Evolution of kick

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What in your way of thinking has been the most evolution of all the TKD kicks and why?

What was changed to make you think this way and how does if effect your sparring or self defense training?
Terry

the twist kick. I used to absolutely hate doing it. Now it is my favorite kick. I like to apply the kick in 3 main ways: discount the fact that front and back leg application is a given.

I like doing the kick from h-stance and sparring position. I also, for the sake of argument like to do a front leg roundhouse and finish off with a spinning twist kick. Done just like a turning or back side kick for the rotation and the twist kick uncoils with a ton of power. Great for sparring.
icon10.gif

Looking at what has changed in my view, probably the roundhouse kick. It went from the big round action using the ball of the foot to the short snappy action with the top of the foot. Quite the difference in application and strategy with the kick.

What in your way of thinking has been the most evolution of all the TKD kicks and why?

What was changed to make you think this way and how does if effect your sparring or self defense training?
Terry

I'd say the most "evolved" kick is the 540. The level of athleticism exhibited by some of the martial artists performng these kicks is absolutely amazing.

It has absolutely no effect on my sparring or self-defense training because I can't perform it. :( I am however, inspired to train harder (and practice my breakfalls diligently).

Miles

In my opinion, all Korean kicking in general has exhibited the most evolution, which explains why Tae Kwon Do kicking has become among the most unique of any of the arts. To the point that it is automatically assumed that someone with superior kicking ability has had Tae Kwon Do training.

I agree TKD kicks are recognizable because of the evolution; however, the evolution didn't make the TKD round house superior to the Muay Thai Round house. Unique conditions dictated the evolution of each.
Sean

For me the biggest change has been going from an old-style push kick (swing your knee up to your chest, sole of the foot facing towards opponent and big pushing motion) to a modern front-foot cut kick (sideways over, fast and snappy).

We also used to do back kicks as a back side kick, but the more modern way of knee passing the supporting knee is much better.

Those two changes have probably made the biggest difference in my sparring. I always used to be a really defensive fighter. I used to justify this as I was a good counter kicker so played to my advantage. With the passing of time and gaining of wisdom I realise it was more likely just that I was scared of attacking (emotional baggage from childhood bullying) in case I got countered.

Since my layoff I had one bad sparring session first off (I could barely catch my breath let alone attack) but since then have gone from strength to strength: mainly thanks to the cut kick (it's a great ground-maker-upper) and Dr Yang, Jin-Bang's video on combination kicking.

Although I'm much slower and less flexible than I used to be, I actually enjoy sparring more (which I didn't think was possible, I really enjoyed it when I last sparred).

To me, the Korean approach to kicking has resulted in technique that has gone from simply being a part of one's repertoire to a set of techniques that are actually to be feared (in old school anyway). Yes, Japanese styles do kick. But let's face it: it was the Koreans who showed the world what kicking techniques were really capable of. I think the Japanese and Chinese arts used kicking as a means to set up something else. For Koreans, for about as long as Tae Kwon Do has existed, kicking WAS the means to an end.

To me, the Korean approach to kicking has resulted in technique that has gone from simply being a part of one's repertoire to a set of techniques that are actually to be feared (in old school anyway). Yes, Japanese styles do kick. But let's face it: it was the Koreans who showed the world what kicking techniques were really capable of. I think the Japanese and Chinese arts used kicking as a means to set up something else. For Koreans, for about as long as Tae Kwon Do has existed, kicking WAS the means to an end.
Here here.
Sean

Back