FMAT: A little Visayan lesson in "Pakal"

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
A little Visayan lesson in "Pakal"
By rshawtx - Thu, 29 May 2008 15:43:17 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

I don't know how many of you guys are interested in this but I think I have found where "Pakal" is from. Hiligaynon is a bit different because it is right in the middle/north of Cebu and to the south of the Southern Tagalog provinces so they fairly borrow words from each.

"Pakal" as we know isn't endemically Hiligaynon. It comes from a combination of the Cebuano verbs "Paksi" and its synonym "Laksi", both of which means "to rip". In Cebuano, a verb which is conjugated ending in "i" is a command or imperative. For instance:

Pikahon - transitive verb meaning "to strike with one's fist/box"
Pikahi - I am telling someone to hit with their fist

So its a new word that has come from juxtaposing 2 synonymous verbs. This is not uncommon if you've been to the Philippines. I know of parents whoo name their child by combining a synonym from the father's name and the mother's name (e.g. Julian and Alma have a daughter named "Julma").

To add another level of confusion to the matter, "Pakal" has taken a more colloquial meaning with the younger generations of Cebu and northern Mindanao which means "to eat voraciously" as opposed to what it was intended to mean in the Hiligaynon-speaking islands. But those are 2 different islands, cultures and dialects.

So my confusion came from (a) thinking it was Hiligaynon, (b) not realizing that it was a new word made up from 2 synonymous words, and (c) it's colloquial usage in Cebu and Mindanao versus what it was meant to convey in Iloilo and Panay where the term was originally coined.​

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions

Back