FMAT: Applying the "Straightblast" to Stickfighting...

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Applying the "Straightblast" to Stickfighting...
By geezer - 07-07-2008 08:19 PM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Last weekend I was coaching at a workout where both Eskrima and Wing Tsun people were present. The Eskrima guys were doing some contact sparring, and one of my Wing Tsun colleagues broke off from his chi-sau and said something like, "That looks totally cool. Mind if I give it a go?" I was thinking, "Oh no... but he is an experienced martial artist, not my student, ...hell why not? It's a free country, ain't it?" So I gave him a helmet, glove and padded stick... and, predictably, he got whupped. So, he came over and asked me if I could help him. Now, this guy has messed around with sticks a bit, but really doesn't even have the basics down. So I decided to get creative. I showed him how to charge forward while striking downward with alternating left and right blows (angle 1 and 2). I told him use these strikes just like his WT straight blast, raining a continuous chain of head-shots as hard and fast as he could. Now this guy's big, strong and fast. He picked his moment, charged in, and literally beat his opponent to the ground. A couple of times. Then he went up against a more experienced guy who off-lined him and beat him. But the initial results were dramatic. Now, helmets and pads make a huge difference. I wouldn't recommend this strategy against a steel bar or a blade. But as basic self defense, I think it's worth looking into. How about you guys? Do any of you teach some kind of a "straight-blast" or "blitz" with sticks?

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions

Back