you like outdoorsy stuff. Long time ago, so things may have changed.
We were stationed at Ft. Lewis, WA and spent pretty much our entire enlistments there with a few stints in Afghanistan and Iraq. Never been to KI Sawyer. I made a pit stop in Germany for about three days coming home on block leave from the Stan. That was back in 2007.

We were stationed at Ft. Lewis, WA and spent pretty much our entire enlistments there with a few stints in Afghanistan and Iraq. Never been to KI Sawyer. I made a pit stop in Germany for about three days coming home on block leave from the Stan. That was back in 2007.
JBLM is just down the road from me here. Nice.

I live and train in SE Michigan. Grew up in Illinois and Colorado. I've had athlete's foot, but not in decades and not while I was training in our dojo. We clean the floor and bathroom. No issues.

We did some training at Ft Lewis before it became a combined base. Lived in fighting holes in a training area for a week; it rained non-stop. Our training partners, Army MPs, lived in their barracks. Fond memories.

I have some great memories from those times. It was actually changed to JBLM while I was there. The guys and I would spend many nights out in Tacoma and Seattle. We had a lot of fun and most of those guys I still am in touch with.

You are at higher risk of athlete's foot if you:
  • Frequently wear enclosed footwear
(This is something that Westerners tend to do. I’veveven know people to put on shoes in the morning and only remove them when they go to bed 🤢)
  • Sweat heavily
(You can buy athlete’s foot talcum powders that are medicated and help absorb moisture.)
  • Share mats, rugs, bed linens, clothes or shoes with someone who has a fungal infection
(Perhaps a foot check before training is a good idea.)
  • Walk barefoot in public areas where the infection can spread, such as locker rooms, saunas, swimming pools, communal baths and showers
(Wear flip-flops in the shower and when walking around these sorts of areas.)

Latest Discussions

Back