Exploring the Mystical Roots of Shaolin Kung Fu: Connections to Sufism

Sufi Shifu Sham

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey there, fellow martial artists! Have you ever wondered about the hidden links between the legendary Shaolin kung fu and the esoteric Sufi tradition?

I've been fascinated by this intersection, and I'd love to dive into it with you all.
I've been exploring this synthesis of the physical mastery of the martial arts and the mystical wisdom of Sufism ( After living for 1 year in the Shaolin temple and being a 42nd Generation sufi, and let me tell you, it's been a truly transformative experience. Beyond the dazzling physical displays, there's a deeper current flowing through these Sufi-influenced martial arts.

They've become an effective antidote to religious extremism, promoting increased tolerance and inner peace. In a world where performance is becoming more important that morals, how would you say traditional martial arts can help humanity as a whole?

Shaolin and Zen Buddhism have a very direct and well documented connection, but your first ever post on this site is the first time I’ve heard anyone make a link with Sufism. Would you please share your sources/ideas so we can evaluate it’s provenance?

Hey there, fellow martial artists! Have you ever wondered about the hidden links between the legendary Shaolin kung fu and the esoteric Sufi tradition?

I've been fascinated by this intersection, and I'd love to dive into it with you all.
I've been exploring this synthesis of the physical mastery of the martial arts and the mystical wisdom of Sufism ( After living for 1 year in the Shaolin temple and being a 42nd Generation sufi, and let me tell you, it's been a truly transformative experience. Beyond the dazzling physical displays, there's a deeper current flowing through these Sufi-influenced martial arts.

They've become an effective antidote to religious extremism, promoting increased tolerance and inner peace. In a world where performance is becoming more important that morals, how would you say traditional martial arts can help humanity as a whole?
I am aware of a few famous Kung Fu masters who were Muslim, such as the great Shuai-Chiao champion, Chang Tung-sheng (whose direct student, John Wang actively contributes to this forum). I am however unaware of any connection between Chinese martial arts and Sufism. Like Gyakuto above, I would appreciate any information you can share.

Shaolin and Zen Buddhism have a very direct and well documented connection, but your first ever post on this site is the first time I’ve heard anyone make a link with Sufism. Would you please share your sources/ideas so we can evaluate it’s provenance?
Greetings, the first time is noticed similarities were through a still Qi Gong practice where hands are over heart and pointed towards the sky (called Kiyam Al Layl for muslims: literally standing of the night), the second were the Long bead meditations), the ultimate were the tone chantings my Shifu shared with me on My last month of training. My Shifu only pointed to their relationships to organs and to regulate certain emotions, my Sufi Master purely spoke about their spiritual dimensions.
When I asked My Shifu 3 years later my Shaolin training on why he doesn t speak of spiritual dimensions, he smirked and said: start explaining body and mind, if people keep listening, then speak about spirit. I understood that during my training, I was not ready for that dimension yet.
I wrote a blog about it here, you are welcome in Marrakech HU Meditation

nope

rolling-eyes.gif

This is new to me. I have no knowledge about it Sufism and Kung Fu.

how would you say traditional martial arts can help humanity as a whole?
I have much to say on this topic. Martial Arts alone cannot. Individuals bring their own moral values into Martial Arts. Traditional Martial Arts, in isolation, cannot aid humanity as a whole.

When I asked My Shifu 3 years later my Shaolin training on why he doesn t speak of spiritual dimensions, he smirked and said: start explaining body and mind, if people keep listening, then speak about spirit.
I'm going to speak from experience on this one.
1. Not everyone believes in sprits, spiritualism, ghost, energy, or anything that is not of the physical or mental world. Talking about these things before you understand who you are talking to will get you classified as a crazy person.

Simply put, not all conversations are for everyone. In the eternal words of Funkadelic "Free your mind and your _ _ _ will follow"

Shao Lin itself is rooted in Chan Buddhism. However, in roots of Martial Arts oldest records, there is record of fighting styles leading as far back as before language itself. A prominent name of history is Siddhartha Gautama himself. He was a well versed martial artist being that he was raised in royalty and it was part of his curriculum. Fact has it, undefeated in every formal match.
I would maybe dig into Middle Eastern martial arts or tracing what martial arts spread from Mesopotamia if your really looking for an answer.

Shao Lin itself is rooted in Chan Buddhism. However, in roots of Martial Arts oldest records, there is record of fighting styles leading as far back as before language itself. A prominent name of history is Siddhartha Gautama himself. He was a well versed martial artist being that he was raised in royalty and it was part of his curriculum.
I’m well versed in the historical Buddha. There is no suggestion (In the Pali Canon, for example) that he was involved in the martial arts. Unless you’re referring to ‘Bruce Buddha’.
Fact has it, undefeated in every formal match.
Can you give a reference for this ‘fact’ please?

Last edited:
Jeezuz, let’s just circumvent the nonsense and get right to the real point, shall we?

For as long as the human species has walked the earth, we have been fighting each other. Fighting was not invented first by one group and then spread to others, as if prior to that they had no idea how to fight. That notion would be idiotic, and I am absolutely certain there are no idiots on Martialtalk. It was developed in some way by every group, and often influenced by other groups. There was no single “beginning” or root source for any of this stuff.

This thread appears to be one group of people trying to appropriate something (Far Eastern martial arts) that are steeped in a widely admired philosophy (Zen Buddhism) so that by association, their own and preferred philosophy appears more profound.

I assume in few pages, someone will ask:

- What's your MA style?
- Who is your MA teacher?
- How long have you trained?
- Do you step out of your front door with right leg first, or with left leg first?

Last edited:
I’m well versed in the historical Buddha. There is no suggestion (In the Pali Canon, for example) that he was involved in the martial arts. Unless you’re referring to ‘Bruce Buddha’.

Can you give a reference for this ‘fact’ please?
Couldn't find the origin but here are some sources

Also

A form of wrestling, an art that’s pretty ubiquitous around the world. Just because it existed in the same area as The historical Buddha lived, it doesn’t mean he engaged in the activity.
Just because something is written down and published on the Internet, it doesn’t mean it has substance. That article isn’t referenced either so it’s hearsay at best.

Referencing, from peer reviewed journals, is important because it means the proposition has been scrutinised by experts, has a traceable provenance and can be treated as ‘credible’.

So far, this thread is a pleasant but unsubstantiated conversation as one might have in a nice hostelry, after a few libations.

Also

Also

A form of wrestling, an art that’s pretty ubiquitous around the world. Just because it existed in the same area as The historical Buddha lived, it doesn’t mean he engaged in the activity.

Just because something is written down and published on the Internet, it doesn’t mean it has substance. That article isn’t referenced either so it’s hearsay at best.

Referencing, from peer reviewed journals, is important because it means the proposition has been scrutinised by experts, has a traceable provenance and can be treated as ‘credible’.

So far, this thread is a pleasant but unsubstantiated conversation as one might have in a nice hostelry, after a few libations.
It's all speculation, even yours. Pali Cannon isn't a credible source for martial arts history. The form of wrestling I listed was indeed practiced by Buddha if you dig deeper. And

He is a famous practitioner of the wrestling form mentioned if you actually look. But yes as far as his abilities, seems records are taken with grains of salts.

Latest Discussions

Back